Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

we also probably would have seen a lot more really awful third party games

I can't wait for the Wii U to have a "new" Call of Duty every year oh boy~

While that would be lame-ish, think about the killstreak applications for the controller. You could pilot something from a top-down view or plant a camera somewhere and just look down at your controller to see the full view of whatever passes through that area.

I still love CoD, screw yall.

We used my gamecube as a soccer ball stand-in once.

It still worked afterword. Though the lid had to have a substitute.

So out of all the objects you had around you, you chose a hard, perfectly-shaped cube to replace a soft sphere? I hope alcohol was involved.

Edited by Modus

To Strader: I should've expected someone to say that sooner or later. I think the problem is more like "half the most popular games since 2007 have been shooters, and there's little room left for innovation in that genre."

To The Damned: Stop cussing at me! I just remember the XBOX and XBOX 360 icons so vividly because they were written in acid green and/or silver. As for the years, with 2001-2009, it's a long story, but it started when I realized that if the 2 is removed from 2007, you're left with a famous character's nickname.

To DarkeSword: You're the only mod here I know of. If I've really caused too much trouble like I think I have, I'll surrender my account to the admins. I don't value my account that much anyway.

You're fine. Don't worry about it.

So I know this is a bit off topic, but was anyone else impressed by their stage effects? Maybe I'm a bit behind on this, but when they kept changing the theme and graphics of the entire background, and playing character animations off of the physical curves and slopes of the designed set, I was wowed.

I'm thinking multiple projectors. Even when people onstage walked in front of projected images, they were still there. I assume that means that they've got the same image projected multiple times. But, I don't know much about the subject so I could be completely wrong.

Well, it would make sense that it can deal with one tablet at a time. That's a lot of video streaming to it. I don't doubt that it's possible to do it with multiple tablets, but I guess they have some issues making it work.

They might be able to figure out a way around it before launch, or even post-launch with some sort of patch.

EDIT: Oh! I just thought of this. Virtual Console games on the tablet could be good. It's got the resolution to handle pretty much every single older system, and since you can play it anywhere you want, it would make for one hell of a retro-game system.

Edited by The Damned

Aaaannnnnnnddddddd Nintendo's stock will be dropping another few points in the wake of this announcement.

Seriously, didn't they pioneer traditional local multiplayer? Wasn't their big N64 multiplayer thing the ability to play with 3 other people locally?

Now that having been said, there is one really, really good bit to this news. It's entirely possible that you could just use a Wii-mote and a Classic Controller to play most games. If that's the case, I wouldn't be opposed to it. The Wii Classic Controller is pretty damn sexy, and I'd be more than content with using it for the next generation of games as my main controller.

Well, it would make sense that it can deal with one tablet at a time. That's a lot of video streaming to it. I don't doubt that it's possible to do it with multiple tablets, but I guess they have some issues making it work.

They might be able to figure out a way around it before launch, or even post-launch with some sort of patch.

EDIT: Oh! I just thought of this. Virtual Console games on the tablet could be good. It's got the resolution to handle pretty much every single older system, and since you can play it anywhere you want, it would make for one hell of a retro-game system.

From what I've read so far, the Wii U controller is not capable of running anything on it's own, so a portable VC is pretty much out of the question. You'd have to be within the vicinity of the Wii U console to use the controller.

so i don't know about all of you but i don't see why only selling tablets with the system would be a bad thing

almost for sure they would be 100 ish plus each sold individually and everyone here would be going "oh wtf thats thievery nintendo's trying to take all my moneys" not to mention anyone who's interested in this system and gets one can carry it with them if they're going to go play games at someone else's house. not to mention almost everything is online now, if the internet setup is good *which it could or could not be, sounds more promising than usual* how many times are you really going to be doing the '4 player party style' gaming that you see in commercials? do you even do that now?

like seriously think about it, how often do you really have even 4 people playing with wiimotes on one tv

so i don't know about all of you but i don't see why only selling tablets with the system would be a bad thing

this wasn't really the part I thought was shitty news

I was referring more to the 'only one tabletroller per console' thing

like seriously think about it, how often do you really have even 4 people playing with wiimotes on one tv

All the time.

