Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

This article on Cracked.com pretty much sums up how I feel about this.

I'll definitely be holding off on buying the Wii U Us Them She They It until I see some reviews.

Gods I love Cracked.com, it's gotten me through many a boring night shift :D

John Cheese makes some good points as always. This really is something that's going to have to seen to be judged properly.

This article on Cracked.com pretty much sums up how I feel about this.

I'll definitely be holding off on buying the Wii U Us Them She They It until I see some reviews.

Funny stuff. Some valid points, but I can't agree with the semi-popular opinion that adding a second screen makes the game harder because you have to focus on it occasionally. This is a bullshit argument that was destroyed by the DS years ago when people were saying the exact same thing. They're now using a new asinine made up idea called "immersion breaking". What, you can't remember what was happening on the screen 2 seconds ago because you're now briefly looking at another screen? Or your cup of water? Or your sandwich? Do you also have trouble watching subtitled movies as well?

Sorry for the rant, I just hate these whiny non-reasons people use to be hyper-critical of something they've never used before.

Funny stuff. Some valid points, but I can't agree with the semi-popular opinion that adding a second screen makes the game harder because you have to focus on it occasionally. This is a bullshit argument that was destroyed by the DS years ago when people were saying the exact same thing. They're now using a new asinine made up idea called "immersion breaking". What, you can't remember what was happening on the screen 2 seconds ago because you're now briefly looking at another screen? Or your cup of water? Or your sandwich? Do you also have trouble watching subtitled movies as well?

Sorry for the rant, I just hate these whiny non-reasons people use to be hyper-critical of something they've never used before.

It might indeed be hyper-critical, but you know Nintendo is gonna try to make effective use of the touchscreen controller thing in nearly every application possible, even when it shouldn't be necessary.

Looking at the second screen's interface on a DS would be considerably different than looking at a second screen on a device (distance wise) that is suppose to be controlling the game on that's being displayed on your TV screen while trying to avoid getting raped by enemies or oncoming obstacles. Imagine trying to play Maio Kart online (we all know how intense that can be sometimes when you're in a good match) and you constantly have to glance down at your controller to use weapons and power ups. That can be kinda distracting. I think that's the point he is trying to make.

No doubt, I'm excited about it, but I'm waiting on some hands-on reviews (especially from Zero Punctuation).

I wrote this up to address concerns that Wii U is shaping up to be a marginal upgrade as far as visual specs. Though that's not really much of a concern for myself, I thought I'd share it with you guys and hope it gives you some food for thought:

I'm not sure I'm ready to stick the "not very powerful machine" label on the Wii U just yet.

I'm thinking that the hardware had just barely been finalized maybe a month or less before E3 started, based on devkit rumors. And then in their presentation, Nintendo themselves barely had A) An HD re-engineered Wii game(Pikmin 3) and B) what I can guess is a hastily scrambled together minigame showcase(NintendoLand) which needed to be ready specifically to pad the launch and serve as a taste tester/proof of concept for the GamePad - neither of these seem like candidates to showcase the graphical prowess of the system.

Third party offerings would be an even less likely place to find built-from-the-ground-up Wii U technical marvels. We have seen ports of games built within the tech limits of the PS3 and Xbox360 in Arkham City and Assassin's Creed III. Maybe the teams devoted to these ports aren't putting too much effort into beefing up their visuals but instead are more involved in shoehorning GamePad support onto them. And then with ZombiU, perhaps Ubisoft spent the better part of their year even deciding what this game was going to BE that they didn't put too much emphasis on making it look that great. ZombiU started off as a game with a significantly different direction (Killer Freaks).

Personally, I'm waiting until Retro Studios project or perhaps another First Party offering like the next 3D Mario is shown off before I make any serious judgements of what the machine can do visually. I know that's what this week was EXPECTED to deliver on but these things take time to put together(I've read posts from people who are upset there was no new Zelda for Wii U at the presser); I'm just hoping a year with fluctuating hardware specs was not enough in this case, and the real jawdroppers are still cooking.

Edited by ocre

I wrote this up to address concerns that Wii U is shaping up to be a marginal upgrade as far as visual specs. Though that's not really much of a concern for myself, I thought I'd share it with you guys and hope it gives you some food for thought:

I'm not sure I'm ready to stick the "not very powerful machine" label on the Wii U just yet.

