Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Looking at that thing makes me want to cry. It's extremely reminiscent of the PS2 Slim unlike the previous PS3 revision, and yet still the system doesn't have anywhere near as close a library as great as the PS2.

Also at this point, I think it's pretty hard to walk into a store or browse an online retailer that isn't out of stock of at least the deluxe Wii U model, so I think it's safe to say that most of if not all of this years Wii U stock is going to sell regardless of new system refreshes by either Sony or Microsoft

Edited by Malaki-LEGEND.sys

Sony thinks making things prettier is a strong enough selling point on its own.

And they're partly right because I bought a Go and loved that thing. Can't trade in used games? Eh ok, I don't have to listen to the UMD screaming on windup, or swap anything out.

Well if you buy the games on PSN instead of in the store you won't have a problem, except hard drive space. As far as I can tell anyway, I don't have a Go or any experience buying psp games on psn. But I did see 'em on there!

And making something slightly prettier isn't a good enough selling point? Look at the iPhone 5!

Well if you buy the games on PSN instead of in the store you won't have a problem, except hard drive space. As far as I can tell anyway, I don't have a Go or any experience buying psp games on psn. But I did see 'em on there!

And making something slightly prettier isn't a good enough selling point? Look at the iPhone 5!

Well Apple is a cultural juggernaut, for better or worse.

Sony thinks they are. They have wet dreams about it.

Reflecting a little bit, I'm a little disappointed that Nintendo opted once more for a disc-loader system instead of something like a top-loader (like the gamecube).

Disc-loading systems are usually prone to more breaks, as well as wear and tear, than a top-loading system. I know it's for aesthetic reasons (to make the Wii U look more compact and functional), but sometimes function is better than form.

It's a minor point, but since I'm a bit familiar with Wii disc-drive failures from my brother and other friends (and we take good care of our games and systems), I suspect that these early-run models will be much more prone to breakdown than later-run models, much like the Wii.

I suspect that these early-run models will be much more prone to breakdown than later-run models, much like the Wii.

Well, technically this is true for any electronic device.

Although maybe a different loading mechanism would be better for protecting disks, I can already hear the outcry from Nintendo haters that using anything other than a disc-loader is old and archaic and the Wii U should be banned etc

Well, technically this is true for any electronic device.

Although maybe a different loading mechanism would be better for protecting disks, I can already hear the outcry from Nintendo haters that using anything other than a disc-loader is old and archaic and the Wii U should be banned etc

I give no shits how a system loads it discs.

Sony thinks making things prettier is a strong enough selling point on its own.

If only this were one of those times. The ribbed grill makes it look quite hideous. I always thought it looked reminiscent of an early generation system that might incorporate wood-grain trim. I much prefer the first PS3 "Slim". Also, making the system more expensive. lol

Also Bran: you're right this 'slim-slim' system has been known about for quite a while now. An image was even leaked months ago. Seems like Sony can't keep a secret worth a damn.

@Brushfire's following post: that seems to be their approach with their handheld machine too!

Anyway, how about that Wii U? :)

Edited by ocre

Who designed the Game Boy Micro again?

Game Boy Micro actually has a draw, being incredibly small and rechargeable. It's a great little pocket game device. Gameboy SP was a lot larger and took up more pocket room. You'd have this fat bulge in your pocket.

A slimmer PS3 doesn't really do anything other than what a PS3 does. The slimness is purely aesthetic since a console sits by the TV, not around in your pocket.

Game Boy Micro actually has a draw, being incredibly small and rechargeable. It's a great little pocket game device. Gameboy SP was a lot larger and took up more pocket room. You'd have this fat bulge in your pocket.

A slimmer PS3 doesn't really do anything other than what a PS3 does. The slimness is purely aesthetic since a console sits by the TV, not around in your pocket.

Imma stuff it in my pants. The revolution has begun!

http://www.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Trivia

Assuming accurate sources, 3-5 hours for a single charge of the tablet is shorter than I'd hoped. I bet for a lot of people the tablet will be mostly plugged in while they play. On the bright side, the range the tablet can be from the console is pretty decent.

That is kinda sucky. Though My 3DS is supposed to get that an it actually gets around 7 hours without the 3D on.

That is kinda sucky. Though My 3DS is supposed to get that an it actually gets around 7 hours without the 3D on.

Yeah I typically get some good play out of my 3DS longer than estimated.

I imagine the tablet's screen will have something like 'brightness' on it that I can tweak to give it more life much like the DS and 3DS did.

Does anyone have an idea on a £ cost estimate for the Wii-U

Worrying about the Wii U GAMEPAD (if you think it's a tablet you might as well call the DS a tablet) is a little silly considering it's blooming rechargable and you can use it while you charge it(since you can just plug the charger into controller itself or into the charging cradle,, like the 3DS). It's not like the unit is a portable device usable on the go.

Worrying about the Wii U GAMEPAD (if you think it's a tablet you might as well call the DS a tablet) is a little silly considering it's blooming rechargable and you can use it while you charge it(since you can just plug the charger into controller itself or into the charging cradle,, like the 3DS). It's not like the unit is a portable device usable on the go.

It's probably best not to get caught up with the labels; calling it a tablet doesn't speak to its function as much as the form. "Tablet" or "gamepad" refers to the same thing, and I doubt anyone here is using the term otherwise.

While you're right that it's not a huge deal that it may not carry a lengthy charge, it is inconvenient, even if mildly so, because the controller will become teathered to something for some, if not most, of its use and the charger's cable will inevitably be a nuisance.