Spiral Knights

NeoForte

I might as well ask you all a simple question perhaps most of you must've had. I'm getting my 25th Jelly Token pretty soon, so: Sealed Sword or Antigua?, and I'm talking about usefulness, I don't care about how stylish Antigua series look. My skill level is equal on both weapons and I really have no personal prefference, both of them are lovely to me.

Thanks in advance!

Depends on which enemies you'd be fighting more.

Antigua and its forms do piercing damage (fantastic against beasts and fiends, but not so much on constructs and slimes), and Sealed Sword does normal damage so it doesn't have any effects for or against. If you have a sword compensating for non-piercing damage (and possibly the opposite "affinity" for how you evolve it), then the Antigua. If you're not sure, the Sealed Sword would be the safest bet.

My Rigadoon does piercing, so I know that it would be an awful idea to use it against the Royal Jelly. Alpha wolvers, though, no longer frighten me the way they did.

Keep in mind as well that the sealed sword series splits into the Avenger and Faust line.

These weapons do split damage (Avenger does elemental/normal, Faust does shadow/normal, and may curse the enemy or you with its charged attack).

Same goes for the Antigua lines, they start doing pierce/elemental or pierce/shadow.

Also of note, even though the antigua line does piercing, the bullets aren't always fast enough to easily hit dodging monsters unless you already have them cornered. (if you have auto targetting off and want to make use of guns that do piercing you should turn it back on, or find the button that toggles it so when you need to auto target you can).

Well, did my usual: dont feel like playing so lets craft routine. Got a UV Brandish vs beast high.

Dunno if I should use it to replace my current low vs beast nightblade or if I should auction it.

I might consider taking that off your hands. What's your price?

Keep in mind as well that the sealed sword series splits into the Avenger and Faust line.

These weapons do split damage (Avenger does elemental/normal, Faust does shadow/normal, and may curse the enemy or you with its charged attack).

Just a note, Faust can curse enemies on its non charged attack. It will never curse you on a noncharged attack though.

As far as the original question...I don't know what to say. I think only about their evolved forms (only two of which I've used).

Faust - Curse support on anything. Good against gremlins and slimes.

Avenger - Good high elemental damage. Kills constructs and zombies.

Silversix - meant for FSC, the bullets can glitch through the shield barriers a bit so you can stand back and do damage without getting hurt. Zombies are weak to its elemental side.

Blackhawk - ...I don't know...I guess gremlins/slimes again?

Also yay for the new boss :D

Thanks all for the replies!, I finally decided to go for Avenger after watching some videos.

That is, if I can get the last 2 tokens I need. I'm getting exhausted of partying with random 12 years old kids who spend all their mist tank ressurecting in early levels and then leave mad because you don't want to put them on tab.

Edited by Manoo2k

I just got the Spine Cone. It's not anything special - it's pretty much a proto bomb with piercing damage. Unfortunately, I have a bewildering attraction to pine cones, so going without this item just seemed wrong. Now I have an awesome item! :D

Anyone opt for the shield or sword? Or pass on Snarbolax goodies altogether? (I'd go for all three, but I'm already tired of doing runs there - those T1 kids can be exhausting.)

I won't be accessing the game for some days (or the internet that much itself lol...). But I heard energy prices went up again D:

But before I left I had fun running Snarby. I got the spine cone and the sword. Didn't have much time to play with the sword because it was before the last bugfix. Sword is nice for what it is. But there's a few gunpuppies and lumbers on that stage and piercing damage fails so hard against them...

Fear not the random parties though, this IS tier 1. When I had my first fight against snarby, I thought I'd have a hard time if I went in with all tier 2 armor/weapons (+proto shield). I didn't. Once I realized all I had to do was stand in the center and shield until its time to hit the bell. I let everyone have fun running around pointlessly. I DID warn them to do the same once I figured it out. But when I did the same thing with some fellow four-five star people later...I saw them doing the same thing XD

Yeah T1 boss is neat, but easy for anyone that isn't new, that's a good thing cause he's a T1 boss. I love his design!

I finally got ahold of Vog Cub Cap, now I just need to find the myself a grey owlite shield. But I'm especially happy I found the cap, cause now I can test out weapons for the wiki editors without having to remember to change my hat out.

Haven't gotten enough tokens to get any of the T1 boss gear, but I'm looking to get the shield to play with in lower tiers, might also poke at the bomb some, but the T1 gear doesn't interest me all that much.

