OCR00444 - Secret of Mana "Cry from the Forest"

Ginnsu

Secret of Mana 'Cry from the Forest'

A sweet little piano piece with a range of other instruments as well. A little soft for my tastes but it is excellently arranged, and I love the way this climaxes. Excellent piece Mustin and Kassie!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So, soooo sweet. Makes ya go "aaaaaahhhhhhh........".

Ya know, I've been kinda wanting to make a nice pretty remix at some point here... and I always think to myself "ya know, I should make a pretty remix sometime, like that Secret of Mana mix Mustin and Kassie did..."

Then I listen, and realize how beautifully simple it is, and yet still pulls the heartstrings. Wow. This is just beautiful. If only we could hear it with real orchestral instruments sometime... ahh.......

-Mazedude

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm surprised this doesn't have more reviews. It's been said in almost every post, but the piano introduction is just fantastic. Like Mazedude posted, this is a simple and beautiful piece. I think the simplicity adds to its beauty. Very nice work here, both of you.

this is simply a wonderfull piece of music, download it now if you havent.

on a personal note, i first listened to this the night after a particularly depressing day... i had spent the afternoon around a girl i was quite fond of, and who i hadnt told my particular feelings, and her current boyfriend. it may sound sad but this song was so moving and sad... it sort of became a symbol of my lovesickness and to this day i cant listen to it without pushing back tears... and its been over a year.

thanks mustin and kassie, if you ever read this, for such a great tune, even though its been so representative of sadness to me.

and everyone else, did i mention you should download it now, if you havent?

• 11 months later...

I loved this remix, the soft melodies and easily recognised tune were warming, uplifting and saddening at the same time.

I heartily recommend this to anyone who likes emotional music.

Although it's 2:27 long, at the end of it I always feel like it's only just started and finished too soon.

A sign of a great piece of music, that it leaves you wanting more!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh I just love this song, I just can't appreciate Mustin anymore than I already do

This song feels so romantic and thoughtful and reminds me of all those depressing RPGs I used to play

What a beautiful song! Awesome job on this one Mustin and Kassie! Oh how this song makes me want to cry

• 10 months later...

I can't believe I somehow managed to miss this masterpiece among the other remixes. It's soft as a silk pillow filled with dune feathers and moogle fur. The piano is very reflecting, it doesn't play much keys, but what it plays is what counts. The whole arrangement is mellow, calm like a summer night and sweet like honey. The strings adds some more beauty to it, the flute adds spirit, and the violin adds sorrow. The synth itself sounds suspiciously like if it's taken from the game, but it fits so perfectly in this remix. It's very sad, no wonder this remix brought tears to some, I can almost feel some coming my way too.

Beautiful remix, both of you. :cry:

• 5 weeks later...

The second part literally made me stop driving (I had made a mix cd without listening beforehand). The fucking synthy piano made remember playing this with my friend while it was raining outside. The fireplace was on and my mom was making dinner. It was a beautifully orange memory.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I admit I couldn't really get into this one. It's a good theme, but it seemed like the timing on the various instruments never got into a good groove, and there were were dropped half beats and stuff in the transitions, as well as some weird recording noises and a lot of hiss. :-(

The theme is beautiful, but the execution is a bit lacking. :-(

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I suppose it's the blending of so many little elements into a cohesive whole.

well said. I really like how there's almost distinct segments and how the way the mix travels and weaves them together in such a way that it reminds the listener that there are no segments, only a contiguous melody. This mix is the musical embodiment of simultaneous awareness of the parts and the whole.

I also love the casual, not-forced-but-relaxed, almost classical presentation of this mix.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nicely toned down, emotive work with a truly beautiful arrangement. It's both heart-rending and peaceful at the same time; a great dual role piece.

Being an early mix however, there are technical shortcomings that pop out when listening microscopically through headphones. Some of the samples seem stark and it's not the tidiest of songs, but frankly that's stuff I couldn't care less about.

As far as achieving beauty through simplicity, this one knocks it out of the park. And it has, quite possibly, one of my favourite climaxes of any mix. Stunning example of OCR: The early years.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00444 - Secret of Mana "Cry from the Forest"
  • 4 years later...