I'm thinking that the hardware had just barely been finalized maybe a month or less before E3 started, based on devkit rumors. And then in their presentation, Nintendo themselves barely had A) An HD re-engineered Wii game(Pikmin 3) and B) what I can guess is a hastily scrambled together minigame showcase(NintendoLand) which needed to be ready specifically to pad the launch and serve as a taste tester/proof of concept for the GamePad - neither of these seem like candidates to showcase the graphical prowess of the system.

Third party offerings would be an even less likely place to find built-from-the-ground-up Wii U technical marvels. We have seen ports of games built within the tech limits of the PS3 and Xbox360 in Arkham City and Assassin's Creed III. Maybe the teams devoted to these ports aren't putting too much effort into beefing up their visuals but instead are more involved in shoehorning GamePad support onto them. And then with ZombiU, perhaps Ubisoft spent the better part of their year even deciding what this game was going to BE that they didn't put too much emphasis on making it look that great. ZombiU started off as a game with a significantly different direction (Killer Freaks).

Personally, I'm waiting until Retro Studios project or perhaps another First Party offering like the next 3D Mario is shown off before I make any serious judgements of what the machine can do visually. I know that's what this week was EXPECTED to deliver on but these things take time to put together(I've read posts from people who are upset there was no new Zelda for Wii U at the presser); I'm just hoping a year with fluctuating hardware specs was not enough in this case, and the real jawdroppers are still cooking.

I disagree Ocre, the Arkham City stuff they showed looked worse to me than my 360 copy I already have. Also the placement of ME3 and B:AC on this system seem almost unnecessary as majority of people have already played them, and no one is going to want to play games that not only came out a year ago by the time the WiiU launches, and that look worse than their previous console generation counter-part. Nintendo really dropped the ball as far as a showing for the WiiU and E3 in general. I will credit them for showing something actually new though. MS and Sony couldnt be bothered.

I dunno, I actually found the graphics for Pikmin 3 to be quite outstanding:

(big images posted for full effect)

WiiU_Pikmin3_3_scrn15_E3.jpg

WiiU_Pikmin3_3_scrn11_E3.jpg

WiiU_Pikmin3_3_scrn14_E3.jpg

Seriously, that apple, orange and strawberry look good enough to eat. I don't think I've ever seen such perfect round objects in a game before; they don't have any jagged polygons.

I actually feel that these have a better graphical impression than most of what I've seen on other platforms. Nintendo really knows how to make a wonderful art style that works to the strengths of the systems, and when a photorealistic miniature world like Pikmin can work with the power of an HD system, you can really see it shine. And this is first generation Wii U stuff! Just imagine how good it will look down the line!

Right. I agree with you that Pikmin 3 looks really good- the fact that this is 'just' a Wii game retooled mid-development adds support to my theory, (it's been in development the longest of any other Wii U title we've seen); this tells me that a 'from-the-ground-up' first party effort (maybe supplemented by an even further realistic art direction than Pikmin) would give us a better understanding of the boundaries this system can push visually. I'm just saying that we haven't seen that yet, so people worried about the Wii U being just as powerful as 6 year old technology should sit tight.

On the other hand, which is possible but highly unlikely, if its only as powerful as a PS3, at least it won't cost too much. lol

As for fumbling in tryin to convince the hardcore crowd that there's compelling software on Nintendo's side of the fence, Brush, of course I agree that ports of already-released titles aren't enough, but it does at the very least diversify the launch lineup. There will be the early ports as there were in previous generation system launches. I was disappointed there weren't more confirmations of soon to be released third party stuff like GTA V(which hasnt really been officiallly confirmed for anything yet) or Resident Evil 6. But I really doubt they weren't for reasons of tech specs. Honestly, I think the prospect of having to tweak already heavily in developement games to support the new controller is perhaps too daunting a task. But coming back to whether Wii U technically supports visually impressive games, Ubisoft had mentioned Watch Dogs as a possibility for Wii U. We'll see.

