Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

also, to your comment on nsmU vs nsmwii... mario 3 looks like super mario world. halo 2 looks like halo 3. final fantasy 3 looks like final fantasy 4. ocarina of time looks like majora's mask. too bad all of them are regularly referenced as some of the best games of all time.

Perhaps he just wants Mario to get more realistic graphics? Cause that's what all the cool kids want.

mario.jpg

I'm sure the kids will love it

We have to remember that there hasn't been any real HD this generation.

Only fake HD, because most games just run 800x600 upscaled to look like shit and good luck getting 60fps with any consistency.

Partly I'm excited because this boost up in power means we can finally stop having games look like they're 7 years old and running on tired hardware.

Partly I'm excited because this boost up in power means we can finally stop having games look like they're 7 years old and running on tired hardware.

To be fair games like Mario Galaxy and MP9 upscaled pretty darn well. In the hands of the right developer, it was basically HD + jaggies. The aliasing was really bad, I'll give you that.

Wii displays at 480p max. Not HD by any imagination. No AA to hide it either

That said, Mario Galaxy was aesthetically pleasing enough that it didn't matter.

If the Wii handles Mario Galaxy at 480p, why Brushfire doesn't believe a new Mario game can run at at least 720p on the Wii U is beyond me.

And if we're talking pure resolution, he needs glasses, because NSMB2 on the 3DS runs at 400×240, worse than NSMB Wii's 480p. Why he beleives NSMB Wii U doesn't look any better, at a pure resolution standpoint, running at 720p I'm not sure.

Aesthetically though, they are are pretty identical. Not a huge fan of the NSMB series myself from an aesthetics (or music) standpoint.

EDIT: So far what most people have found is most of the launch games are in fact running in 720p native

Edited by Crowbar Man

Perhaps he just wants Mario to get more realistic graphics? Cause that's what all the cool kids want.

mario.jpg

I would love this. I had hoped that Mario games would go in this direction for a long time. It won't ever happen but I would be very happy if Nintendo would take the plumber in this direction. Not to say I don't enjoy recent Mario games but c'mon. It would be creepy and intriguing, and simply awesome. They have the ability to do it now, so why not make something a bit darker and mystifying. Nintendo needs to innovate its own property more than anything.

Edited by megadave

I actually just want a sequel to the Super Mario Bros. movie with Bob Hoskins.

I've been waiting for the resolution to that cliffhanger for over a decade now.

@Crowbar - I agree - the only NSMB game thus far that has been worth playing has been Wii, which I felt has some pretty serious problems (does anyone even remember just how mediocre the first NSMB DS was?). I'm more interested in a 3D platformer at this point - and I love 2D platformers!

Also, all three current-gen consoles cannot do true HD, but that's not how they're marketed. Maybe by this coming gen we won't need to worry about aliasing that looks like crap, and ugly upscaled picture quality and textures. But that's a big maybe. I'm not a graphics-monger in any sense, but when all of these games advertise themselves as cutting-edge HD and they're in reality running off Windows XP hardware, it's hard not to suppress a smirk.

I'm definitely wanting 3d this time as well. And regardless of the visual style I want a strong deviation from other games. Galaxy 1 and 2 were great, but it's time to turn the series on its head. A new Mother / Earthbound game or hell just a collection of Mother 1,2, and 3 would be a day one sell for me. Oh, and frikking Fire Emblem. Market that shit Nintendo. The Wii entry was great and nobody knew about it.

Mario Bros movie sequel? Sure. Bob's a little old though. But I would see it.

The Wii sold out for, like, three years straight.

And then sales dropped off sharply cause no one wanted theirs anymore cause it had at best 15 worthy games for it.

1) Repeat, why would Nintendo themselves dev a game for 360/PS3? Also, how do you know specifically how Nintendo is going to program their games?

2) For cross platform games: The reason some PS3/360 games do not run at full 720p or higher is because the consoles cannot handle it without dropping even more frames then they do already. If the Wii U can (due to higher memory and higher end GPU) why would they not up the resolution? Even if they choose not to up the resolution, the games would run at higher / steady framerate on more powerful hardware.

FYI: There are some games on PS3/360 run natively 720p/1080p on the consoles, usually your lower end affairs. Its the higher end games that have issues, draw at sub 720p and upscale to 1080p. Nintendo's style of games should probably not have issues running at 720p if not full 1080p, but again we'll see what Digital Foundry finds with their pixel counters.

No upscaling doesn't technically make things look better, it just sharpens the image for HDTVs. This entire statement makes no sense. Why would a dekstop PC upscale to 1080P? Most PC games you can select to run at 1080p natively no problem. You'll have to give me this bizzare example which yourself says looks bad but makes things look better. somehow.

Because in the entire history of Nintendo consoles, Nintendo has only released games at launch, and nothing after. /s

I'm not talking about buying the console to play cross platform games. I just mentioned, if you already HAD the console, cross platform games could possibly have different features (See Tekken Tag 2 Wii U), maybe look better in the future (better GPU, more RAM, etc) to enjoy on your Wii U over your 360/PS3.

