Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

They gave out condoms for Wii remotes because it was expensive HD TVs being broken(even with the replacement strap, I guess people were still not wearing them) , not the controllers themselves. Those things are made of indestructible Nintendium.

That said, this was brought up earlier in the thread and someone was quick to post an image of that Wii U GamePad cover shaped that that Scribblenauts guy's hat. Not sure we'll see much in the way of officially condoned GamePad condoms.

Edited by ocre

They gave out condoms for Wii remotes because it was expensive HD TVs being broken(even with the replacement strap, I guess people were still not wearing them) , not the controllers themselves. Those things are made of indestructible Nintendium.

That said, this was brought up earlier in the thread and someone was quick to post an image of that Wii U GamePad cover shaped that that Scribblenauts guy's hat. Not sure we'll see much in the way of officially condoned GamePad condoms.

Oh god that is hideous.

With their sequel consoles on the horizon, the WiiU's hardware is nothing to get excited about. Especially when the PC I already own beats the snot out of its hardware. And it is more than a year old.

Well we don't know really how much more powerful the PS4 / Xbox Whatever will be. I have a funny feeling "small step up" will be the route taken this next gen by all the big players. We shall see.

And it is still "exciting" if you want to see Nintendo's games on newer hardware and in a resolution finally beyond 480p (officially). Nintendo's games wont be on PS4 / Xbox whatever

In the meantime until those next gen consoles, 3rd party multiplatform games should still look better than 360/PS3, in theory at least. Not a reason to get one mind you, but if you have one for on reason or another *shrugs*

PCs will always be more powerful than consoles (including PS4 / Xbox whatever), so irrelevant to mention it.

someone was quick to post an image of that Wii U GamePad cover

Whoever that was must of been a jerk.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Okay so Wii U's final launch lineup was unveiled earlier and includes 23 games that appeal to a wide range of tastes. I for one will be getting NSMBU and ZombiU.

Notably absent is Rayman Legends, which I had reserved and expected on day 1. It was a wise move to distance itself from Mario, to be honest, so I don't mind waiting.

No one should be surprised that Pikmin 3 isn't there on day 1. That was never going to happen.

Pretty solid release slate, I say.

Edited by ocre

Well we don't know really how much more powerful the PS4 / Xbox Whatever will be. I have a funny feeling "small step up" will be the route taken this next gen by all the big players. We shall see.

This remains to be seen and of course is still speculation, however that doesn't change that nintendo's "Small step up" is something that was available to console gamers 6 years ago.

And it is still "exciting" if you want to see Nintendo's games on newer hardware and in a resolution finally beyond 480p (officially). Nintendo's games wont be on PS4 / Xbox whatever

The ability to see a game that wasn't designed for an HD environment in HD can be disastrous. Also up-scaling is availible on every game that is on 360 and PS3, as none of the games resolutions run in true 1080 before up-scaling. So again 6 years.

In the meantime until those next gen consoles, 3rd party multiplatform games should still look better than 360/PS3, in theory at least. Not a reason to get one mind you, but if you have one for on reason or another *shrugs*

The games I have seen on the WiiU look exactly like 360 and PS3 games that are already available.

PCs will always be more powerful than consoles (including PS4 / Xbox whatever), so irrelevant to mention it.

Thank you for proving my point.

Okay so Wii U's final launch lineup was unveiled earlier and includes 23 games that appeal to a wide range of tastes. I for one will be getting NSMBU and ZombiU.

He is my thoughts on the lineup in order.

Don't Care, Already Played It, Don't Care, Don't Care, REALLY Don't Care, Not Into Toys, Don't Care, Was Actually Going To Care, Except that it is the game show not the racing game and it is already out on Wii, I do care, Already played it, Don't Care, Don't Care, REALLY Don't Care, Already Played, Already Played, Already Played, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care.

Edited by Brushfire

Mostly sequels and play-it-safes.

once again, Nintendo rolls out a completely different game setup that is essentially never-before-seen and no one is really wanting to risk anything with the WiiU, so playing it safe seems like a good idea as far as developers are concerned.

For kids.

