A Song of Ice and Fire

Flare4War

Not that it justifies the sex and nudity, I understand that if it's offensive to people it's offensive; but again I think people should realize that the innuendo has actually been watered down from what takes place in the books.

In just the first 2 episode if you compare them to the books: There is a brief sex scene between Eddard and Catelyn that is absent. The scene where Bran stumbles upon Jamie and Cersei is much more graphic. She is completely naked for one thing and he watches them shag a lot longer. The scene where Daenery's consummates her marriage with Drogo is way more tame than the books. She's 13 and she's crying. But as already mentioned previously in the thread, that kinda of shit just doesn't fly. Not even for HBO, so that was to be expected.

I've seen comments on IMDB and some other places where people are mad because HBO is being unscrupulous by adding a bunch of dirty sex and nudity just for ratings. I guess my point is that, if they're trying to follow closely to the books, (which of course they are) they really aren't adding a bunch of smut to the story. If anything they're taking some out.

Moreover, is there any good reason people are arguing more against the sex than the violence?

Because there's been a lot more sex than violence? Or at least, it's been a lot more graphic. The most recent episode featured a completely gratuitous lesbian sex scene (which wasn't in the books, so you can't blame it on the source material) that went on for about five minutes, while a guy getting a spear shoved through his torso merits a 2-second shot without much in the way of blood, and (white'd for spoilarz) Robert's wound, which is described as having his intestines falling out of it in the book, looks like it could be fixed up with a few stitches in the series. I think there's been at least one instance of full-frontal nudity in every episode so far, but the goriest thing they've shown so far was Tywin Lannister skinning a deer.

Edited by Native Jovian

I just downloaded all the epubs of the first 4 books. Would it be better for me to read the first one before I watch the series?

In my opinion yes. I think you will enjoy the suspense that is created in the book much more and you'll appreciate what HBO is actually trying to adapt a lot more if you read the book first.

Yeah, the book is definitely much easier to follow than the HBO series, but they're different enough that it's worth reading/watching both, I think. Plus you'll be able to get the story from the books a lot sooner than the series in any case.

If you start now, you should finish in time for A Dance With Dragons coming out this summer!

im a little behind on the episodes, but I am so ready for some lesbian sex scenes.

Also a little behind and catching up. I'm on episode 5. The old kid suckling the lady's teat made me audibly yell "EWWWW"

The little dude is mah favorite character

Don't spoil it for me but things are looking pretty grim for the little dude

Edited by Brandon Strader

The little dude is mah favorite character

Don't spoil it for me but things are looking pretty grim for the little dude

Tyrion is an awesome character to follow. In the books he comes across more intelligent than he does in the series but Peter Dinklage is doing a fantastic job.

Tyrion is an awesome character to follow. In the books he comes across more intelligent than he does in the series but Peter Dinklage is doing a fantastic job.

Haha yes!

And I'm still catching up, half-way through episode 6.

This show makes the bald man cry.

edit; To address an earlier conversation, this show is actually a LOT more tame than other shows on the pay channels xD. Sex and violence is not as common in this show so far as it was in others.

Edit2: NVM Just started episode 7, lol

Edited by Brandon Strader

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't double post for a while because I thought someone'd be in here. What happened? Someone dropped a ball.

Yeah, sorry. My satellite dish is having some issues and I'm actually kinda behind. Episode 7 is the last I've seen. The bill is paid and all that, it's some other bullshit. Anyways, a friend of mine has them saved on his dish box and I'll be catching up.

Edit: And, yeah... lets try to avoid spoilers if we can.

Edited by Flare4War

• 1 month later...