A Song of Ice and Fire

Flare4War

• 4 weeks later...

What an incredible writer. It's really impressive that he can write a story with soooo many characters with different plot angles and still maintain continuity.

So I just finished "A Dance With Dragons" A very entertaining book and I hope he turns on the after burners to get the next one done.

So characters...

I was really liking what he did with Arya's story even though I was hoping to see a little more of her. Still not sure what GRRM is doing with Bran and Rickon at this point but I assume they are becoming serious fucking bad asses. Davos Seaworth isn't my favorite character or anything but I think he's interesting. Just one more chapter of Davos would have been nice. Daenerys Targaryen develops a lot in this book which I thought was really cool. I love the way this guy is writing the dragons. It was kinda fun seeing Cersei Lannister be the broken down defeated whore that she is. Tyrion's story consists of awesome, awesome, and more awesome; especially where he ended it with him. Tyrion is definitely one of my favorite characters.

Well, Jon Snow is my favorite character and the way he left off his story took me completely off guard and for a moment kinda pissed me of, but then; that is why this author is so good. He writes that fuckin' shit the way HE wants to, fans of the story be damned. It was a good but brutal twist.

All in all, it's an epic book and long as it was, I really didn't want it to end.

Fck... Now I have to find something cool to read.

Edited by Flare4War

I don't think Jon's situation is permanent. It's not as definitive as what happened to Eddard, and more along the lines of what happened Arya back in Storm of Swords (attack, blackout). I know that GRRM does whatever the hell he wants, but there are too many questions surrounding Jon's true significance in all this and I don't think removing him from the equation would serve well to address all those things.

If you're looking for something cool to read, try The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

I'm going to rename this thread to remove the "on HBO," since there is book talk going on in here.

Edited by DarkeSword

I agree and it seems like there is still plenty of stuff to write about Jon Snow. It's not like his story is going into a corner compared to, say for example, Brienne. In comparison to the other books "A Feast for Crows" sorta felt like it should have been called "Brienne of Tarth Goes On a Hike" Don't get me wrong, I think it was good just more boring than the others. I'm also keeping in mind that Melisandre is at The Wall and we all know she can do some tricky voodoo shit.

Anyways, it would break my heart if he wrote Jon Snow out. I agree that it's probably not likely that he will.

[POSSIBLE SPOILER] My sneaking suspicion is that Jon was "killed" but isn't permanently dead. After all, remember all that went through Varamyr's mind at the beginning of the book, and there's been plenty of hinting that Jon is a warg like Varamyr, so... maybe this just serves as the catalyst that fully brings him to awareness of his abilities? [END SPOILER]

At any rate, though, Dance was extremely good, and just as unpredictable as ever - about the only thing I saw coming extremely far in advance was young Martel's fate. Now to await the next book, and hope the wait isn't as long.

It's not like his story is going into a corner compared to, say for example, Brienne. In comparison to the other books "A Feast for Crows" sorta felt like it should have been called "Brienne of Tarth Goes On a Hike" Don't get me wrong, I think it was good just more boring than the others.

A lot of people felt the same way about Dany and all the Meereenese politics in Dance.

Dany and Jon are my favorites, although Dany's tale is much better when she's not sitting on pillows. I like where she ends up at the end of the book; on her own with only a dragon.

As for the endgame, I think the writing is on the wall as far as the true conflict is concerned. None of this game of thrones bullshit everyone is playing actually matters. In the end, there is going to be some serious shit going down in the North, and the Others don't care who sits on the Iron Throne.

Dany and Jon are my favorites, although Dany's tale is much better when she's not sitting on pillows. I like where she ends up at the end of the book; on her own with only a dragon.

As for the endgame, I think the writing is on the wall as far as the true conflict is concerned. None of this game of thrones bullshit everyone is playing actually matters. In the end, there is going to be some serious shit going down in the North, and the Others don't care who sits on the Iron Throne.

Yeah I'm with DarkSword here. So far all the posturing hasn't really changed anything. But I really liked Dance. Admittedly Dany's story was slower than I'd hope, but I didn't mind that she takes the time to stop and try to learn to be a queen. She's what 16 now. The most intriguing thing about her character has always been how she's forced to grow up. But I thought her ending place in Dance was awesome. Her and Drogon facing down one of Drogo's old blood riders, who left her remember because he didn't think she had what it takes to be Kahlessi. That was epic.

I was less impressed with Jon's ending but just because I like seeing him kick ass and take names. Pulling a Brutus on the senate steps caught me off guard.

Oh and when Baristan the Bold kicks the shit out of those pit fighters, I fkcn loved that. He's like "yeah I'm old and slow but your thugs and I'm a Knight. And then he shows them. "

Edited by AceThe Game

that's what I'm saying, For books now you've heard he was good, and here and there you see him do cool shit with a staff or what now. But then he takes his sword back and stands there for 2 books. Every time the mercenaries start to brag he's like fck off, Dany give ma a dozen knights. And then he just shreds those jackoffs.

I did! It's just that Arya isn't, for the most part, what makes her chapters entertaining.

You are fuller o shit than a christmas goose. Arya, Davos, Jon setting the Night's Watch to work fortifying the wall, And Aegon coming back from the dead, not to even mention Tyrion who is always entertaining. I'm not sure what you expected book 5 of 7 to be but I thought all the story lines moved pretty nice. I would have liked to know what's up with Sansa though. Because at the end of Feast little finger was setting her up to be a major player.