It's possible developers are looking at WiiU as a console with similar targeting as the Wii turned out to be, and are making games as such (more family/kid oriented)

aaand it's also a bit of playing-it-safe as well.

a bunch of grumpy stuff

*pours a pitcher full of sunshine into your glass half-empty to make your glass half-full. ^_^

I can't spare the resources for it yet, but I'll admit it my initial skepticism has been gently assuaged. We'll see if it's worn down in 2½ years after a price drop or when Nintendo buys Rare®. Perhaps I'll get ths system as a gift like my Wii!.

Blanket response to general "Nintendo is too kiddy" comments:

So what?

The ability to see a game that wasn't designed for an HD environment in HD can be disastrous.

Why would Nintendo (or any company developing a game for Wii U) not design a game for HD on their HD console? (Though your statement makes little sense, I sometimes play old PC games and console (3D) games via emu in 1080p so *shrug*)

Also up-scaling is availible on every game that is on 360 and PS3, as none of the games resolutions run in true 1080 before up-scaling. So again 6 years.

Another statement that makes little sense to bring up. Upscaling is not native resolution, as you even state. It doesn't really make games look better, its to counter act HDTV's having bad internal scaling from distorting the image.

And what does 360/PS3 or PS4/720 or even PC have to do with Nintendo's games?

The games I have seen on the WiiU look exactly like 360 and PS3 games that are already available.

I'll wait for a digital foundry comparison. Unless you have a Wii U in your hands right now to do a side by side comparison, its kinda hard to tell via internets compressions and shakey cams. Also, launch games are hardly anything but quick ports anyways, im talking about more refined ports later

Thank you for proving my point.

Kinda confused how i proved your point, since it was irrelevant

Blanket response to general "Nintendo is too kiddy" comments:

So what?

Generally I found only the immature (or actual children) turning away from games just because they aren't covered in blood. But the launch isn't without its list of M-rated games either way.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Are we still discussing graphics? What is this, 2003? Games these days, for the most part, look great. And more polygons cost more. If gaming stays on the bleeding edge then it becomes ridiculously risky and unaffordable for devs to contribute. What the hell do people even want out of graphics nowadays anyway? To see each blade of grass, pore on skin, and scratch on rock? Christ, it's like the trolls of 4chan got out of their cage.

So, yeah. I'm fine with graphics staying in stasis for the next five or even ten years, because the graphics of today are perfectly capable of doing what they're meant to do.

Why would Nintendo (or any company developing a game for Wii U) not design a game for HD on their HD console? (Though your statement makes little sense, I sometimes play old PC games and console (3D) games via emu in 1080p so *shrug*)

Because games that are dev'd on the 360 or PS3 dont run in 1080p without scaling. Nintendo is going to be no different. All of it's games will actually be in a lower res upscaled to HD. WiiU is only doing what the bigger kids on the block did 6 years ago.

Another statement that makes little sense to bring up. Upscaling is not native resolution, as you even state. It doesn't really make games look better, its to counter act HDTV's having bad internal scaling from distorting the image.

Upscaling can and does make a game look better. I have had several moments on my PC where the desktop puts out 1080P, but a game I am playing is in a default low res. The game looks like shit. Perhaps this is a bad example but the same basic concept applies. It artificially make a console game look better.

And what does 360/PS3 or PS4/720 or even PC have to do with Nintendo's games?

Everything actually. Look at the launch lineup. There are 2 Nintendo games that are launching with the system. 2. Out of 23, there are 2. That means that the majority of these games will be cross platform and will be the EXACT SAME GAME you get on a different system that is already out and you have no reason to buy a new console to play.

I'll wait for a digital foundry comparison. Unless you have a Wii U in your hands right now to do a side by side comparison, its kinda hard to tell via internets compressions and shakey cams. Also, launch games are hardly anything but quick ports anyways, im talking about more refined ports later

I'll admit, I don't have much to go on outside of the footy that they have playing at my local gamestamp. However first impresions are usually right. I have seen the video over and over for Black Ops 2 and it looks like same damn game. NSMBU looks exactly like NSMB2.

Kinda confused how i proved your point, since it was irrelevant

You acknowledge that PC is superior, so why do you get excited for an inferior product?

