OCR02219 - Sonic the Hedgehog "The Sound of Speed"

djpretzel

Awesome! I had been refreshing ocremix.org all day this morning waiting for the album to drop.

So far I'm through the first half and it's great so far! As for this track, it was great as well! Green Hill is one of those tracks that is hard to elaborate on without losing the melody, but I like how this track sound familiar yet still distinct.

Great job!

When I heard the guitar lead in the project trailer released last month, I was a bit concerned because what I heard followed the original fairly closely. Of course for advertisement purposes I suppose it makes sense, entice people in with something recognisable that they know...

Because when the song hit for real I was blown away. This truly could be the definite take on this song, which I'm amazed to be saying in 2011 after it's already seen so many different iterations already.

I love how the guitar (at first) follows the melody fairly closely whilst some great things are going on in the background. Thanks for this great mix.

Sonic is one of the earliest games I REMEMBER playing, but I think my earliest game was like... MegaMan on the NES

Edit: I am sorry for this off-topic post, I confused this thread with the project release thread since they have the same name. To include further review and make this not a waste of the post, I will say this song is great. A splendid way to start off the album, flowing pretty well from the short intro. It fits. Great work!

Ah, a pretty amazing take on the Green Hill Zone. I think it's fairly easy to say that this theme is the song that defines how I feel about Sonic: It starts off with a lot of energy, hangs back in the middle while having cool things happening elsewhere and then bringing it all back to where it belongs. Such awesome work on this Remix with the guitar and it's very true to what I like about ReMixes: taking a song and upgrading it to another level. Damn good way to start off the Sonic album.

• 4 months later...

About time I comment on this.

I want to say that for some reason, when I was first listening to the album I had trouble getting into this song. I think I might have listened to it one time before about 3 weeks ago. Every other time I played it I would just change the song before the first minute was up.

Surprisingly though, this is now pretty much my favorite song off the album. Weird. I can't explain it, but about 3 weeks ago I decided to give it a full listen in my car, and once I got to the first breakdown section, I started falling in love with the song. It just kept getting better and better, and once 1:50 came around, I was absolutely awestruck. I think this song show's some amazing talents mixed in well. OA and Scaredism really brought their best to the table here, and without one or the other, the song wouldn't have been nearly as good. (obviously).

I kept listening to it more and more to try to figure out why I didn't like it at first -- but I think I've come to the conclusion that the drums just weren't really that strong for the first 50 seconds or so. Maybe some more kick could have worked or something. I can't say for sure what would have made it better, but it doesn't matter now.

Nice work you two! This experience showed me I should really give some of the mixes on this site second chances. If not, this might happen again.

• 3 months later...

When I first joined OCR this was the album that had just been released. Being HUGE Sonic fan I was in luck. This was one of the first mixes I checked out on OCR and boy am I glad I did. A really nice, light and bright rock version of a classic theme that will have each Sonic fan screaming "YES! This is amazing". A solid arrangement that entwines the original and some great solo work.

• 2 weeks later...
And one of the most familiar tracks in gaming gets a rockin’ facelift yet again. Guitar comes in at 0:18. Dual guitar tones at 0:27 or so! At least this song doesn’t start out with HEY IT’S THE PARTY SONG!! PARTY’S OVER HERE!! Just kidding, I love that part. Anyways, pretty faithful mix. Or at least, it is until 1:54 when the mixage begins. OA and Scaredsim did great on giving this a tropical feel while keeping it rocking. Throughout the solo, the crescendo plays continuously in the background. Back to source at 2:49.

This song captures the essence of Green Hill Zone and uses it to fuel the rock. Great work from both of you!

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02219 - Sonic the Hedgehog "The Sound of Speed"