Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

I'm skipping out on Wii U. I have a lot of systems and games already and my money is better used saving for my child-rearing days instead of paying $300+ for a new system, then $60+ a pop for new games I'll play for 2 months then forget about entirely as the next Diablo III-sized release gets hyped up and released.

Sad truth about the gaming market. Most of the highschool kids who bought into the last generation are growing up and suddenly new consoles and games aren't as easy to afford. I'm not sure what this forebodes, but hopefully it implies that gaming can expand beyond "brown-grey-fps world" as those gamers suddenly have to contend with full time jobs and families, and even children.

Hopefully when the "jock gamer" (or gramer, as one show called them) has children they will suddenly realize what kind of entertainment isn't acceptable for their kids and can broaden their horizons.

Edit: Oh, and that skit was pretty funny. Non-Specific Action Figure needs to be playable in the next smash bros.

nsaf.png

Edit2: Omg I think I found my new sig. Or facebook cover photo.

Edited by Overflow

I'm super-excited for Tuesday's keynote. All the info they gave on Sunday was pretty substantial, which means that there's gotta be an even larger reveal planned. Based on the changes and popularity of the 3DS eShop, I think Nintendo is gearing up for a big focus on digital distribution.

Honestly, Nintendo needs to do a lot more than flashy graphics and weirdo controllers to win back the hardcore audience. XBox Live Arcade has had most of my favorite games this generation. Not because they're digital downloads, or because they are HD graphics, but because they are solid games that rely on actual gameplay rather than gimmicks and one-off features. Nintendo keeps piling on more gimmicks and novelty mechanics instead of solid games.

There were lots of games on the Wii that I enjoyed a lot. Lots of really solid games. I think the main problem the Wii had was that they lost steam for too long after the release, and that made a lot of 'gamers' sell their systems because of the 'collecting dust' factor. But after that drought, lots of really fun games came out. Either way, they need to announce several great first party games, along with 3rd party ports. It seems that's gonna happen, but the question is, to what extent.

I'm thinking for first party: NSMB, and Pikmin 3. Possibly that rumored Starfox that Retro was supposedly working on. For third party titles, they absolutely need footage of the Wii U specific version or the scoffing will commence.

I'm thinking for first party: NSMB, and Pikmin 3. Possibly that rumored Starfox that Retro was supposedly working on. For third party titles, they absolutely need footage of the Wii U specific version or the scoffing will commence.

If Nintendo has any sense, they will have a working Wii U to demonstrate on stage. No one, casual or hardcore, will buy a system if they can't see how it works with their own eyes.

Luckily tomorrow is all about Wii U games. They're even hosting a Software Showcase (which will feature Wii U and 3DS games) on Wednesday so they can devote the entirety of the conference to demonstrate Wii U games. I believe they will also be delivering release dates for already-announced 3DS titles on their online Press Kit. There's another event that will be broadcast on Nintendo's E3 site at 1:30AM (tomorrow night): a 'Wii U developer discussion hosted by Animal Crossing creator Katsuya Eguchi. Should be interesting.

In addition to the first party games, I'm hoping for plenty of third party launch support; titles like GTA V and Skyrim( I know its been out for a while but still) for starters. It'd be nice if hat Mario game they're showing off is a pack-in title.

Edited by ocre

After the minor train car derailment that was the Microsoft's conference and the bland, uninteresting (but at least they didn't drag the whole thing on with lots of charts and having people dance and sing for no reason) Sony show, I fear that this year may end up being boring as hell.

Ubisoft had a couple of good points, and they are "winning" so far.

Nintendo needs to drop some fucking bombs on us if they hope to stand out at all. They need to show us a lot of stuff for the Wii U to make up for the lack of everything else so far.

But I suspect it will be all "look at our late and half-assed online attempt and games we announced last year but still aren't going to be out until 2014 or even later".

Prove me wrong, and I will happily retract everything.

Well we've still got all the new Wii U features they held back on during the Direct stream. And then they've got the software showcase on Wednesday. This is going to be a hell of a year for Nintendo. Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario 3D, Pikmin 3, Shiggy's new IP, Retro's secret project... It's gonna be great!

And I guess then there's NSMB2 and NSMB Mii, but frankly, I don't like NSMB one bit.

They did have working prototypes that people played on the show floor last year.

Yup. Played it last year. I should be there this year but I botched my registration. Whoops.

I definitely liked the Wii-U and it has potential but it's really too wonky for a lot of hardcore gamers but hardcore Nintendo fans will enjoy it to some degree I think. They just need to bring back the magic in their games and provide much better support for the third-party developers.

We'll see how it pans out tomorrow.

Well I mean, considering how their "hardcore" controller is laughably similar to Xbox's controller we might have some of that "hardcore" support.

About the only thing I care about is a new Metroid game, myself >.>

I hope the rumors about a new Metroid Prime are false. I love the trilogy, but the series needs to move on.

I guess I'll find out today!

They played it a bit safe. However

ME 3

Arkham City: Armored Edition

Aliens: COLONIAL MARINES

I think the third party support is through the roof.

The DS didn't get involved its getting its OWN presentation.

Uhh...something that wasnt in the press conference.

*watching* Its called Project P100...

Edited by Hyperion5182

What surprised me the most aside from ME3 was the inclusion of Trine 2: Director's Cut.

I think the third party support is through the roof.

Wasn't Nintendo supposed to have an "unprecedented partnership" with EA?

And I no longer had any doubts about the 3rd party support for the Wii U after hearing the CEO of Ubisoft just piled on praise for it.

Edited by 42

Pretty disappointing presentation. Nintendo Land, SiNG, Just Dance, Wii Fit U, large chunks of time dedicated to explaining how important their latest control gimmick is. Lots of time dedicated to third party games that most of us already own on another console or PC. Nintendo games are the reason I would buy a Nintendo console and this is just looking like more and more of a repeat of the Wii. Retro's mystery project is about the only thing left that could make me get a U early in it's life now I think, though that probably won't even be that early the way it's looking

MS and Sony weren't much better though sooo...pretty decidedly unhyped about consoles at the moment.