I dunno, I kind of understand the possible limitation and why having more than 1 tablet controller might not work, but it is pretty disappointing. There was an interview I saw where some guy was saying that each player could possibly have their own things displayed on their respective controllers to add an element of competition to a game, but maybe this wont be possible.

Oh well.

From what I've read so far, the Wii U controller is not capable of running anything on it's own, so a portable VC is pretty much out of the question. You'd have to be within the vicinity of the Wii U console to use the controller.

What about that othello game they had in the video? That wasn't using the Wii U at all, was it? They never actually said one way or the other, as far as I've been able to find out.

The just isn't enough info right now. It would be a cool idea, but

until I hear otherwise, I'm going to be neutral on it.

Dude, if you guys start dwelling on what's bad about the weu now, you might influence yourself to not buy one.. wait until you HAVE it and you become aware of its shortcomings before you let it start collecting dust like the Wiis did. Wii: Official Dust Collector of the Current Gen Consoles

So in order to decide whether we want to buy something or not, we should buy it first to make sure?

:neutral:

Modus: Yeah I thought about that too. As sturdy as some Nintendo products (but not lately) are, give anything to a kid and he'll manage to break it. I imagine they will not offer replacement Wii U Tablets at launch simply because I imagine producing extras would be difficult to keep up with the initial demand. Screens are not easily mass produced as other simple controller components. Replacement Tablets I'm sure could be ordered through Nintendo customer service and/or made available in retail sometime in the future once demand slows down. I highly doubt Nintendo will force you to buy a whole new Wii U just to get a replacement tablet. At least not forever

Edited by Crowbar Man

Simple solution: don't give kids video games. Problem solved!

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-wii-u-amd-gpu-25gb-discs-no-gamecube-compatibility-203333.phtml

So, it's confirmed to not use GameCube controllers, but it will use all Wii controllers, including the Classic Controller.

Also, 25 GB discs, so lots of storage, which it good.

On another note, Nintendo stock in Japan dropped 5%, the first significant decrease in years. But before anyone starts going all "TIS THE END OF NINTENDO" or "haa haa, Nintys going DOWN", I'd like to point out several things.

The last time their stock dropped this much, it was just after the Wii was announced at E3. Look how well things turned around shortly after. Nintendo stock climbed until it pretty much hit it's peak. It's only been the last few years when it's taken a real price drop, and that was because, I suspect, they were almost done selling Wiis to everyone.

In fact, let's compare each of the three's stock over the last five years, shall we?

MS - 5 Years

Sony - 5 Years

Nintendo - 5 Years

On the left hand side of those charts, you will notice numbers, that increase along the Y axis. That would be stock value in dollars. At the current low, Nintendo stock is worth ~$200, whereas MS and Sony are hovering around the ~$25 mark. That means that even with a loss of 5% (which is actually kind of big, when you think about it), they are still worth almost 10 times of their competition.

Now, it isn't exactly fair to directly compare the three, due to the biggest reason of all: Nintendo is strictly a console manufacturer, whereas MS and Sony have their hands in other things. MS is still primarily an OS publisher, with a video game section as well as a media tablet/phone division, as well as some other stuff. They have lots of things that might influence their stock. Same for Sony. Sony makes lots of electronics, but did you know they also have an advanced chemistry division? Or that they also work with semi-conductors?

While I said it's not fair to compare them in this way, it is a good way to tell which company is doing relative to each other. Nintendo stock can drop a lot more and still be worth more than either of their rivals. This drop doesn't mean things are going bad for Nintendo, and it is not a sign that Nintendo is going to suffer or even die.

There. Now for someone to completely misinterpret what I just said and then we can get into a chart fight!

Edited by The Damned
damn typos...