Anyone inspire you?

This seems like an appreciation topic, but any musician/song inspire you. Either on OCR or elsewhere?

For me, I'm kinda a j-rpg fanatic so I'm partially inspired by Yoko Shimomura's compositions for kingdom hearts. I also have a lot of oc tracks on my mp3, in general most of the musicans on here are cool and inspiring. More or less though individual songs that fit my style on ocr inspire me. Today specifically though I was listing to Willrock's Wario's Castle remix, I wanted to do a dual remix of that song and another and it actually got me working on it. So yeah, that's pretty cool. Anyways what about you guys?

I've gotta say, OCR-wise I have a bit of an obscure inspiration, that bein' Mr. Hylian Lemon.

That guy has the most creative, well produced, stylistically unique chiptune remixes I've ever heard. His original stuff would be freakin' KILLER.

NO U

Just when you think Proto is awesome at chiptunes, suddenly he's awesome at jazz. And then suddenly he's awesome at art. And then suddenly you realize he encompasses all.

Also, I second Yoko Shimomura, but for the Mario RPGs.

A few film composers, bLiNd, (a little) deadmau5, Pendulum, Zircon, and, obligatorily, DarkeSword. Primarily Zircon, though, I'm currently trying to capture his jazzy electronica fusion style (failing really bad so far :D).

And a bunch of OCReMixers.

No direct classical influences, though. :(

Oh, and Nobuo Uematsu. That guy's insane.

OCR: Nekofrog (rhythm guitarists represent!), Sixto, Willrock, SnappleMan... pretty much anyone who pumps out sweet rock/metal 'mixes.

Otherwise, I'm inspired mostly by metalcore bands. Haste The Day, As I Lay Dying, Still Remains, August Burns Red, ect., as well as certain composers, like Jesper Kyd, Nobuo Uematsu, and Junichi Masuda.

as for OCR, i wouldn't be making music in the first place if people like children of the monkey machine, k praslowicz, starla, or beatdrop weren't there to help me out when I was just starting [almost 10 years ago now!]

outside OCR I have a shitton of influences, everywhere from skinny puppy and throbbing gristle to michiru yamane and fumito tamayama :P

My first real influences as a new remixer were McVaffe and Disco Dan, along with various Japanese arrangers. Other artists on the site that influenced me as time went on included AE, Digimatic, tefnek (in a big way, particularly my original music), Tyler Heath/unknown, Beatdrop, Joshua Morse, Starblast and djp. Old school.

As for non-OCR influences, too many to really enumerate, but a quick list would be Weather Report (fusion jazz stuff), Crystal Method, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers and Pendulum (electronic) and Danny Elfman (orchestral).

i'm influenced by everything i like.

if you want me to be more specific:

the beatles, steely dan, stone temple pilots, asian kung fu generation, pink floyd, frost*, the commodores, capsule, uverworld, rage against the machine, claude bolling, yoko kanno, nine inch nails, brothers johnson, johnny cash, mew, jun ishikawa, pendulum, jake kaufman, antonio vivaldi, john mayer, soundgarden, sleepin johnnyfish

to name a few!

i don't think i really could say what the primary influences on my music are, i don't really have a defined style. but i draw inspiration from all of the above (and many more).

Yeah, pretty much whatever soundtrack from a game that inspires me, well, inspires me.

For real people, while this doesn't show up in my music a whole lot, I feel I've learned a lot from Gyorgy Ligeti, Steve Reich, John Cage, and Arnold Schoenberg. I don't go around writing minimalist atonalism (well not recently), but they're a big influence on how I approach more "serious" compositions. I use quotes because that's such a bloated term; all the music I make is serious, but you know what I mean.

In the video-game realm, I'm influenced also by Yoko Shimomura (have been since Super Mario RPG!), the greats like Uematsu and Kondo, with David Wise, a little of Matt Furniss, and on a video-game OST I am working on several songs were inspired by my exposure to Zuntata music, by OGR and Tama-chan. Obviously, I'm not as good as any of those listed, but the VG music I make tends to sound somewhere in that line.

From OCR, the people who convinced me I wanted to be a part of this site and remix are McVaffe, AmIEvil, MazeDude, blind, Zircon, and even ol' DarkeSword. Though none of the music I make reflects my appreciation for them, they mainly convinced my young teenage self that "Oh man I wanna do this too!!!!"

Hard to believe that I've been visiting this site since the late 90s early 2000s, making it the longest I've ever periodically visited one site.

Aside from my main influence, my mother (who is a musician herself), I was inspired by meeting all of the awesome remixers at the OCR panels (yes, even the OCAD panel) and seeing how cool and chill everyone is. Quite literally, it was the moment that someone on the panel (I believe Larry) said, "You could be the next remixer," pointing in my direction. I gave it thought, re-listened to some of the OCR tracks, and thought, "heck, why not try?"

My list of OCR idols:

WillRock, Darkesword, Mattias Gerdt (Anosou), Disco Dan (remember him?), C418, Protodome, Zircon, and others I'm too lazy to name...

Special shout out to Level 99, Joshua Morse, and Danny Baranowsky, just cause. :-D

Edit: Also, Christopher Tin. That guy is a G!

For OC Remixers, there's a ton I listen to daily. Some standouts are Joshua Morse, Protodome, Posu Yan, Sixto, zircon, and Darkesword, but that barely scratches the surface. There's too much talent on here.

Outside of OCR, some composers who inspire me include:

- Motoi Sakuraba: He has made some awesome JRPG music. Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos and Eternal Sonata are personal favourites.

- Nobou Uematsu: The Final Fantasy series, need I say more?

- Koji Kondo: He created some of the most recognizable and iconic game themes, Mario and Zelda. His stuff is just too damn catchy.

- David Arkenstone: He's all over the board, did some music for WoW but also has some chill electronica albums. Amazing stuff.

Personally I'm still trying to find my own style, but all these people and loads more influence me every day.

OCR: Nekofrog (rhythm guitarists represent!), Sixto, Willrock, SnappleMan... pretty much anyone who pumps out sweet rock/metal 'mixes.

Otherwise, I'm inspired mostly by metalcore bands. Haste The Day, As I Lay Dying, Still Remains, August Burns Red, ect., as well as certain composers, like Jesper Kyd, Nobuo Uematsu, and Junichi Masuda.

A metalcore fan... THAT's inspiring.

anyhow, from here, I'd say: CarboHydroM, sixto, djp, AmIEvil, Jovette Rivera, housethegrate... there are probably more. EDIT: zyko! how could I forget.

elsewhere: Jarle Bernhoft (Span, Explicit Lyrics and his solo carrier), Hoobastank, Evergreen Terrace, Mad At Gravity and The Suicide Machines, mostly.

OCR (in no particular order): Prophecy, bLiNd, DJ Carbunk1e, FFmusicDJ, Spekkosaurus, Russell Cox, goat, Sir Nuts, SgtRama

non-OCR (also in no particular order): Rachmaninov, Beethoven, Robert Miles, Tiesto, Rammstein, Danny Elfman, Nightwish, Rammstein, Juno Reactor, Master P, Dr. Dre, Journey, Guns n Roses, Enya, Nobuo Uematsus, Koji Kondo, Koichi Sugiyama