Generally I found only the immature (or actual children) turning away from games just because they aren't covered in blood. But the launch isn't without its list of M-rated games either way.

I personally dont care if a game is perceived as for children (Lego Batman 2 is a brilliant game), so you get any arguments here.

@Mr. Pizza: Stay off my lawn, I just seeded.

-...the majority of these games will be cross platform and will be the EXACT SAME GAME you get on a different system that is already out and you have no reason to buy a new console to play.

-I'll admit, I don't have much to go on outside of the footy that they have playing at my local gamestamp. However first impresions are usually right. I have seen the video over and over for Black Ops 2 and it looks like same damn game. NSMBU looks like NSMBWii.

To the first point, I say: Because no new system has ever gotten a port of a game from the previous generation, right?

The Wii U can do things the current generation systems can't do, period. It's not surprising that we haven't seen what those things are since devs will need to get used to making games from the ground up on Wii U. If most of the games coming out at launch are just ports of current gen stuff, then obviously the developers aren't utilizing the systems full potential yet.

And the reason Nintendo is launching with an admittedly not very technically impressive Mario game is because: a) NSMB games sell far better (and sell longer) than any 3D Mario games. B) NSMB games are easier to make than full 3D (and now advanced HD) Mario platformers(which are still going to be coming out as true entries in the main series). It makes a lot of business sense, regardless if you personally don't find it compelling.

Edited by ocre

PC specs can be better than consoles but that doesn't necessarily make them better for playing games. Consoles have all their hardware built to play games so specs aren't the most important thing.

The launch line-up is fine. I mean, its not like you'll own your console for only 3 months. Games will come out for 5-6 years... Not having 100 amazing games out right now is natural and nobody plays that many games that fast (and if someone does... better get a new hobby!).

The funny thing will be when Microsoft and Sony start using the tablet technology and all the people that bash the Wii U will love it.

ocre, let me know how nsmbu plays. The Wii version took me back to Mario 3. Loved it.

I got to play some NSMBU at GS Expo and a Wii U Experience event and I can tell you the game plays like all the other NSMB games, which is to say that it's quite fun. Mario feels heavy and controls as responsive as always. Thematically and aesthetically, this new game takes a lot of influence from Super Mario World, such as the fully connected map screen and returning enemies like Tordpedo Ted. The game looks great! Definitely look up a trailer video on YouTube. I know I was still hungry for more 2D Mario after beating NSMB 2 last month. This should do quite nicely while I wait for Pikmin 3!

@jnWake: Funny how some people expect a full library of amazing titles right on day 1 isn't it. It surprised me how many people expected a full HD Zelda game so (relatively) hot off of Skyward Sword's release.

Edited by ocre

To the first point, I say: Because no new system has ever gotten a port of a game from the previous generation, right?

The Wii U can do things the current generation systems can't do, period. It's not surprising that we haven't seen what those things are since devs will need to get used to making games from the ground up on Wii U. If most of the games coming out at launch are just ports of current gen stuff, then obviously the developers aren't utilizing the systems full potential yet.

And the reason Nintendo is launching with an admittedly not very technically impressive Mario game is because: a) NSMB games sell far better (and sell longer) than any 3D Mario games. B) NSMB games are easier to make than full 3D (and now advanced HD) Mario platformers(which are still going to be coming out as true entries in the main series). It makes a lot of business sense, regardless if you personally don't find it compelling.

It does make a lot of sense from a business standpoint. Sucker a bunch of stupid people into buying a new gimmicky system. What's gonna happen is that a year down the line, they are gonna start coming in droves to sell it back to Gamestamp. It'll be the Wii all over again, only it will take half as long for everyone to wisen up.

Because games that are dev'd on the 360 or PS3 dont run in 1080p without scaling. Nintendo is going to be no different. All of it's games will actually be in a lower res upscaled to HD. WiiU is only doing what the bigger kids on the block did 6 years ago.

1) Repeat, why would Nintendo themselves dev a game for 360/PS3? Also, how do you know specifically how Nintendo is going to program their games?

