Sonic "Generations"? Hmm . . .

RECKENEFIN

250px-NewSuperMarioBrosWiiBoxart.png

Point taken.

Not counting the DS game, that's been almost 18 years since there's been a NEW, good 2D Mario. Why else would it honestly take that long to put out another 2D Mario? Especially if they sold better than all the 3D Mario games combined?

I don't put good faith in Miyamoto to make another 2D Mario, not in a looooong time. If one is shown at E3, I'll gladly apologize.

I've swayed the topic off target again...:(

Let me guess: Sonic is caught up in a time paradox caused by an experiment conducted by Dr. Eggy McWhiskerface (who is attempting to go back in time and kill Sonic when he's a baby), and now he has to team up with his younger self to stop him.

Or maybe that's just Sonic's kid...

I like my explanation more though...

I love this new sonic game but, if Sega has to "revive" old games and renew them to have success, that means they ran out of new fresh ideas??? :whatevaa:

nope

it just means their new ideas were crappy and buggy

also toadofsky quite frankly your opinions seem to be lacking in the accuracy department no one in the world thinks that mario bros. ds and new super mario bros. wii were bad

I liked Sonic Unleashed (PS2) and I liked Sonic Colors (DS) so I have very little reason to think I'd dislike this. Sometimes it's nice being easy to please. And the in game Green Hill trailer I saw looked amazing..

I do wonder what could they use for a main theme song here...

I liked Sonic Unleashed (PS2) and I liked Sonic Colors (DS) so I have very little reason to think I'd dislike this. Sometimes it's nice being easy to please. And the in game Green Hill trailer I saw looked amazing..

I do wonder what could they use for a main theme song here...

I hope crush 40 does a metal theme again, im tired of emo songs and synth pop tracks, altho it was only 2 games but hell NO

I persoanally hope it comes to pc i no longer have a actually current series console.

Either that or i'll have to buy it for xbox and play it around my mates house when they go to sleep, or buy it for ps3 and play it on my "old" ps3 i sold to my parents as a dvd player and my dads ps3 and play while theyre out...

hmm...

Not counting the DS game, that's been almost 18 years since there's been a NEW, good 2D Mario.

What you talking about willis,

The ds super mario game was really good and i havent played a mario game since super mario all stars for snes,

Really brought me back to my childhood which was awesome.

New Super Mario Bros for the DS was pretty terrible.

Each stage was the same, only different backgrounds. All the levels were just "keep going right" which got boring fast.

Just saying.

*facepalm* keep going right? that is all its ever been. actually, what if they made him go left! maybe the world would end. XD

It's not even funny how anything that SEGA tries to make these new Sonic games fun and attractive, fails to make me excited even the slightest

This my friend is your opinion i personally feel they have stepped finally in the right direction to shut up the people going "we want classic sonic to return" and basically this will please everyone or at least what they think will please everyone.

Ever since sonic went 3D people have complained about the games:

character designs,

Story,

Voice acting, (although seeing as adventure was the first one to include voices i feel thats understandable)

The "friends", (who i feel have actually added just alittle to it, after all no one complained when tails,knuckles the chaotix crew were created and used)

The gimics,(such as the sword and the rings from the wii games)

People have complained that sonic shouldn't be in a car after all in the sega racing game, yet they have never once questioned why mario is playing tennis or golf.

I feel the sonic franchise has attracted complainers,

granted shadow is bloody tough and sonic 06 was glitchy as hell due to being released too early in the scedule

But the gameboy games were great and unleashed was rather good imo (apart from looking for medallions that sucked) and i haven't played colours but the ds version i enjoy quite abit, and i loved the daylight stages in unleashed so at a guess id say its gonna be good.

The issue is sonic isn't ment to be for hardcore die hard fans

Its ment for kids, much like we used to be.

No, I just thought the game was painfully boring, with none of the flair or imagination the other Mario games had.

the one for the Wii was lots of fun, though.

DS game?

Total shit. Boring levels, boring bosses, boring boring boring.

Just compare all the crazy, fun, and exciting shit that goes on in a level of Super Mario World, Mario 3, or Mario Galaxy 2, and then look at the pure and utter drab nothing that goes on in nearly every single NSMB DS level. I'm surprised no one noticed that there's literally nothing fun going on the entire game.

I hope crush 40 does a metal theme again, im tired of emo songs and synth pop tracks, altho it was only 2 games but hell NO

Then we get to hear how awful the butt metal is or whatever stupid catch phrase critics used for the early 3D Sonic games.

If there's anything I can say positively about the Sonic Adventure games, or even Sonic Heroes, is that the music was pretty good. Minus anything regarding Tails, Amy's, or Big's theme song, or Team Chaotix....

Those trailers look pretty sweet. So, am I understanding correctly that essentially it's all the same levels just 2 different ways of playing 'em? I think something like for the original Mario games would be cool - play SMB1 the standard way then switch it up and play it SM64 style. Doing that with SMB2 would be particularly interesting. Not making it a full wandering 3D, but how they seem to be doing it in Sonic Generations. I have this mental image now of the tank level in Mario 3, world 8 with all the tanks coming at you...that could be BA, y'know?

Then we get to hear how awful the butt metal is or whatever stupid catch phrase critics used for the early 3D Sonic games.

If there's anything I can say positively about the Sonic Adventure games, or even Sonic Heroes, is that the music was pretty good. Minus anything regarding Tails, Amy's, or Big's theme song, or Team Chaotix....

What do you mean...come on, they were awesome.

TEAM CHAOTIX, they'll protect you they are on your SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!

I think the gameplay trailers looked pretty cool. I also thought Sonic 4 looked alright but I'm not a crazy Sonic fan so what do I know about something that looks fun? However, I will say that I wish developers would stop making 2D sidescollers with all-3D graphics. As much as I liked NSMB Wii/DS, I think the aesthetics could have been much better by making it with 2D sprites instead of polygons. Same goes for Sonic. I think that HD Sonic remake fan project looks better than this or Sonic 4.

Sonic Colors was actually a pretty great game. Easily my favourite 3D Sonic game so far, and I really enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 for a while. Of course the classic Genesis titles are still some of the best games I've played.

Still, Generations has me intrigued. If they remade Chemical Plant Zone complete with the music I'd be soooo happy. Or pretty much any stage from Sonic 3.

On another note, I actually enjoyed Sonic and the Secret Rings on Wii. Am I alone in this?

This is quite possibly true.

I'll be insane with you. I did NOT play Sonic and the Secret Rings, but I did play Colors (on DS). I don't really know anything to complain about that game with.:| Well one thing...would've loved more stages. Didn't want it to end. Oh and the full versions of the themes in the Sound Test.

• 1 month later...

Just happened to stumble upon this video of Sonic Generations' booth at E3 2011. Is it me or am I hearing Snappleman's Flying Batteries remix in the background (from Project Chaos)? If so, then cool stuff! Is it just background music for the booth itself or is there some sort of OC ReMix collaboration with Sega that we should know about? :P