Sonic 2 - Boss theme

Anti-Syne

So here's the first draft of my latest track, and it's another from Sonic 2. It's alot more slower paced that my other work, as always let me know what you like, but more importantly what you don't like and what you would change.

stats.png

and Version 2:

stats.png

and although I doubt many people need it, here's the source:

Any comments very much appreciated!

I was impressed with version 1, but version 2 definitely enhanced it some. I'm really liking the mechanical feel, it certainly fits Robotnik well.

Theres a few moments where it feels like not much is going on, but it seems to fit in the context of the song to me.

There's some great use of panning here.

Having the theme reintroduced every now and then with different instrumentation helps keep it interesting. A bit more variation could help, but there's plenty going on in between the themes so I'm not sure if it would be necessary.

Overall the mix quality seems quite good as well, but someone with good monitors might be able to elaborate more on that for you.

There are some really good ideas here. There might be some room for improvement, but personally I'm pretty impressed. Keep it up.

It's great, overall. Long, a little on the boring side, but it's great.

One issue that might help with just about anything that's wrong with the track, though - you really need some sounds that fill the mid/upper-mids of the EQ. Perhaps a pad, maybe an electronic texture, instead (to keep with the style), but this track never seems to fill that portion out. Instead of blanketing the track with that mid filler, though, you could have it come in and out at choice parts to make the track more interesting overall - thus fixing the supposed 'variety' problem (it's actually very varied, but it sounds like it's all the same due to the soundscape). Yeah, fill that range better and you'll have a real winner on your hands, here.

Nice sounds, interesting arrangement. I likes it.

Hey, this is pretty neat :-) Lots of very cool sound design going on, though I do feel like the sound effects get a little played out by the time the song is over, unfortunately. There's a lot of good variation in the arrangement, which I like. Overall, there's a lot of cool stuff going on here, the arrangement itself kinda drags on for a bit too long but it's solid. I think this would have a pretty fair shot at the judge's panel, let's see what another workshop mod has to say about this one!

• 2 weeks later...