Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx

Sounds like they're trying to work with 3rd party devs a bit more this time.

Article with a picture of the console and of the controller.

http://kotaku.com/5809482/the-is-the-first-picture-of-nintendos-new-console-the-wii-u

OCR NintendoID List

AzureZeal: GilaMoo
avaris: swallace21
Bahamut: BahamutWC
Bleck: Dr.Bleck
Brandon Strader: bestrader
Brushfire: TheBrushfire
Calpis: famicomboy
Cecilff2: Cecilff2
Darkesword: DarkeSword
DJ SymBiotiX: DJSymBiotiX
Doulifée: Doulifee
DrumUltimA: DrumUltimA
Hylian Lemon: Hylian_Lemon
Irish: ftninja
megadave: daveoneal
Mirby: MirbyStudios
OCRE: starkweatherTD
One-Hit: Onehit
Overflow: GameBird
relyanCe: relyanCe
Sir_Downunder: SirDownunder
Swifthom: Swifthom
Thalzon: Thalzon
therex: therexasaurous
Unstable Hamster: UnstableHamster
wildfire: ladywildfire

Edited by Cecilff2
Nintendo IDs

And then Xbox 720 and PS4 will come immediately after, blowing Nintendo out of the water in horsepower (again).

That's Nintendo's plan, though. They don't do high-end (and thus, more expensive) hardware. They make cheaper hardware that can be sold at a profit instead of selling the system at a loss and making profit on the games.

So far, it's worked out really, really, really, really, really well for them.

Meanwhile, Sony and MS are still selling their systems at either minimal profit or a significant loss, and hoping everyone buys lots of games.

EDIT: Oh wait, wait, wait. What is it's HD as in Hard Drive? Yep, it's a Wii, but with a lot more storage capacity! Oh yeah, 80 drive, here we come!

Edited by The Damned

As a total fanboy, I'm basically stuck buying this system... But I hope this time I won't have to wait outside at 3 am for one. If Nintendo really wants this system to sell fast at launch, they should have a Mario game prepared for it... Or maybe another Smash Bros.

But maybe we'll just get an HD Skyward Sword.

what?

No, really. What?

This a seriously stupid comment and shows that you know nothing about them besides the stuff you read from fanboys of the other two main systems out there.

I'm not dissing Nintendo. I have a gamecube and I still play and love games like F-Zero, Smash Bros, All the metroid games, Various Resident Evil Games, etc. You have to admit, out of the three major systems out there, Nintendo is the most family friendly and lots of great games that are out on the other systems are not on Wii or Gamecube. Likewise, some great games on Nintendo are not on other systems. I'll still take PS3 and Xbox's selection of exclusive titles over Nintendo any day though. Sly Cooper, Twisted Metal, Ratchet & Clank, Tekken, Street Fighter beats Mario and Link any day for me.

I have no interest in the majority of games that are out on current Nintendo systems is basically what I'm saying. The new metroid looks good but I'll only buy a Wii if they make a new F-Zero.

I'm also not a hardcore video game person. I can only judge by what I've saw of the systems. You guys cry too much.

But maybe we'll just get an HD Skyward Sword.

That would explain why all the promo screenshots for the game are HD (or at the very least, higher resolution than the Wii is capable of.)

I really hope that it's backwards compatible with Wii games though. I want to play my Wii games in HD without having to buy a new computer and run them on the Dolphin Emu.

Family friendliness isn't Nintendo's problem. The family friendly Donkey Kong Country Returns, for example, is a hardcore game with wide appeal (both hardcore gamers and younger gamers alike). The same is generally true of the core Mario series games. Zelda and Metroid are in similar situations.

Nintendo's problem since the N64 days has been entirely system- or format-based when it comes to hardcore gamers. The N64 used cartridges. Its graphics were suprior to the PS1, as was its general processing power. However, its games were expensive as hell to make and manufacture compared to the CD-based PS1 games. Likewise, the cartridges had less space, so while the PS1 couldn't put out gorgeous graphics like later N64 titles, it could put out CD-quality music and prerendered cutscenes, which were not something the N64 could afford to use cartridge space toward.

