Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

It does look really cool.. and has that weird quirky Nintendo charm i've been craving.

They should make a new Lemmings game for Wii U. I miss that franchise.

Won't happen. Sony owns the rights to Lemmings.

I *think* I heard something about Lemmings being in one of the stages of Playstation All-Stars in the background?

Cause you're a tard.

Darksiders II is the sequel to probably one of the best Zelda clones ever made. Many folks said that the first Darksiders sucked because it borrowed elements from popular games like Ocarina of Time, Portal, and God of War, but to them I say that all of entertainment was built by piggybacking off of the popularity of other things. Honeymooners and the Flintstones, Sgt. Bilko and Top Cat. Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, and Chief Wiggum. The list goes on and on.

The first Darksiders took the successful elements from those games (and from the Bible), put their own spin on it, and framed it with a story that was awesome. It was, from start to finish, a game that kept me interested in what was going to happen next, as well as the lore that it's own universe created. Does the second outing stack up? Let's find out shall we?

So for it's sophomore outing The Darksiders franchise made some changes. Most notably the protagonist this time around is Casey Jones from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, though it seems he dyed his skin blue and now goes by the name of Death. That's right, you control the most feared of the Four Horseman, Death. Though they kinda pacified him. I dunno about you but if I were Death, I would try to command a bit more respect. Everywhere he goes, people are all like “Death you are a faggot and I ain't gonna help you.” Maybe the game Darksiders II: Death is a Jerk to Everyone wouldn't sell well.

They story of the game has our hero trying to redeem his brother War from the previous game for destroying all humanity by restoring all... of... humanity. The story in a word is “lacking.” Perhaps the divine plans go over my mortal head, but that doesn't make much sense to me. Whatever. Death accomplishes this by going on fetch quest after fetch quest for lazy survivors of the apocalypse, some with impressive bosoms, others with impressive beards. However all of the impressive Bearded Boobs in the world cannot makeup for our next subject, the game play.

When talking about the meat and potatoes of the game, how does it play? Once again it pulls from Zelda and God of War for the action moments and puzzle solving, but this time instead of being linear and well paced like it's predecessor, the devs decided they wanted to emulate Skyrim for it's open ended size and sandbox environment, Assassin's Creed for traversing said huge map, and perhaps most excruciatingly of all, Diablo 3 for it's dungeon crawling and loot aspect. They did add more RPG elements which I liked, but they forgot that the grind needs to be quick enough to where you don't really notice it takes 2 hours of game play to make level 8. I will say this again. IT TOOK 2 HOURS TO GET LEVEL 8. 45 minutes is about how long I am willing to grind before I before I become irate. I will say that combat is pretty fluid, save for the Mass Effect quick select menu, which had me often picking Reaper Form instead of what I actually needed.

Being an action game that is boring is a sign it not being a good action game. Because it emulates the grind fest that Diablo, and several other MMO's are, it takes you out of the moment. An action game that should be 15 hours or so, because of grind and script padding ends up taking 40+ hours on the hardest difficulty. Normally one would point out that because it pulls inspiration from Skyrim that this sort of thing is OK. However this is not the case. Skyrim's environments are lush, and interesting to look at. Most of Darksiders II outdoor environments are gray, dirty and devoid of interesting. The dungeons have their moments of being impressive, but that can't make up for the rest of the game.

This game would’ve benefited from being linear like it's older brother. It could've streamlined the entire game by eliminating it's tedious, and I mean really tedious, quests and saved the user about 15 hours. The ideas and mechanics it pull from; when the devs did it right, they did it so very right. However when they did it wrong, which is the case for the scope, pacing, loot grinding, menus, quests, and a myriad of other things, they could not have gotten it more wrong. I will not fault them for their trying of new things, which is a rarity in this day and age.

So Bottom Line: Is it worth recommending? That would be a resounding “No.” It is rife with problems that can't just be overlooked. Pacing is something that can kill a game, and this one struggles with it. Having fetch quest after fetch quest and some times fetch quests within fetch quests drags the game and artificially lengthens it. If you enjoy grinding, there are better games out there to do it with. If you enjoy action games, there are better games out there. And if you enjoy Darksiders, you may want to play it, but story is so lame you just may give up the series entirely.

4f5c9d02c996bbd247396d39dfaf53b24890baee_full.jpg

That's kind of sad to hear. I really liked the first Darksiders, so I'll probably give the second game a try, but at least now I know not to have super high expectations.

I preordered the Deluxe Wii U the other day and I was actually the first person to preorder at the Best Buy. I'm hoping to get NSMBU with it, and Pikmin if it's a launch title. I'm looking forward to adding you all when I get it!

Am I the only one who liked Red Steel?

Nope, I actually quite enjoyed that game, but I got it in like 2009 or so for $5 new. It certainly wasn't the game it was hyped up to be, but for what it was, it was fun and enjoyable. I think people are just afraid that Zombi U (do you fight Zombiis in it? lol) won't live up to the hype. At this point I think it's a given that the game will be good, but maybe not as good as people are hoping.

It certainly wasn't the game it was hyped up to be, but for what it was, it was fun and enjoyable. I think people are just afraid that Zombi U (do you fight Zombiis in it? lol) won't live up to the hype. At this point I think it's a given that the game will be good, but maybe not as good as people are hoping.

This, basically. It's not like I hated Red Steel I was just... disappointed.