Country Music Hate

Flare4War

Not all of it is about someones dog dieing or how terrible the breakup is going. Some of it is just about dancing or cruising around on a back road with your friends getting drunk. (pretty damn good music material if you've ever actually done it)

I guess living in Nashville for a few months took the edge off my country hate, but don't even get me started on Taylor Swift.

See, now this is the kind of vitriol I was looking for.

The thing about it is, you aren't going to find any Taylor Swift on my mp3 player, that much is true. But when her songs come on the radio I'm like... Ya know, she's got game. She does a lot of her own writing or at least she did on her first album. (which is probably her best one in my opinion) I imagine she gets a fuckton of help now. Honestly I think her songs are memorable and the writing is really impressive for someone her age.

Like I said, you won't catch me standing in line to buy her next album but I'm not going to scoff at her talent either because I think she's found a cool niche and she's got an intriguing style.

What else would someone write about though. All genres that incorporate lyrics into the music talk about such things, unless of course your one of the people(big example would be lil wayne) who sometimes says random, meaningless shit just because he knows people will listen or buy it. Wouldn't all lyrical music die out if that were the case?

Good point, I think I just have a disdain for the lack of metaphor in the country music I've listened to. It if it were lyrically more sophisticated I'd be able to respect it more.

Also, I kinda love Neil Young.

Like I said, you won't catch me standing in line to buy her next album but I'm not going to scoff at her talent either because I think she's found a cool niche and she's got an intriguing style.

Agreed; I'm no fan of hers, but neither am I a-hatin'!

I don't have a particular hate for country music. I just feel that id does not reflect me as a person and I won't listen to it because of that. I respect the music, I just don't like it myself. I usually compare country to rap because while country is just odd if not something I can't reflect on, Rap is mainly shallow and has no point to it beyond hedonistic ideals.

I don't have much love of most Country songs today, mainly because I don't relate to much of it. But I love Johnny Cash. I know it sounds hypocritical, but I do like OLDER country music.

That song, "International Harvester", can rot in the deepest darkest hole in the earth.

Puppa-puppa-plower... Ugh

You're right, there is no better genre. Although I did say that I was more into shreddin' than honkeytonk, I don't care; good = good and vice versa.

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I was going to take "Real" seriously until the second verse. I could feel the whole death of a wife deal, but after a bit of listening, it began to sound pseudo-emotional and cliche. They're all going for that melancholy appeal. I am sorry, but change the title to something about high school, change those twangs into distortion, speed it up, and turn that country accent into a suburban White geek one. Voila! You'll have your average Alternative rock song!

Heh, they're dissing mainstream TV, but listen to this mess! The music is actually not bad, but it all follows the same pattern. Bow-bow-dickle-dickle, bow-bow-dickle-dickle, bow-bow-dickle-dickle, bow-bow-dickle-dickle...

:lmassoff:

I find it even more hypocritical seeing as most of these songs are by dudes. So they're dudes singing about 60-70 y/o other dudes who's wives have died before them however statistically women live longer than men. I don't know of one song like this where it's a female country singer singing about an old lady who's husband has died, but that's just too likely.

How's THAT for real, eh?

Female country singers sing about dudes who are jerks, or dudes who are like omg totally hot farmers.

Male country singers sing about girls that they lost via some mistake or death, or girls who are like omg totally hot.

Never the other way around.

I know what people mean by this, but...

...that's Mainstream Hip Hop. Underground Rap is the total opposite, almost. Not that this ol' song is ultra-progressive or anything.

I find this funny because I define those terms precisely the opposite. Mainstream rap being the junk and hip-hop being stuff of musical and lyrical quality, although not necessarily underground so much as old-school, from the 80s and 90s. Well, I guess hip-hop was mostly underground back then, and also less diluted, and therefore better overall.

I've never understood why people go to lengths to define genres and argue who represents what the best. I've never needed anything more than a tune I like and a name to associate it with' date=' I can't see why anyone would ever need more than that.[/quote']

This may strike you with a bit of chagrin but all music is not created equal. Sorry to say.

If i hear a song and recognize it as a "cool song with a country sound", I'd say it's a good song. If I recognize it as country... well, not so much. As with everything, there's the good and the bad, but I find myself quickly tiring of the often whiny sound and the boring writing.

If you want your threads to live for a few days make sure to add the word 'hate' to the thread title!

Worked for my lyrics hate thread. Which wasn't hating on lyrics much at all. :D

Female country singers sing about dudes who are jerks, or dudes who are like omg totally hot farmers.

Male country singers sing about girls that they lost via some mistake or death, or girls who are like omg totally hot.

At least there's some symmetry.

I don't get the hate on rap. I mean, hell, I've seen people take a Tupac song about life and death and apply it to them being bored with school and their boyfriend being an asswipe. Most of the best songs are pretty flexible.

country is always going to kind of sound the same because it is country music; rap is always going to kind of sound the same because it is rap

this must be why we have so many genres

people bitch about a genre stagnating and musicians never keeping it fresh

"if it had better lyrics/more playing difficulty/less stereotypical beat, then it'd totally be good"

"totally good" music eventually exists and is given its own genre

people bitch about new genre stagnating and musicians never keeping it fresh

if genres were suddenly transformed into food we would turn world hunger into world obesity

Who cares if a new genre is made if that's what it takes for someone to create something new that has a good sound.

Girls Aloud comes to mind. They are some weird hybrid genre that has a catchy sound and immense replay.

"if it had better lyrics/more playing difficulty/less stereotypical beat, then it'd totally be good"

I agree though and Country Music is no exception. There's a gazillion sub-genres just like their is with metal.

country is always going to kind of sound the same because it is country music; rap is always going to kind of sound the same because it is rap

if genres were suddenly transformed into food we would turn world hunger into world obesity

Trying to understand what you mean. Do you mean that we shouldn't categorize music?