MM3 Hard Man Remix - v2

Vyper

Hello.

I was introduced to Mega Man via the third installment at a very young age. So young, in fact, the only robot master I could defeat was Hard Man. Thus, he has become a favorite of mine, as has his theme.

I noticed he is quite underrepresented on this site (zero mixes!) so I thought I'd have a go with a hard trance mix. Cheeky, yes, but fun.

Given the judges board have been on the fence for my past two mixes, I'm hoping to make this one less questionable, so any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

You can listen here.

Thanks.

Velly

No mixes... no shit? What a shame. Well we better fix that, eh? You get Hardman and I'll give Sparkman another shot - that'd fix up that list nicely (and someone can cover Wily 1 :nicework:).

Going to give it to you straight - these synths are pretty vanilla. I think after two mixes posted the J's will look at that in a very negative light (they look for progress with a posted mixer, according to some of their comments on mixes), so get some custom work on those synths to really make them unique. That basic trance saw is especially noticeable. The portamento on some of the synths is quite badass, though - give you props for that ;)

The arrangement is passable, I think. The source is there, yet you seem to go on quite a few interesting paths away from, as well. I think you really water down the harmonic complexity of the original track, though, which really works against you here. Trance is a genre that should steal variety when it can, because there's naturally not much to grab, and the variety of harmonic motions are a perfect place to get your sounds.

The drum line fills the space, but it's generally not interesting. It's like the junk-food of drum lines - it's filling, but it's not really good for you. Spice it up with some variety, some crisper sounds (perhaps a little compression could go a ways here), more fills... just moar, overall.

The production is a bit on the quiet side overall, but it's not bad otherwise. Try to get the volume up a little bit without losing the clean sound you have already.

MM3 is the best. Hardman is underrepresented. That name is suggestive and the Japanese are perverted. Good luck with it.

This remix would have been extremely cool like ten years ago. Reminds me of stuff Disco Dan used to make.

However, this song can be beefed up significantly. I had to turn the volume way up to hear it, so the overall level probably isn't that loud. I noticed the kick drum gets fuller past the one minute mark, though it still doesn't sound as big as it could be, and doesn't sound mixed quite right.

The drums beside the kick (especially the clap) are pretty quiet. The bass-line is really generic and old school sounding.

The portamento and vibrato on the lead sounds pretty cool at times.

Dunno if the 1:35 section is really necessary. It could probably use a different lead or better percussion.

Some of the backup synths sound too similar to the lead, so they're kind of competing for attention at times.

This song could use more bass (not just from the kick). Maybe add some distortion to one of the leads to make it bigger.

I don't think this would make it past the judges panel by their standards today (though it would have been a hit like 8 years ago).

Check out a Megaman (MM7 I think) remix I did a few years ago, though I overdid it on the compression, and the percussion could have been a lot better (and the song less repetitive), though I think I got things to sound pretty big. Still, I never submitted it to OCR, didn't think it was good enough for the site. http://remix.thasauce.net/song/RTS0021/

• 2 weeks later...