2) For cross platform games: The reason some PS3/360 games do not run at full 720p or higher is because the consoles cannot handle it without dropping even more frames then they do already. If the Wii U can (due to higher memory and higher end GPU) why would they not up the resolution? Even if they choose not to up the resolution, the games would run at higher / steady framerate on more powerful hardware.

FYI: There are some games on PS3/360 run natively 720p/1080p on the consoles, usually your lower end affairs. Its the higher end games that have issues, draw at sub 720p and upscale to 1080p. Nintendo's style of games should probably not have issues running at 720p if not full 1080p, but again we'll see what Digital Foundry finds with their pixel counters.

Upscaling can and does make a game look better. I have had several moments on my PC where the desktop puts out 1080P, but a game I am playing is in a default low res. The game looks like shit. Perhaps this is a bad example but the same basic concept applies. It artificially make a console game look better.

No upscaling doesn't technically make things look better, it just sharpens the image for HDTVs. This entire statement makes no sense. Why would a dekstop PC upscale to 1080P? Most PC games you can select to run at 1080p natively no problem. You'll have to give me this bizzare example which yourself says looks bad but makes things look better. somehow.

Everything actually. Look at the launch lineup. There are 2 Nintendo games that are launching with the system. 2. Out of 23, there are 2. That means that the majority of these games will be cross platform and will be the EXACT SAME GAME you get on a different system that is already out and you have no reason to buy a new console to play.

Because in the entire history of Nintendo consoles, Nintendo has only released games at launch, and nothing after. /s

I'm not talking about buying the console to play cross platform games. I just mentioned, if you already HAD the console, cross platform games could possibly have different features (See Tekken Tag 2 Wii U), maybe look better in the future (better GPU, more RAM, etc) to enjoy on your Wii U over your 360/PS3.

You acknowledge that PC is superior, so why do you get excited for an inferior product?

Because PC wont play Nintendo's games, or any Wii U exclusive game.

If you enter PC into the mix, and only talk about raw power, all consoles (including PS3/360/PS4/720/etc) wouldn't be "worth getting excited over", not just the Wii U. Its completely irrelevant.

I repeat:

The Wii U allows us to see Nintendo's games with modern graphics and in HD. That should excite anybody interested in Nintendo's games.

Outside of that the Wii U offers a unique controller. That should excite anybody interested in games that take advantage of that.

Edited by Crowbar Man

That's hardly fair, PC's can be superior if you are willing to shell out money like enemies in a Metal Slug game and build it from the ground up. Honestly PC gaming can just get pretentious because it can be limitless but I'm perfectly fine with a system that will play games I like and not require me to take out a bank loan to get it.

It does make a lot of sense from a business standpoint. Sucker a bunch of stupid people into buying a new gimmicky system. What's gonna happen is that a year down the line, they are gonna start coming in droves to sell it back to Gamestamp. It'll be the Wii all over again, only it will take half as long for everyone to wisen up.

for as long as you've been here, i'm surprised you're going so troll on this. i have a wii and i've got 15 games (plus a few i'm still looking to buy) and all 15 of them were awesome. i'm hard pressed to find a way that you can turn that into an unsuccessful system. if you need to have 20-30+ games per system for it to be 'worth it' then you are by far an outlier, and really shouldn't be catered to in the first place.

i guess most of the people here are pretty stupid by the way, seeing that 36 out of the 50 top most remixed games were published on a nintendo system, the majority of them exclusively. what sheep we all are.

also, to your comment on nsmU vs nsmwii... mario 3 looks like super mario world. halo 2 looks like halo 3. final fantasy 3 looks like final fantasy 4. ocarina of time looks like majora's mask. too bad all of them are regularly referenced as some of the best games of all time.

He is my thoughts on the lineup in order.

Don't Care, Already Played It, Don't Care, Don't Care, REALLY Don't Care, Not Into Toys, Don't Care, Was Actually Going To Care, Except that it is the game show not the racing game and it is already out on Wii, I do care, Already played it, Don't Care, Don't Care, REALLY Don't Care, Already Played, Already Played, Already Played, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care.

here is everyone else's thoughts on your thoughts, in order.

don't care

Edited by The Derrit