OCR00443 - Rygar "On Rhodopa Mountain"

Ginnsu

Rygar 'On Rhodopa Mountain'

I’m trying to decide whether that high sharp piercing sound is bagpipes or just a funky high pitched scream, or even more likely, neither. I must say that this mix is trying my patience, because I’m also trying to decide whether or not I like that high sharp piercing sound. Being of Scottish background, I do tend to like traditional Scottish instrument, but that sound doesn't sound like its traditional, Scottish, or an instrument, so I suppose that answers my first decision. And as for my second, I have to say this; a little experimentation can be good, at times, but a lot can get you into trouble. Nice try, Mazedude, but tone that down a bit, please.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For your information, that lead instrument is a Bulgarian bagpipe. Made from a different method than the more conventional Scottish bagpipe, the sound does tend to be a bit sharper.

And dammit, but that was a really hard sample to use, so gimme a break. How many remixes on this site even try to use a bagpipe, huh? Huh?! Yeah. :)

Despite what others have said, I think this is a fantastic remix! It is indeed a bit different, but it maintains the original sound while being able to introduce a wonderfully appropriate epic feel. The Bulgarian bagpipe was surely an excellent choice for the lead.

Painful? Nah. Peculiarly pleasant? You're damned right it is! =]

Great job, mazedude!

• 5 months later...

Arranged well, but the bag-pipes are just way too high (giving me a headache here :/)

Anyway, I didn't like the lead instrument choice, but the arrangement of the piece itself is really good work. Especially liked the ending, how everything just dies, implying something happened when on the mountain (perhaps falling, although there are better ways to do falling). Lets just say something happened at the end, and its no longer meant to be happy. Outlived its purpose :P

• 2 months later...

Against almost everyone else, I think this ReMix is excellent. The lead instrument doesn't hurt my ears at all, for whatever reason, and the other sounds are really cool too. Especially the synths/pads playing the chords are really warm and really cool at the same time. The percussion is also very well arranged, and everything is crowned by the funny, great ending. An excellent (and different!) job, Mazedude! Keep it up!

I'm surprised to find this remix wasn't to some people's liking. It's one of the first I downloaded from OCR (since I'd always remembered the original tune from my NES days), and I just love it.

I do think the lead instrument can make clear inadequacies in your sound reproduction equipment. Luckily, music in my home exhales through Infinity Kappa 4.1s. Great stuff, Mazedude.

I had to look up Bulgarian bagpipes after reading this thread...

• 3 years later...

Ha! Yeah, those Bulgarian bagpipes are pretty shrill, so I can see why it would turn off most people. Hard to digest, and kind of on the lower end as far as the arrangement, since it basically says its piece in a minute then goes for another loop. The very ending made me laugh and cringe at the same time. Props to Chris for taking a creative risk.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Having both Scottish and German in my ancestry, I was born with a predilection for both bagpipes of any nature and German marches.

Therefore, this mix is officially the best thing in the world.

Absolutely love it.

And the end is just hilarious.

• 5 months later...

Very interesting idea. The instruments and style fit the song pretty well, and it's creatively done with good balance. However, I have to say this just isn't a pleasant listen. Partly because of how shrill the song is overall, and partly because I just hate the source. Nothing against Mazedude, I like most of his stuff, but this one is not for me.

Cute ending though, did the bagpipe player get shot?

• 3 months later...

I've become a real fan of Mazedude's latley, and I can honestly say this is pretty different from what I normally hear. I mean that in a good way. The mix is very interesting. I'm just glad I didn't have this cranked wearing headphones, or my ears would really hurt, lol. In all seriousness; great job, Mr. Getman.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00443 - Rygar "On Rhodopa Mountain"