Singer Collaboration!!!!!!!! C4C

So I'm working with this girl to do a hard rock/metal type album.

She doesn't know I've posted this yet, not sure what she'll think. She recently started posting videos of her singing to youtube and I thought I'd do a remix of her most recent one and show it to her. Scared shitless to know what she'll think of it.

Here's my remix I'm working on

Anyways I'm doing this to try to help her get more views, comments and subscribers because she's a great singer. Also, C4C, tell me what you think of my remix so far and leave a link to your thread and I'll be sure to check it out!

Song is called Comin' Home

Well, don't get discouraged, but posting here I assume you want honest feedback. I'll try to be as helpful as I can.

I hate to say this, the background music on your remix sounds pretty cheesy to me (though she might think differently, but who knows??). Starting with that lead. And the bass is pretty bad. It sounds like a midi sample of a picked bass, and doesn't really go with the beat. The percussion you got is basically generic disco, and the drums aren't terribly strong or big sounding.

The vocals don't sound properly mixed for the style you have. I can hear some of the background noise in the original song, along with the guitar. If you're doing a serious remix, you probably need to process the vocals better, like taking out some of the background noise, and maybe eq'ing and compressing the vocals. I'd keep away from autotune since she's basically singing on-key and that could be insulting.

I'm confused as to what you're doing. You say you're doing a hard rock/metal album with a girl, yet that's obviously not what this is. It sounds like cheesy techno. If you're going for metal and can't get musicians at least get some decent guitar samples like Shreddage and a DAW/VST host (though you probably need NI Kontakt and Guitar Rig to get the most out of them). Heck, some of the free guitar soundfonts I've used weren't that bad either.

Sampling copyrighted music is technically illegal. Things that are uploaded to the internet are basically copyrighted automatically, so you could get in trouble if she gets gets pissed off at you and decides to sue you for using her music. I'm pretty sure it's not considered fair use either. Though that's extremely unlikely to happen in any case. ;p

Well good luck. It sounds to me like you're pretty new to music sequencing and might want to stick around this community for a few pointers.

Well, don't get discouraged, but posting here I assume you want honest feedback. I'll try to be as helpful as I can.

I hate to say this, the background music on your remix sounds pretty cheesy to me (though she might think differently, but who knows??). Starting with that lead. And the bass is pretty bad. It sounds like a midi sample of a picked bass, and doesn't really go with the beat. The percussion you got is basically generic disco, and the drums aren't terribly strong or big sounding.

The vocals don't sound properly mixed for the style you have. I can hear some of the background noise in the original song, along with the guitar. If you're doing a serious remix, you probably need to process the vocals better, like taking out some of the background noise, and maybe eq'ing and compressing the vocals. I'd keep away from autotune since she's basically singing on-key and that could be insulting.

I'm confused as to what you're doing. You say you're doing a hard rock/metal album with a girl, yet that's obviously not what this is. It sounds like cheesy techno. If you're going for metal and can't get musicians at least get some decent guitar samples like Shreddage and a DAW/VST host (though you probably need NI Kontakt and Guitar Rig to get the most out of them). Heck, some of the free guitar soundfonts I've used weren't that bad either.

Sampling copyrighted music is technically illegal. Things that are uploaded to the internet are basically copyrighted automatically, so you could get in trouble if she gets gets pissed off at you and decides to sue you for using her music. I'm pretty sure it's not considered fair use either. Though that's extremely unlikely to happen in any case. ;p

Well good luck. It sounds to me like you're pretty new to music sequencing and might want to stick around this community for a few pointers.

No this isn't a serious remix. Something I'm working on for fun. I already got musicians and what not for the metal thing, I play guitar. I tried creating some other basses and leads but I found it actually didn't improve it once it got too techno XD I kinda want a disco vibe. I also can't seem to remove the back ground noise.

Oh and about using "her music". That song she's singing is by "City and Colour". So I'm sure she's in the same copyright boat.

I haz updated

oh i see, theres not much here and vocals are drowned in verb, but the drums sound better, mix sounds better then the first one, but the bass and the lead are plain, add some kinda mid range sound or make the bassline more funky (same as the lead), it sounds like boobass, and dont say cause it sound fake you cant make it groovy cause i have proof you can make it sound groovy (and make a slap bass out off it) plus boobass can be awsome.

Just go a bit more crazy on this track.

oh i see, theres not much here and vocals are drowned in verb, but the drums sound better, mix sounds better then the first one, but the bass and the lead are plain, add some kinda mid range sound or make the bassline more funky (same as the lead), it sounds like boobass, and dont say cause it sound fake you cant make it groovy cause i have proof you can make it sound groovy (and make a slap bass out off it) plus boobass can be awsome.

Just go a bit more crazy on this track.

Yeah, I'm gonna scrap this mix. I could add more midrange instrument like guitar and what not but here's the thing. Vocal track is cluttered with noise like static and acoustic guitar. If I were to make a more serious mix, I'd ask her to record her cover again, without backing track and better mics. I think the mic she has in the video is just from her camera. Like I said, this was more for fun.

Soon........ssooon I shall have my interface and better mics and better computer!!! Like, possibly tomorrow for the computer.

and trust me, this album her and I shall create will blow your fucking tits off with astonishment. I won't rest until it is as close to perfect as possible. Muahahahahahahahahahaha