Energy prices did go up a bit, but they're extremely volatile right now as well, not really sure why. My friend (who has amassed more than 10000 energy and crowns...without paying a cent, just from playing the energy market and AH) thinks there is a tiny bit of manipulation going on when it jumps up really fast and then falls back down, but it could also just be that its full blown summer for almost everyone now so the demand is really high what with a billion kids with no money having joined recently or that's my impression from the increase in beggars over the past week.

Edited by cobaltstarfire
Too many zeroes

I am starting to look around at the areas I've ignored since Snarbolax made the scene. So, the Sapphire Rook...

Seriously? ALL Shock levels? I was upset about two or three consecutive symbols. Now, we've got the most annoying status ailment on EVERY LEVEL of a dungeon. It's not even all jellies that would at least result in a boss on T2.

To conclude, :(

If you want to see an all jelly gate, there's a movement to get Coral Queen to be all Jelly.

If you want to not see a billion shock and fiend in the future, I would suggest doing the all shock gate actually, because of the way minerals are spawned you're lees like to get the minerals that cause shock and fiend, and more likely to get the other colors.

I don't want to see an all-anything gate. I just threw Jelly out there because it seems like it would be a lot less annoying than all-shock. (This is coming from someone whose primary weapon does jack squat against Jelly enemies - shock can go die in a fire, which is also a better status ailment than shock because it doesn't interrupt shield with its side-effect.)

I'm saving my minerals for the Master Miner achievement. I don't know if the mineral contributions accumulate or not, and I don't desperately need the sorry amount of pennies I get from the donations. But I'll keep that in mind. I can handle shock as long as I don't get overwhelmed by enemies (so no soloing or groups that go "lets do challenge gate ill pay LOL").

Okay, problem solved. The latest update guarantees that tiers don't have two of the same element. So enjoy your Sapphire Rook electrotherapy - you ain't seeing it for the foreseeable future.

Slimes on the second tier have changed their appearance, and do piercing damage now (which fits their resistance to it, really).

lol. Went on a trip and I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, the new piercing...makes JK gates pretty hard man lol. Now I was playing before they fixed the spikes appearing through blocks thing, but still, I expect it to be almost as hard as what I faced earlier. Piercing is no joke anymore XD But I still think I want to keep my elemental armor

Heh, I got a Steam account not too long ago. I'm planning on redownloading it tonight so it'll be in my Steam listing. I really need to figure out how to get Steam to accept my computer games (Guild Wars is still sitting alongside my Steam icon, and I'd like to keep my desktop tidier).

My achievements will transfer, yes? If not, then screw Steam and I'll keep playing it separate.

Speaking of which, I'm too lazy to read 17 pages... do we have an in-game guild?

I actually played Spiral Knights a bit during Beta, but if I don't get anything from having a Beta account (knights got deleted in push to retail), I'm going to restart on Steam and go with that.

Until I get bored of it that is.

Playing this for the first time, I just killed 2 jello molds and this game is looking good. Loving the zelda-isms of bush-cutting and such. Bstrader is me and I'm looking forward to seeing other dudes on this map

EDIT: Aaaaand I'm over it. First dark rat boss = overpowered, even with 4 people. Then when you die, they charge you money to revive, and the price doubles each time you die. When you die in a few hits, that adds up to LOTS of money. Anyway, yeah... Z_Z

Edited by Brandon Strader

Playing this for the first time, I just killed 2 jello molds and this game is looking good. Loving the zelda-isms of bush-cutting and such. Bstrader is me and I'm looking forward to seeing other dudes on this map

EDIT: Aaaaand I'm over it. First dark rat boss = overpowered, even with 4 people. Then when you die, they charge you money to revive, and the price doubles each time you die. When you die in a few hits, that adds up to LOTS of money. Anyway, yeah... Z_Z

Snarbolax? Did you ring the bell when he was near it?

---

Well, the CE market was a pleasant surprise. I bought some energy yesterday to finally make my sunset duster. Now I just need the helmet (hood) and sword to get T3 unlocked.

Huh. I admit he was a bit more annoying the last time I played him (took him forever to get to the bell) but he was defeatable. He can only hear the bell when he's above ground, when he's doing the bite attack. His time "stunned" is variable, too - sometimes it's just a couple of seconds, but sometimes he goes for like 5-6 seconds. I don't know if he has damage tiers like other VG bosses.

One thing is that those of us who have played since March/April all have higher-level shields, too, so we can guard his attacks better (x key if you're unaware) and that keeps us in the game for a while longer. Our swords with high attack power (piercing especially) also make good use of what little time he is stunned.