*NO* Animal Crossing 'I'm in Love'

Liontamer

Email sub file animal_crossing_i'minlove_oc_remix.mp3 - LT

I PMed you to ask if you could just scratch my resident evil (Safe Room) song. And I would like to know if I could replace it with a completly different song, from a different game. Either way you need to scratch it, please. Thanks.

LT: No problem. Ran the replacement submission idea by djp, and he said ok for this time only. Yesterday, Pat mailed me with the info for his replacement submission.

Name: Patrick Wagstaff

Bio: Bla bla bla.

Original Game: Animal Crossing

Original Composer: Kazumi Totaka

System: Nintendo Gamecube

Year: 2002

Original Title: K.K. Love

Remix Title: I'm In Love

I don’t know where I got the inspiration for remixing an Animal Crossing song, but I think the final result has turned out nice.

I normally deal with trance songs or piano solos, so with this one I wanted do some thing different. No I didn't chose the K.K. Love (the original) for a Valentines Day mix, or because I am in love or anything, but simply because of my passion for the original.

And besides, me in love, or somebody in love with ME! Ha, ha, now that's funny.

It's been my style/trademark with most of my songs to through in a "Break" somewhere along the line. And this song is no exception.

This is a link to a midi of the original. http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gamecube/kklovesong.mid

I hope you like it.

Enjoy

HAHA the original is hilarious.

As for the mix, I like the groove. It's got a really deep-yet-floaty sound to it too. Piano works well over everything else.

I get the feeling though that there might be too much reverb; the piece is lacking in clarity. The low end gets filled up with 'verb; could use some more higher freqs.

Also, the song is a bit short.

I think this song has a lot of good things going for it, but there's a lack of development and some clarity issues. I'm going to say NO (resub).

The intro was sweet as hell. I really thought this was gonna pwn it, even with this so-so piano synth in there. The beats came in at :19 though, and everything sounded so plain on that level. The piano brought in the source tune at :28, but the sounds were imbalanced as these thin-sounding beats & snaps somehow dominated over everything else. Tone that stuff down some.

The bassline was so dry, it provided little to the piece. Cool freestyle-ish work from 1:26-1:55. Then you just repeated the arrangement stuff you had earlier at 2:08 with some of the freestyle layered on top. Develop the arrangement ideas a bit further instead of complacently retreading them. Nice ending; I liked the fadeout there. This piece could have been so much more, but needs a lot more refinement & polish as is.

Interesting arrangement ideas overall, Pat, but the instrumentation being so thin in texture as well as the sounds being so distant & reverbed so much hurt the presentation here.

NO (refine/resubmit)

This is basically a repeating pattern with a piano lead that occasionally solos (which reminds me of bliss). No development whatsoever. Distorted synth gets old, stacatto two note bassline gets boring.

Now I'm listening to the original. No surprise, there's nothing to it. If you're going to pick material like this, your mix obviously needs to develop in an original direction while staying true to the "theme's" spirit.

NO

And don't try to gip the submission system again. No one "needed" to scratch your previous mix, which some of us already spent time voting on.

Huh? The original made me go 8O:?

I like this mix. It takes the original and sophisticates it. I didn't like the bass sound much, perhaps you could have gone with something that sounded a little smoother. Piano parts are nice, drums are crisp, vibe is calm and relaxed. Works for me.

YES

lol your variable bitrate range is huge.

I wasn't really enjoying that distorted synth at all. If anything I thought it detracted from the other elements of the mix. I don't really have any issues with the reverb per se, but the low register elements coupled with each other and the reverb create problems.

Prior to the eq/mastering stage, I would go back to the composition drawing board and figure out which elements could be done without or eq'd individually, then I would work on EQing this on the master level as well. Particularly the elements causing the mud should be paid attention to before it even gets to the reverb.

The piano work is decent, but not as interesting or as complex as the other mixes I've heard from you.

Decent mix, but nothing really stands out in the arrangement/composition, production or originality department. One or a combination of these must be met first. Keep at it, I know you're capable fine work.

NO