OCR02216 - Pokémon Red Version "Shades of Red"

djpretzel

Nostalgia. That is pretty much the one word I thought of from hearing this ReMix. I always thought the original tune was in the top ten of the Pokemon soundtrack, and this was a really good upgrade from the deep reaches of memory. Really nice work.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This mix has the awesome, cheery feeling to it that most of the mixes of the Missingno Tracks have, but for some reason I find it most obvious in this one. I like the opening from the original, to further show how much chiptune transformation halc has thrown in here :P

The only thing is that I'm not too sold on the ending (it just slows down and dies at the end), but otherwise great stuff from halc

• 2 weeks later...

halc's contributions to the Pokemon project have been very stellar, from all his collabs to even his solo work, and this final piece of the trifecta with him and Benjamin Briggs that I'm witnessing has escalated it sweetly.

Even his expansions taken towards the simple Pallet Town theme have managed to show some solid skills as a writer. It starts off simply with an interpretation of the Gold/Silver version, before going onto a more tasteful set of writing with the synths at hand and some classy piano parts; not humanised though, but given the chippy style it's fine enough with just the velocities given some variation. The careful manipulation towards the synths and accessibility to the role can be seen stylistically similar to the more recent "Spring Junkie" for The Sound of Speed, all the way down to the tempo decrease and filtering at the end. Basically, it may be seen as halc by numbers, but with all the careful backing attention taken towards the source it can be seen as bliss for Pokemon fans.

Even the Ho-Oh cry being squeezed in was appropriate; considering that in the animé Ash ran into one during his travels to Viridian City, it manages to fit the concept really well, in that the world of Pokemon is absolutely huge. Could it be seen as a somewhat coincidental acknowledgement to the animé's pilot? :razz:

That said, a very solid arrangement from halc! And let's see him keep working his pixelated magic well into 2012 :D

Even the Ho-Oh cry being squeezed in was appropriate; considering that in the animé Ash ran into one during his travels to Viridian City, it manages to fit the concept really well, in that the world of Pokemon is absolutely huge. Could it be seen as a somewhat coincidental acknowledgement to the animé's pilot? :razz:

no coincidence, this was entirely intentional. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Ah memories.

The chiptune feel is perfect for this. It's arranged enough to vary from the source material.

But it FEELS the same.

It feels like I'm waking up, I'm ten years old, and I'm about to start my Pokémon journey.

Well, it reminds me more of sitting in my room with my Gameboy in hand... but whatever.

This was the blast of nostalgia that has taken me back the most from any ReMix.

I sometimes just lie down on my floor and put this mix on...

just to bring back the memories of a time where I hadn't a care in the world.

• 1 year later...

The only thing that throws me off about this song is that some of the lead synths just won't play on certain devices.. most notably phone speakers and some headphones. It's a weird mixing issue.. and this also happens in "Great Job" iirc. Not sure what could have caused that, but it sounds good on headphones at least.

Regardless, I like this mix! : D It's catchy, and the drums are super fun to play to. It's got a jazzy-esque feel to it, which I'm diggin'. All the synth choices, mixed in with the piano and rhodes, are perfect. They meld together very well. I especially like the drums, though. They are catchy, and in this particular song you do a very good job at using drums to accent the music, which is probably why it feels a little jazzier.

Much love to this song. Recommended!

Edited by urdailywater

The only thing that throws me off about this song is that some of the lead synths just won't play on certain devices.. most notably phone speakers and some headphones. It's a weird mixing issue.. and this also happens in "Great Job" iirc. Not sure what could have caused that, but it sounds good on headphones at least.

Regardless, I like this mix! : D It's catchy, and the drums are super fun to play to. It's got a jazzy-esque feel to it, which I'm diggin'. All the synth choices, mixed in with the piano and rhodes, are perfect. They meld together very well. I especially like the drums, though. They are catchy, and in this particular song you do a very good job at using drums to accent the music, which is probably why it feels a little jazzier.

Much love to this song. Recommended!

Thanks! Yeah, I know what you mean about the instruments dropping out. They even did that on my old MacBook speakers. It's caused by some weird combination of stereo-spreading and other fx, no clue why it happens though, heh.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02216 - Pokémon Red Version "Shades of Red"