Final Fantasy V PSN

Brandon Strader

ffv.jpg

Square Enix announced today that Final Fantasy V, the Super Famicom game that didn't make it to the states until 1999's Final Fantasy Anthology for the PlayStation, is in development for the PlayStation Network, enhanced by exclusive CGI cut scenes.

I personally hope it is enhanced with MOAR than that. Like, widescreen, and a graphical upgrade. :-)

If this isn't the GBA translation I see little reason in getting it over, well y'know, the GBA version.

Voice acting and CGI didn't make FFIV any more fun to play.

Well I guess it made it more funny with the terrifically misplaced voices and cheesy VA, but I don't think that was the intent.

If this isn't the GBA translation I see little reason in getting it over, well y'know, the GBA version.

Voice acting and CGI didn't make FFIV any more fun to play.

Well I guess it made it more funny with the terrifically misplaced voices and cheesy VA, but I don't think that was the intent.

there are many times i agree with you, then there are times like this that i wonder what crazy drug you are on that makes you think such silly things

ff4 ds was good

In terms of FFIV, I think that the Complete Collection coming to the PSP will be THE definitive version of FFIV to have, though I think the inclusion of the Advance version features is not the best choice (I thought the party-switching and Advanced dungeon was stupid), as I could have stood to see the story additions from the DS remake onto the PSP enhancement. But it'll be a good package, with Interlude and After Years without all that retarded episodic bullshit on the Wii, and I think sprites do the world of FFIV a whole lot more justice than the meh girly-chibi 3D stuff we saw on the DS release.

And come on, the DS voices were laaaaaame. Melodramatic anime dub quality.

I mean yeah, it's hilarious to hear

KAAAAAIN

WHY DO YOU NOWWW HESITATE?????

and all the other incredible over-acting, but like I said, I doubt that was the intent.

But this is all besides the main point. I only bring it up because the GBA translation I felt actually did justice to what i consider the best game in the entire franchise. It was fun, goofy in a good way, informal, and it captured the spirit of adventure that for me makes FFV the quintessential FF.

Going by the terrifically horrible Anthology translation would be a deal-breaker, honestly. Hearing Faris Arrrrrrrgh' her way through the dialogue would be insulting.

However, despite my complaints with the DS version's overacting, considering the goofy plot and characters, and the entirely laughable main villain (probably the most stupendously amazingly idiotic villain in the franchise, the great LORD EXDEATH), a joke dub might work for the setting. But something would probably be lost in translation, for sure. Definitely the pacing would be much slower, which wouldn't suit the punchy and pithy translation on the GBA.

While it's cool to see PSN getting stuff like this, would it shock anyone here if this version is just the Anthology version sans disc? It sounds a lot like it.

For all of the classic sprite-based FF games besides III, I say give me the GBA versions and I'm happy (I'll use my Gameboy Player if I want it on TV).

I am so glad I'm not the only one that thought the playstation version was terrible. I'm gonna hope this release isn't terrible, because I'd like to be able to muster a play-through of this game, for the sake of it, at least. I've never beat II either, because I hated the playstation port (or maybe it's just a horrible game), but I've heard good things about the GBA version.

Real or jokes? Pics or didn't happen? :3

Well it was a little bit of both. Basically when j2e worked on the English fan translation of the original FFIV, they added some of their own "class" to the game, one gem being a line said by Palom when the captain of the guards of Baron tries to join your party when you infiltrate Baron:

"I've seen more convincing acting from William Shatner!"

I can't find any actual pics for it, but I'll never forget having to stop the game to laugh for about 2 minutes. :-P

I am so glad I'm not the only one that thought the playstation version was terrible. I'm gonna hope this release isn't terrible, because I'd like to be able to muster a play-through of this game, for the sake of it, at least. I've never beat II either, because I hated the playstation port (or maybe it's just a horrible game), but I've heard good things about the GBA version.

no load times, new fun jobs, great translation, awesome challenging dungeons, Ninja Turtles reference... FFVA has got it all.

And let's not forget how pug-fugly the Anthology CGI was. I don't like Amano's artwork all that much, and I think making 3D models off of them is already like putting more poo on a poo sandwich.

I think his stuff is a little too 'girly' and everyone looks like a drowned corpse, but that's besides the point.

The point being

Final-Fantasy-Anthology.gif

that looks as ugly as hell. Or at the least I sure as heck don't like it. Same with the other Anthology CGI cutscenes (which were on the whole pretty lame).