Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

The touch screen in the controllers of the Wii U look like they have the potential to add a lot of fun to games. The controller seems kind of big, but fortunately it looks as though the buttons and control stick are grouped close together on either side, easily within thumb range. Judging by the Zelda tech demo, it seems as though Nintendo is planning to use the touch screen for item management, which sounds great. If you have the ability to place items anywhere you want on the touch screen, you could customize it in a way that works best for you.

I would also like to see it used as a mini-map sometimes, or as a second camera angle. Say you're moving blocks around because you're trying to solve a puzzle to progress in a game. The touch screen could turn into a bird's-eye view of the field you're moving the blocks around on, so you can easily see where the next one goes. Or perhaps even set a camera view to look directly behind your character, where you see what's ahead of you on the TV, and what's behind you on the touch screen.

Should be interesting to see how this feature is applied in the future.

So we have a new console with screens in the controllers, with only
to show off the hardware.

Originality? This is Nintendo!

Oh well, I'll still get to play a

with Nintendo and Squeenix characters this time!

i'm quoting this so it's on the next page. because it's :nicework: and looks like a schwaltz post with all the links.

edit: damn, counted wrong.

Edited by prophetik music

One small issue with the Wii U controller:

Touch screen is old style resistive, like the DS family touch screens, doesn't respond great to fingertips (comes with a stylus for fine control, just like DS) and no multi touch. Had to save money somewhere!

i saw that there was no multitouch, but resistive = baaad for finger usage. just doesn't respond like the capacitive screens do.

is it that big of a difference in cost?

i saw that there was no multitouch, but resistive = baaad for finger usage. just doesn't respond like the capacitive screens do.

is it that big of a difference in cost?

With a screen that size, probably. My little ipod touch screen replacement cost me $10.

Upon looking more closely, I take back my previous comments on the Wii U controller. It's definitely not the worst I've ever seen, but rather it's mediocre. As long as the controller feels tolerable to hold, and the people making games for it don't try and do too much with all the features of that controller, it shouldn't be that bad. The worst controller I've ever seen was for the Atari 5200, and for the Wii U's controller to be even half as bad is a bit of a long shot.

Capacitative screens themselves cost more, up to double depending on the manufacturer, and to use a stylus on them even more costly, needs special "active stylus"

Nintendo seems to be fine with using resistive screens for their devices both because its cheap and it can use a cheap stylus.

Unfortunately for the user, it means no multitouch and weak non-stylus touch detection compared to the common devices out today. But DS family gets by with it, im sure Wii U will

I think the point is that the system is powerful enough to run games that are coming out right now for ps3/360

and the developers expressing their enthusiasm would likely indicate that they've already begun development on games specifically for it

In 1.5-2 years, the WiiU will be in the same position as the Wii power wise versus its competing consoles.

Ie out of date

Not sure that's going to be relevant. The Wii was about the same power as the GC, so there wasn't an improvement gen to gen. Whereas the WiiU actually seems to have considerably more power under the hood. Once you get to a certain point, the amount of extra power doesn't really matter. PS3 has better specs than 360, but that didn't make a difference in the end. It's hard to imagine MS/Sony's next consoles being an even bigger leap from current gen.

Also the problem with the Wii (if there was one) wasn't the power, it was the lack of the third-party developer support. The Wii had enough power for excellent games. It's the same or better than a PS2, and there are plenty of amazing PS2 games, so the problem really wasn't the hardware at all.

Not sure that's going to be relevant. The Wii was about the same power as the GC, so there wasn't an improvement gen to gen. Whereas the WiiU actually seems to have considerably more power under the hood. Once you get

to a certain point, the amount of extra power doesn't really matter.

nobody will ever need more than 512kb of ram... (or whatever the stupid quote is)

PS3 has better specs than 360, but that didn't make a difference in the end. It's hard to imagine MS/Sony's next consoles being an even bigger leap from current gen.

Because the 360 was the lead platform for almost all games being developed (because it was the most popular of the actual next gen systems. no wii was not next gen at its time, it was just a new system)

Also the problem with the Wii (if there was one) wasn't the power, it was the lack of the third-party developer support. The Wii had enough power for excellent games. It's the same or better than a PS2, and there are plenty of amazing PS2 games, so the problem really wasn't the hardware at all.

The problem was that the Wii didn't have enough power. that is why there was no 3rd party support. because they couldn't just simply downport from ps3/360 (which were the only systems devs were truly interested in making games for). if the wii had been equal in power you can guaranfuckingtee your shit it would have gotten ports across the board like the ps3 and 360.

it all comes down to power.

power.

money.

women.

in that order. sometimes.

Okay but honestly, how much more powerful can systems get? besides, MS and Sony don't plan on releasing their nest consoles before 2014.

Right! And we all know how long after launch it took for Sony to get things in high gear! If you ask me, it wasn't until 2009 that the PlayStation 3's price had subsided adequately, and there was enough good software to make it worth the buy. The XBOX 360 launched at the beginning of 2006, and it had substantial software by the end of 2007, but the price didn't recede until September 2009 IIRC. The Wii launched in early 2007, and by May 2008, it had just over half the software to make that worth it. In October 2009, the Wii got a price drop to $200.

But in terms of system power, they do seem like they're reaching their cap. The graphics quality on games is almost exactly the same as 2007. So maybe the WIIU won't be quite as powerful as the 3rd XBOX console or PlayStation 4. I'm not counting on any breakthroughs, so it'll probably be by a reasonable margin.

I stopped caring about graphics around the same time I stopped wearing diapers

"relevance" doesn't really matter

It usually works the other way for people :<

The reason people are so stuck on graphic quality these days is because of how much all the games suck... they just suck sooo hard... and the good graphics are there to compensate for how much the games suck. The games with lesser graphics (wii) that are actually enjoyable (not shovelware) are then laughed at by gfx-nazis. If the games suck then the graphics are VERY important. :-o