Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

I'm honestly not impressed with anything that's been introduced recently. I really like the fact that Link can actually run in the new Zelda game but overall the new console race just looks like a big tech pissing contest.

Of course that's what E3 is all about, and maybe I'm just growing up and realizing that it's mostly a big marketing idea. Anyway, it seems the big new buzz now is in platform independence and breaking down the barriers between devices. This is a good thing dealing with tech but I'm not sure about how I feel with this panning out with video games.

I like online gaming and I like new functionality and freedom, but I think that there's something to be said about playing an ugly, 8 or 16 bit game with one or two friends and not much else - We have lost the beautiful intimacy of gaming and now it appears that we're just trying to upgrade to the next trend and in turn forget to enjoy the artful of gaming.

There's healthy competition - Pushing each other forward like Fatal Fury VS Street Fighter VS Mortal Kombat VS a bunch of other games that forced each other to improve, and then there's a bunch of hype-based obsession dealing with technically one-upping the next guy. We had 8 and 16 and 24 and 32 bit, but good games came first. When you can download a good (new) game for 10 bucks, it starts getting scary.

I've had enough of their semantics. But of course, this came from a guy who used to ride his bike to the video game store, not knowing whether or not the game would be boss, decent or utter shit. I don't know. These guys have some absolutely amazing tech going on, but even Nintendo seems to lack the one thing I used to love about interactive gaming - soul.

We'll learn more in the next few weeks and months about what the companies are doing, but they're getting so predatory that it's rather depressing. Just like my posts. But whatever.

The reason people are so stuck on graphic quality these days is because of how much all the games suck... they just suck sooo hard... and the good graphics are there to compensate for how much the games suck. The games with lesser graphics (wii) that are actually enjoyable (not shovelware) are then laughed at by gfx-nazis. If the games suck then the graphics are VERY important. :-o

To Strader: I should've expected someone to say that sooner or later. I think the problem is more like "half the most popular games since 2007 have been shooters, and there's little room left for innovation in that genre."

To The Damned: Stop cussing at me! I just remember the XBOX and XBOX 360 icons so vividly because they were written in acid green and/or silver. As for the years, with 2001-2009, it's a long story, but it started when I realized that if the 2 is removed from 2007, you're left with a famous character's nickname.

To DarkeSword: You're the only mod here I know of. If I've really caused too much trouble like I think I have, I'll surrender my account to the admins. I don't value my account that much anyway.

Edited by GTAHater836

Well this is disappointing, Fils-Aime has now mentioned apparently the 3rd party reel was composed of 360, PS3, or PC versions of the games, and were not running on Wii U hardware.

So we haven't really seen any games on the Wii U, just those tech demos :/ well... IF those are running on actual Wii U hardware.

I guess they just really wanted to show off the controller

Edited by Crowbar Man

the gamecube was a piece of shit that broke all the time

Everyone I know who had a Gamecube never had theirs break on them. There was also some test I watched where they dropped all 3 of the consoles that gen from certain distances and the Gamecube was the only one that survived all of them.

You must have had terrible terrible luck. Or beat up your console.

On that note I've never had anything Nintendo makes break on me ever. chthonic knows whats up, Nintendo is spot on with their hardware quality.

Well this is disappointing, Fils-Aime has now mentioned apparently the 3rd party reel was composed of 360, PS3, or PC versions of the games, and were not running on Wii U hardware.

So we haven't really seen any games on the Wii U, just those tech demos :/ well... IF those are running on actual Wii U hardware.

I've read that the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3 and 360. Those games they announced are coming out for those systems but Nintendo is telling people they have those games because there is nothing else ready to be shown yet. They take a few third party games and have them ported to Wii U because it can handle them but is BY NO MEANS at the limit of it's technical specs running them and there you go. The ports aren't done so they used 360/PS3 footage because the port will be a comparable product.

I love how game developers proclaim that they're on board with this console, give it a year or two afterward and they'll cease developing for it, saying they can't make a profit for it, or that they can't compete with Nintendo.

History repeats itself.

nintendo, throughout history, 100% of the time, has had the most efficient and durable hardware

period.