Then we have the GameCube. Everyone else goes to DVD, Nintendo goes to mini-discs. While the GameCube was on par with the XBox in terms of graphics, sound, etc. for the most part, 3rd parties weren't putting games out for it in some cases because they didn't fit on the disc. Some were split up into 2 discs, but other games simply skipped the system. Another reason 3rd parties didn't make GCN games was probably the demographics of the GameCube. This was the one situation where the family-friendly approach was harmful. If adult gamers don't own the system, there's no reason to put many M-rated games out for it. So here, it was a combination of medium and marketing.

Finally, we have the Wii. Family-friendly marketing done right. The system is in many homes, often alongside a PS3 or a 360. But the Wii has a huge problem. Despite coming out simultaneously with the PS3, it's not nearly as powerful, and that's where Nintendo first dropped the ball. While it was irrelevant back in 2006 and 2007, it became increasingly relevant since then. The best looking Wii games were and are Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, which means the graphical peak of the system, at least as of now, was achieved in 2007 (Metroid Prime 3 is another example of a beautiful game, which also debuted that year). If Zelda doesn't completely wow, then we'll know that Mario Galaxy 1 achieved early-on the most the Wii was capable of, and the problem becomes clearer. Nintendo also dropped the ball in the online area. Friend codes for every game? It makes no sense. Compared to the competition, the Wii's online is beyond terrible, which is a shame. Also, the trophy/achievement support, which is just one of those little things that people like for whatever reason, is completely absent. The Wii is meant to be played in a room with 4 people flailing about wildly; it is not meant to be played online while sitting on a couch holding a controller.

So what does this mean for the next system? A couple of things. First, since Nintendo will likely be first out of the gate, it had better hope the Wii 2's processing power is on par with the PS4 and XBox 720 because it NEEDS third party support, specifically and especially from companies like Rockstar and Activision, whose games are often seen as "hardcore" by the community. Second, its online had better be amazing. And free. If they're going to market it, it makes no sense to say they're going to charge for something that has the potential to be just as bad as the Wii's online. They also need to eliminate friend codes or retain the 3DS approach. Additionally, there's no reason they can't give out stars to players as the equivalent of trophies and achievements. Finally, waggle and motion functionality have to be optional in games. Period. Because if I have to choose between waggling my wrist with the Wii remote or picking up a PS3 controller, I'm going with the latter.

And now that I think about it and read over this again, I realize something funny. My actual recommendation for Nintendo's Wii 2 is simple: make a more powerful version of the PS3 with Nintendo first party titles on it.

You guys cry too much.

It was a silly thing to say. Saying that Pixar movies are too G-rated would likely get you the same reaction.

I have no interest in the majority of games that are out on current Nintendo systems is basically what I'm saying.

That's probably what you should have said in the first place, since it reflects your preferences more than what could have only been assumed to be a supposed failure on Nintendo's part.

The problem with Nintendo is everything they do these days is just waaaayyyy too G rated.

YEAHHH Remember on the NES when Mario ripped bowsers heart out, and on the SNES when Samus just walked around NAKED?

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU NINTENDO?

Edited by Crowbar Man

If you have no interest in Nintendo games, why are you in this thread?

I'm really excited for this new console. As much as I defend the "Gameplay over Graphics" argument, I still really want to see Zelda and Metroid with graphics better than the PS3.

I hope it will also allow you to transfer WiiWare games over like the 3DS.

a riveting tale

Glad I didn't let ya down.

If you have no interest in Nintendo games, why are you in this thread?

..................*facepalm*

I'm not dissing Nintendo. I have a gamecube and I still play and love games like F-Zero, Smash Bros, All the metroid games, Various Resident Evil Games, etc. You have to admit, out of the three major systems out there, Nintendo is the most family friendly and lots of great games that are out on the other systems are not on Wii or Gamecube. Likewise, some great games on Nintendo are not on other systems. I'll still take PS3 and Xbox's selection of exclusive titles over Nintendo any day though. Sly Cooper, Twisted Metal, Ratchet & Clank, Tekken, Street Fighter beats Mario and Link any day for me.

I have no interest in the majority of games that are out on current Nintendo systems is basically what I'm saying. The new metroid looks good but I'll only buy a Wii if they make a new F-Zero.

Samus just walked around NAKED?

That would be AWESOME. Best Metroid evar.

Nintendo does have some surprisingly non-G-rated moments even in their first games.

Like in New Super Mario Bros. on the DS when you dunk Bowser into the lava for the first time. And then you watch him struggling to get out of the lava. And then you watch HIS SKIN AND FLESH MELT OFF OF HIS BONES.

I was terrified.