Edited by ocre

Right. I agree with you that Pikmin 3 looks really good- the fact that this is 'just' a Wii game retooled mid-development adds support to my theory, (it's been in development the longest of any other Wii U title we've seen); this tells me that a 'from-the-ground-up' first party effort (maybe supplemented by an even further realistic art direction than Pikmin) would give us a better understanding of the boundaries this system can push visually. I'm just saying that we haven't seen that yet, so people worried about the Wii U being just as powerful as 6 year old technology should sit tight.

On the other hand, which is possible but highly unlikely, if its only as powerful as a PS3, at least it won't cost too much. lol

As for fumbling in tryin to convince the hardcore crowd that there's compelling software on Nintendo's side of the fence, Brush, of course I agree that ports of already-released titles aren't enough, but it does at the very least diversify the launch lineup. There will be the early ports as there were in previous generation system launches. I was disappointed there weren't more confirmations of soon to be released third party stuff like GTA V(which hasnt really been officiallly confirmed for anything yet) or Resident Evil 6. But I really doubt they weren't for reasons of tech specs. Honestly, I think the prospect of having to tweak already heavily in developement games to support the new controller is perhaps too daunting a task. But coming back to whether Wii U technically supports visually impressive games, Ubisoft had mentioned Watch Dogs as a possibility for Wii U. We'll see.

Interesting question you bring out there. Is it a condition of releasing a Wii U title that developers MUST use the second screen? Sadly, when I think about it, I think the answer would have to be "yes". Nintendo will most likely enforce the second screen because if companies don't use it then it will be seen as a folly/gimmick and Nintendo would look bad. Personally if there was an option for the gamer to use the second screen functionality I'd most likely preference no second screen. Not only would it save the lithium battery, which has been reported to only last 3-5 hours depending on the screens brightness, it would also mean more processing power is devoted to what you see and experience on the TV screen.

For Nintendo to be taken seriously they REALLY need GTAV, I agree there. That would show that they really are growing as a company. In the process to make it a welcome celebration it could be packaged as the GTA Welcome to WiiU Bundle featuring GTA3, VC and SA all with enhanced shadow and lighting effects that were impossible 10 years ago. I'll be honest I'd buy a WiiU for that. But the fact remains that everyone who wants a GTA game will most likely have a PS3 and XBox already. So I don't see it happening. Plus I cacn't imagine Rockstar as developers of serious games look at a console called "Wii U" and WANT to publish anything for that!! lol It could in fact tarnish their reputation seriously.

Edited by dfcentre
Clarity

Just finished reading the Cracked article:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-we-know-nintendo-has-lost-its-mind/

That Rayman video he used is awesome! Shame that you need two people to do it but wow, I may need to invite some friends over to my house which is not a bad thing. Honestly Rayman looks like a game worth buying on the WiiU... when/if I get it.

ZombiU actually has an interesting sense of urgency because of the look-down inventory. As long as the game is play tested I think that's a cool idea. In real life It takes time to choose what you might need, so its kinda cool that while you think about what tools you might need you might be killed. Survival horror could be on the verge of a new progression in fear.

I agree with him about outdated third-party games and social media overload, lol, but I'm sure Nintendo aren't going to force your updates onto random people if you specify you only want your friends to see them, lol.

Plus I cacn't imagine Rockstar as developers of serious games look at a console called "Wii U" and WANT to publish anything for that!! lol It could in fact tarnish their reputation seriously.

This is ridiculous. Rockstar made a Nintendo DS exclusive(for a time it was exclusive) called GTA Chinatown Wars. Perhaps we would've seen GTA IV on the Wii if it had been able to handle it, who knows. There was a huge install base on the Wii, so specs were probably more of a factor than "lol that console is fer babiez". Are you reading many posts of people making fun of Ubisoft for supporting the Wii U with AC3?

Also on the subject of forcing developers to use the GamePad: why would they show off and explain the 'hardcore' Wii U Pro controller if they weren't going to let developers decide to use it. Makes me think that the developers either ARE working on things with smaller teams or are sitting on ther hands until the Wii U is proven to be successful, just like many did with the 3DS, much to its struggle.

Edited by ocre

This is ridiculous. Rockstar made a Nintendo DS exclusive(for a time it was exclusive) called GTA Chinatown Wars. Perhaps we would've seen GTA IV on the Wii if it had been able to handle it, who knows. There was a huge install base on the Wii, so specs were probably more of a factor than "lol that console is fer babiez". Are you reading many posts of people making fun of Ubisoft for supporting the Wii U with AC3?

