Preset Hate

J.L.Condon

For me it is easier to just create the sound I want rather than auditioning a ton of presets. But on the rare occasions I do find a preset that matches my artistic vision I'll use it. And that's what I advise people to do:

If a drumloop/preset/etc adequately represents your artistic vision, then use it. But if you rely on drumloops/presets/etc. as a crutch or substitute for artistic vision, then you might as well just give up - your music is doomed to banality with or without the presets.

cheers.

I never use presets. All my synth sounds come from an Init patch.

Doesn't mean I'm superior, am ambient says. It just means I'm superior when it comes to synth design.

If all your sounds come from an 'init patch' it does not follow that you are 'superior' when it comes to synth design. You could very well program your own sounds that are just as clichéd and lacking in originality as any preset.

If all your sounds come from an 'init patch' it does not follow that you are 'superior' when it comes to synth design. You could very well program your own sounds that are just as clichéd and lacking in originality as any preset.

I think you're missing the point.

The different "cliques" around here remind me of like, a prison cafeteria. Oh over here you've got your synth elitists, over here you've got your "It sounds like a MIDI" crusaders.. the live instrumentalists cowering in the corner, and over here we've got sequencer-hating acoustic elitists :razz:

fixed. :D

I think someone earlier hit the nail on the head, in saying that "if it fits your artistic vision, go for it, but if not, you got problems." That's pretty much how I feel--if a patch doesn't fit what you're doing, don't force the issue.

On the other hand, I've been inspired to create certain songs by a single loop or patch which I then elaborated on, and I'm pretty sure my "artistic vision" was only helped by the existence of the patch/loop.

The difference between the synthesizer users and the analog instrumentalists is that synth users are inherently given far more options. I guess I just feel like it's a shame to waste those options--mastery of your instrument includes knowing how to make it sound how YOU want it to sound, and you're not using your instrument to its fullest potential if you're stuck with presets.

I wanna argue against your point of it being counterproductive, since knowing how to tweak patches or make your own helps you tweak or design more fitting sounds. As useful as presets are when they fit, they're easily used when they don't fit, leading to problems mixing/getting a cohesive sound. Even when just a little editing would be enough.

Agreed. I think maybe we are now arguing about the degree of tweaking the presets.

Also, Mustin, thanks for your post, now I know that other remixers share my point of view and I am not just crazy.

I think you're missing a chromosome.

Please elaborate.

I read it as he's superior in synth design to people who can't use anything but presets.

Which makes absolutely perfect sense. If he can do it, and they can't, he's superior in that ability. Whether or not his actual sounds are good is irrelevant, he is "superior" because he knows how to do things from the ground up.

I read it as he's superior in synth design to people who can't use anything but presets.

Which makes absolutely perfect sense. If he can do it, and they can't, he's superior in that ability. Whether or not his actual sounds are good is irrelevant, he is "superior" because he knows how to do things from the ground up.

That conclusion does not follow either. Anyone can start from an init patch and arbitrarily tweak knobs without knowledge or understanding of synthesis. Not superior.

Haha, I love how these people that hate presets and turn their nose up to them act like TERRIBLE custom synths have never existed. Haha.

It comes down to the final product. I don't give a rats ass about anyone's technical skill with all their synths they've lovingly created, because if your music sounds like ass, I won't listen to it ever again. A finely crafted, unique sound is great, but it being solely UNIQUE by no means makes your music better than someone else's. Presets are effective, they can be modded and even layered on top of other presets.

The whole argument is just silly, and sadly I've heard it all over the internet, but its all just a whole bunch of insecure prick waving.

That's neblix' point.

Just like using a box full of effects doesn't make your guitar playing any better just because you have them.

No, that is the opposite of their point. It is me whom you agree with. Shall I explain?

Kidd Cabbage's premise:

- I never use presets. All my synth sounds come from an Init patch.

Kidd Cabbage's conclusion:

- I'm superior when it comes to synth design.

Neblix's conclusion:

- [Kidd Cabbage] is "superior" because he knows how to do things from the ground up

I've argued that those conclusions do not follow the premise. Your guitar example is logically conterminous with my argument.

cheers.

Some people might be surprised that I actually use a lot of presets in my music. I'm very capable at designing my own sounds and know my way around most kinds of synthesizers, but there's almost nothing more inspiring to me than picking up a beautiful analog patch from Omnisphere, or a gorgeous guitar instrument and just playing away. Sometimes, getting mired in programming kills my creativity, or I just spend hours on a patch that doesn't sound all that amazing to begin with.

Some people might be surprised that I actually use a lot of presets in my music. I'm very capable at designing my own sounds and know my way around most kinds of synthesizers, but there's almost nothing more inspiring to me than picking up a beautiful analog patch from Omnisphere, or a gorgeous guitar instrument and just playing away. Sometimes, getting mired in programming kills my creativity, or I just spend hours on a patch that doesn't sound all that amazing to begin with.

Really? I find that hard to believe. Then again that explains how frequent you post here.

I have no preset hate, and would love to use them if they sound good. Unfortunately I use Reason 3.0, which only comes with two synthesizers, and the presets on them are... well, limiting, after you use them for a while. That forces me to get into custom synths.

Ah well, I guess that makes me a better musician overall, in the long run. I think I hold a common position here - if it works for you than go for it. The only time I'll point something out is if the preset is not working for a particular track, but then it's not an issue of a preset but of soundscape design.

Really? I find that hard to believe. Then again that explains how frequent you post here.

Haha, you mean how often I post remixes, or post on the forums? Most times if I'm posting on the forums, it's because I CAN'T work on music. If you check out my YouTube channel and video walkthroughs, behind-the-scenes, etc. you'll see how I approach things. Some projects, I spend an entire day crafting a single sound. Other projects, I'm so inspired by a preset that I can roll with that without modifying it too much.

I do not hate presets, on the contrary: I love them and I need them.

I am by far not proficient enough to set everything up from scratch - be it a reverb or a compressor or whatever. I am happy to have presets that I can use. Of course I need to adjust them to the task at hand, but it is always a good basis to start working with. For me, at least.

I do not hate presets, on the contrary: I love them and I need them.

I am by far not proficient enough to set everything up from scratch - be it a reverb or a compressor or whatever. I am happy to have presets that I can use. Of course I need to adjust them to the task at hand, but it is always a good basis to start working with. For me, at least.

More voices of reason right there.

posting on OCR forum + complaining about elitism = maximum rofl.

edit: From what I've seen, we're retreading the discussion at this point. A few pages back someone mentioned that most people who participate in this community are musicians, or at least are familiar with the process, and are able to pick out "tired" preset sounds that a casual listener wouldn't, and I think that right there is pretty much what the OP was looking for.