I wish I could say the same, but I ended up using my Wii that much within 3-4 years the lens stopped working and I had to send it in for repair. Not sure if this is the norm or not, but I've never had to send in any Sony systems in the past for that exact same reason. *shrug*

In regards to the Wii U, it does show promise though the big concern for me is that there's only going to be one of those tablet controllers per console. I can see a lot of envy going around at parties, even moreso since many of these types of gaming parties in my local area involve players younger than 12. :< I guess we'll wait for any further peripheral advancements in the hopes of seeing this issue raised.

I've read that the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3 and 360.

it damn well better be, it took six years for them to release it.

as for arguments that nintendo stuff is super-resilient and sony/MS stuff sucks because of the PS360, let's compare.

gamecube:

is a quarter of the size

has a minidisk drive, removing possibility of bumps scratching the disc

uses a 20th of the power draw

biggest issues with the 360 is the extra power the 16.5v consoles drew caused overheating issues, it gets bumped and scratches discs because morons stand it upright, and it's big enough that it gets banged around more than a smaller console. once they upgraded the internals to 65nm and then 45nm technology, no more red rings! while i worked at gamecrazy, we took in loads of 360s, but only one falcon (14.2v) and no jaspers (12.1v)...out of probably fifty consoles. wayyy more Wiis and PS3s of all models and numbers. the only falcon we took it overheated because they guy had a sweater sitting on it "accidentally" for a few days. of course if you sit it on the carpet/cover it with stuff it's going to asplode. same with a hot laptop.

how is nintendo going to "fix" these issues? that's just technology growing up. of course your highly advanced and specialized laptop breaks when dropped but your original gameboy, built to get beat on by 3-year-olds, doesn't. you wouldn't toss your computer around and bang on it while it's running, so why would you do that with a console.

people fanboy over consoles all the time, but it comes down to the fact that the PS3 is right around the tech baseline for crapping out in-warranty (~6%), the wii's higher than that (7.5%), and the jasper 360s (only ones made since 2008) are waaaaay below that (~3%). gamecube sits around 7%.

people are idiots.

Edited by prophetik music

lolol I think by now it is safe to assume the machine will be more than capable in the graphics/processing department

nintendo, throughout history, 100% of the time, has had the most efficient and durable hardware

period.

You don't have to look any further than my battle-scarred N64 to see that this is true. That shit's built out of gundanium.

I wish I could say the same, but I ended up using my Wii that much within 3-4 years the lens stopped working and I had to send it in for repair. Not sure if this is the norm or not, but I've never had to send in any Sony systems in the past for that exact same reason. *shrug*

The Wii is notorious for lasers dying after years of continuous use, unfortunately. That's probably one reason why it doesn't play DVDs (even though it has the hardware to do so.)

Any problems I've had with my consoles have been completely unrelated to dropping them out second-story windows and hitting them with sledgehammers. My Wii likes to freeze on me every once in a while these days, so it's too bad the Wii U won't be GameCube compatible (basically what I expected, given the way they do handheld backwards compatibility).

I haven't decided whether I want to bother getting it fixed yet. I tried cleaning it out, but it wasn't really that dusty in there. That was basically the extent of my desire to expend resources and energy.

Edited by Hylian Lemon

The problem was that the Wii didn't have enough power. that is why there was no 3rd party support. because they couldn't just simply downport from ps3/360 (which were the only systems devs were truly interested in making games for). if the wii had been equal in power you can guaranfuckingtee your shit it would have gotten ports across the board like the ps3 and 360.

Yeah, they would have gotten more ports, maybe. But why didn't they get good 3rd party exclusives? Because the Wii was hard to develop for, and that's because of Nintendo, who has openly admitted they've had a bad track record of working with 3rd party devs. Every indie game developer I know that has ever tried has said Nintendo has the worst process by far. They made it extremely difficult to get dev kits, get approval, etc. If they were easier to work with, we might have seen some better 3rd party games.

Anyway, here's a report from someone who played quite a bit of the WiiU at E3. He reports that the handheld screen runs at roughly 480p (by his estimation) and weighs about as much as a DS/PSP, while the console is "noticeably" more powerful than a 360/PS3.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/hub8f/alright_wii_u_haters_ive_played_the_shit_out_of/

Every indie game developer I know that has ever tried has said Nintendo has the worst process by far. They made it extremely difficult to get dev kits, get approval, etc. If they were easier to work with, we might have seen some better 3rd party games.

we also probably would have seen a lot more really awful third party games

I can't wait for the Wii U to have a "new" Call of Duty every year oh boy~