Also on the subject of forcing developers to use the GamePad: why would they show off and explain the 'hardcore' Wii U Pro controller if they weren't going to let developers decide to use it. Makes me think that the developers either ARE working on things with smaller teams or are sitting on ther hands until the Wii U is proven to be successful, just like many did with the 3DS, much to its struggle.

Yes good point with the Hardcore Pro Controller :) almost forgot about it, haha. Forgive me.

Aside from that though GTA Chinatown Wars isn't from the same team as the real GTA fare. Second tier dev studios really don't scream "support" quite like you might think. But yes I was about to mention that the hardware is a big factor also. On the Gamecube those piddly 1.5 Gig discs couldn't literally fit the game on them. The Wii's piddly hard drive meant crap load times and other major unworkable issues. I have a strong feeling the same will be the case with the Wii U for that same reason. I hope the hardware will be changed before launch to at least allow ONE BIG game to be offloaded to the consoles hard drive... to be safe they should look at current blockbuster games and make their console with a harddrive AT LEAST 1.5 times bigger. Anything less and they do risk people having to wait a long periods for good HD experiences and developers (including Nintendo themselves) just WILL NOT risk producing mammoth blockbusters on it.

Check this out about what Shigsy is thinking about the new Zelda...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/06/e3_2012_miyamoto_talks_zelda_wii_u_experiments

"... and you have some people who prefer sort of those more in-depth experiences." Wow, "some people" and "sort of those more in-depth experiences". I hope it is his lack of English understanding that made him choose these words because they seem like words of a defeated game director who is unable to deliver "those more in-depth experiences". We want Zelda to be a big, epic, fantastical, inspired adventure. Could the gamers who have valued the blockbuster Zelda games of the past be in for a massive disappointment? Maybe Nintendo really can't deliver blockbusters of a standard we expect today. Maybe Nintendo knows now that only young kids are playing their console (and maybe they know that these kid's parents aren't remembering to tell their children to have breaks every hour and so they put reminders into their most recent games to remind them).

The Wii was online. Nintendo have learned exactly who their demographic is and this E3 they are showing exactly what they know is gonna sell to their CURRENT DEMOGRAPHIC of casual child gamers. If they can succeed financially with this model then good luck to them. If we older, more discerning gamers really were the majority they would not be pitter-pattering about like they seem to be. I already have a PS3 and I'm not worried bout not buying the next console. It will be the first home console form Nintendo I'm considering not buying but somehow I think Nintendo already know that.

Oh and let me just mention, PENIS MONSTE (Ed - I mean) Scribblenauts!!!

Edited by dfcentre
Clarity

Yes good point with the Hardcore Pro Controller :) almost forgot about it, haha. Forgive me.

Aside from that though GTA Chinatown Wars isn't from the same team as the real GTA fare. Second tier dev studios really don't scream "support" quite like you might think.

you're pretty dumb

chinatown wars had tons of critical acclaim and when it got ported to psp sold like hotcakes

you're pretty dumb

chinatown wars had tons of critical acclaim and when it got ported to psp sold like hotcakes

Sorry for being "dumb" about this but I bought Chinatown Wars on DS, played it a bit and got bored. One day when I get a a chance I might give it another chance but the atmosphere was just not there the visuals did not engage me in the environment at all... and I usually LOVE top-down adventures. I'm sorry to offend but until their blockbusters are on a Nintendo console I do have a right to the opinion that there are a number of factors at play which prevent Rockstar from developing their blockbusters on Nintendo consoles and those factors seem to be tech, user-base (most GTA enthusiasts will already have an PS3 or XBox) and the annoying casual image Nintendo is projecting onto their home-consoles (that includes the name 'WiiU', yes). Even if you think I'm dumb for having that opinion I don't care. Do you *not* think developers judge all these things before deciding to invest on making ports?

Remember I'm not saying what Nintendo are doing is bad. They've simply made their market and now they want to sleep on it. That's fine. They are smart, they SHOULD be different from the other crowd anyway. I just don't think this is the kind of Nintendo that engages me like it once did. I've been to visit cousins and their kids absolutely love the Wii and NSMB and so if they are happy that's good. It's very fun at parties. I'm just feel apathy toward their current casual formula.