Spiral Knights

NeoForte

I love the new boss (only got to play it twice on the first day of its release). Its so punishing when you don't know what you are doing. Absolutely got trashed my first go around, I mean I won but it cost me 40+20+10+5 (75) revive. I didn't have vitapods but I did have health packs and it still did that to me.

The second go around...super easy. If you learn from the beatdown you'll take the first time around, the stage is easy. It did force me to bring out my silversix to speed things up, shivermist wasn't going to cut it and nitro didn't seem like it was useful either.

Best part about those stages, it teaches teamwork. You don't work as a team, you fail. Oh and you'd better have elemental defense of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who has an opportunity to play this weekend: energy costs for elevators have been slashed in half. That means 5 units of energy to go down instead of ten. This weekend only.

Won't make Ironclaw Munitions less explodey but might make it less of a pain to revive in.

lol I was gonna pass by and say that but then I lost internet XD. Didn't matter though. I couldn't play through much of it.

They released the unbind shop and UV rerolling today, its cool but I don't have the money for it. Anyone dreaming of selling their 5 star items will be a bit disappointed. 4000 for the unbind.

Man, those guys are expensive! I have something to shoot for when I get my Aegis, at least. I was going to upgrade the 1-star equipment for fun, but that might be an expensive proposition.

On a more personal note, I made it to Tier 3 recently. I... need to upgrade to 5-star. Also, as much as I love my fiery pepperbox, it's not very useful in Firestorm Citadel against enemies who are themselves on fire.

I installed the game just for the sake of getting a TF2 hat, but I think I've become semi-addicted to it. There's something almost relaxing about running around mindlessly bashing things with a sword. And I kind of like the fact that the energy system puts a hard cap on how long you can play a day, since that means I won't get sucked into a few hours' worth of it.

On a more personal note, I made it to Tier 3 recently. I... need to upgrade to 5-star. Also, as much as I love my fiery pepperbox, it's not very useful in Firestorm Citadel against enemies who are themselves on fire.

lol well you can always go to other tier 3 areas. I mean FSC is endgame (for now) but there's lots of other levels to explore after all. Tier 3 depths that aren't FSC can get you some decent cash off of mats if you're lucky (aka get a sun silver somehow)

and I suppose you CAN use your pepperbox even in FSC. Its only the damage that would be useful, not the effect (though please stay away from the oilers lol..)

lol well you can always go to other tier 3 areas. I mean FSC is endgame (for now) but there's lots of other levels to explore after all. Tier 3 depths that aren't FSC can get you some decent cash off of mats if you're lucky (aka get a sun silver somehow)

and I suppose you CAN use your pepperbox even in FSC. Its only the damage that would be useful, not the effect (though please stay away from the oilers lol..)

Oh, I go to other areas. I just decided I'd give FSC a whirl since Vanaduke is the only boss/artifact I need. I'm a bit hesitant to sell some mats because I don't want to sell something I'll need for an item (and even as much of a master as I am with the auction house, I've never been that good with selling mats).

With my daring rigadoon's piercing damage and fire-inducing pepperbox, oilers are officially the enemy whom I can't beat on my own. I'm building up a calibur as an alternate weapon, so this should hopefully be a problem of the past.

yeah, if you have more than 50 of any item(that's not five stars), you really should consider selling stuff. You won't really need that many for personal use unless you just have the energy to ragecraft things.

Be sure to upgrade any UV haze bombs you want now, soon they're going to become two star haze bombs and you won't be able to use them to make special lines of Shivermist/Ash/VV anymore

I'm kind of disappointed since I did want to get a very high UV one, one day. Even though I do have bomber armor, I would like the option to go without it sometimes haha...

It's the 3 letters we've been waiting for!

P.V.P.

Right now, it's just a Bomberman knockoff, but it's fantastically fun to play. It also lets you use energy (if you choose) and the crown cost is pretty acceptable. People who are complaining about energy limiting gameplay can stop, because this almost makes that problem disappear.

New items, too!

I got a decent rank on the first day (top 140 something) but I wasn't able to play yesterday so I'm sure I'm way lower now and people will be better >.>; still, I'll do my best to win. Heck, even if you lose you get a token so that's kind of nice.

16 more losses til I can get a new...something. I'm tempted to aim for the stun bomb upgrade but I might try to sell a mod cap thing (whatever you use to make the new trinkets, I forgot the name).

There's an OCR guild (somewhere on the first page I think maybe?) but I'm not in it. I already joined a guild before I paid attention to this topic here. Still, don't underestimate random people, some of them are pretty good and can make good friends later if you need to check recipes or join runs on more profitable stages. That's why I actually keep a fairly large friends list, not because I know these people, but because I can use them to my advantage :D (and vice versa of course).

Ah, so there is. :)

And yeah, I wound up with two good traveling companions on a JK run last night, though I didn't think to friend them. It's really frustrating how more than half of the runs I've done through that end with everyone else bailing right before the actual JK fight. I'm not quite able to handle soloing him yet, so that usually means I'm stuck going back to the surface too.

If you have free time and weren't considering playing, there's a costume helmet giveaway. Just play Battle Network for 1 match this weekend and you'll get it.

I ended up winning a free helmet on a bribe anyhow (and the one I was planning on getting anyway), which was an absurdly pleasant surprise. So, yeah, consider throwing some energy into the bribe meter when you play.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump, but if anyone in here is still playing regularly, there was a fairly significant update released today. There's a whole new level type that has some sort of torch-lighting gameplay mechanic; it hasn't made it to an active gate to try yet, though. There are a few limited-time costumes you get if you spend at least $10 on energy. And maybe most importantly of all, Spiral Knights was added to the new Steam Trading system, so you can trade items outside of the game, and even trade them for items from TF2 and Portal.

Sorry for the bump, but if anyone in here is still playing regularly, there was a fairly significant update released today. There's a whole new level type that has some sort of torch-lighting gameplay mechanic; it hasn't made it to an active gate to try yet, though. There are a few limited-time costumes you get if you spend at least $10 on energy. And maybe most importantly of all, Spiral Knights was added to the new Steam Trading system, so you can trade items outside of the game, and even trade them for items from TF2 and Portal.

Yeah, I saw that. However, the steam trade update actually broke my Spiral Knights. If I start steam up, and try to go into SK, I just get a brief flash of the character select screen followed by a no-error exit. The only solution I've found thus far is to disable Steam Community In-Game, load it up, back out, then re-enable it, load it up, and bam, fully working. PITA but at least it doesn't keep me from playing. I got very worrisome because my account is tied to my Steam account and can no longer play with Stand-Alone client ;_;

I did pay for some energy last month and that has made getting some of the tighter upgrades a breeze. Still mostly 3* items with a 4* sword, but haven't had the chance to do a JK run. If anyone else is still playing I'd love to give it a shot with four people. Vilecat's about the same level of progress as I am so one or two other same level people could probably do it, right? Also got Zircon to make an account yesterday, so he's got a bit to go but should probably join for some runs.

That new locale sounds really awesome, hope it makes it into rotation when I'm upgraded enough to play.

Edit: totally forgot, name is LevelNinetyNine on SK.

That sucks to hear about the issue you're having; hopefully they can get that fixed in a patch. I just hit Tier 3 access myself, so I could definitely do a JK run. I actually managed to get the new area the other day, and it's pretty fun. It has much more of a gameplay element, like the Factory levels (though without their hideous lag), which I'm hoping continues in future new levels.