Because PC wont play Nintendo's games, or any Wii U exclusive game.

If you enter PC into the mix, and only talk about raw power, all consoles (including PS3/360/PS4/720/etc) wouldn't be "worth getting excited over", not just the Wii U. Its completely irrelevant.

I repeat:

The Wii U allows us to see Nintendo's games with modern graphics and in HD. That should excite anybody interested in Nintendo's games.

Outside of that the Wii U offers a unique controller. That should excite anybody interested in games that take advantage of that.

A PC actually allows people to view Nintendo games in 1080P, thanks to the miracle of Emulation. So PC beat Nintendo to it. Go figure.

That's hardly fair, PC's can be superior if you are willing to shell out money like enemies in a Metal Slug game and build it from the ground up. Honestly PC gaming can just get pretentious because it can be limitless but I'm perfectly fine with a system that will play games I like and not require me to take out a bank loan to get it.

You can build a good PC for the cost of a new 360 or PS3, you just have to be informed and frugal.

for as long as you've been here, i'm surprised you're going so troll on this. i have a wii and i've got 15 games (plus a few i'm still looking to buy) and all 15 of them were awesome. i'm hard pressed to find a way that you can turn that into an unsuccessful system. if you need to have 20-30+ games per system for it to be 'worth it' then you are by far an outlier, and really shouldn't be catered to in the first place.

i guess most of the people here are pretty stupid by the way, seeing that 36 out of the 50 top most remixed games were published on a nintendo system, the majority of them exclusively. what sheep we all are.

also, to your comment on nsmU vs nsmwii... mario 3 looks like super mario world. halo 2 looks like halo 3. final fantasy 3 looks like final fantasy 4. ocarina of time looks like majora's mask. too bad all of them are regularly referenced as some of the best games of all time.

here is everyone else's thoughts on your thoughts, in order.

don't care

So when I give an opinion it's trolling. I am not here offering my two cents to solicit fanboy rage. Unless that is what is happening with you, which seems the case as you are raging pretty hard. If the mood of the thread is "Love the WiiU but if you dont than you are a troll," then wow have you got your priorities messed up.

To your argument that everything looks the same. Yeah they do. Hoever FF3 and FF4 are completely different games as they tried something new via the battle system. Halo 2 and 3 are the same game no matter how you slice it. Mario games are the same no matter how you slice them. Adding on new block and one new powerup is not a substantial enough change to warrant excitement.

That being said sometimes change is bad. Hotel Mario etc.

I want a Mario that tries something new beyond it's safe zone. Nintendo can do it. The Prime Trilogy is proof their IP's can "Grow up"

We have to remember that there hasn't been any real HD this generation.

Only fake HD, because most games just run 800x600 upscaled to look like shit and good luck getting 60fps with any consistency.

I've been saying that but Crowbar seems to not get it.

To be fair games like Mario Galaxy and MP9 upscaled pretty darn well. In the hands of the right developer, it was basically HD + jaggies. The aliasing was really bad, I'll give you that.

I agree, but it was all done through PC emulation.

Wii displays at 480p max. Not HD by any imagination. No AA to hide it either

That said, Mario Galaxy was aesthetically pleasing enough that it didn't matter.

If the Wii handles Mario Galaxy at 480p, why Brushfire doesn't believe a new Mario game can run at at least 720p on the Wii U is beyond me.

And if we're talking pure resolution, he needs glasses, because NSMB2 on the 3DS runs at 400×240, worse than NSMB Wii's 480p. Why he beleives NSMB Wii U doesn't look any better, at a pure resolution standpoint, running at 720p I'm not sure.

Aesthetically though, they are are pretty identical. Not a huge fan of the NSMB series myself from an aesthetics (or music) standpoint.

EDIT: So far what most people have found is most of the launch games are in fact running in 720p native

I need you to cite resources please.

You're looking in the wrong place for the 'growing up'(read: evolution) of the Mario franchise if you're looking at the NSMB series. The main series (the latest entries of which being the Galaxy games) which typically gets 1 entry per console is where Nintendo 'grows' the IP.

Now if by wanting Nintendo to 'grow Mario up' you mean adding gore or hyper realism and sexual innuendo, you're kind of losing the plot.

That said, it's a little dumb to voice an inflammatory opinion(inflammatory in its juvenilia) versus real sales data, business logic and the notion that people above age 18 can enjoy a game that doesn't utilize bleeding edge tech and then act like you're being the sensible one. I dont think anyone is asking you to 'love the Wii U or GTFO', just that you find a way to back up your criticism with something a little more solid than "there's multiplatform games at launch so the system must only be as capable as 6 year old tech" or "PC games blow consoles out of the water, Wii U is doomed."

Edited by ocre

I don't understand why people get all heated up about consoles. If you don't like it then don't buy it. Don't like it? That's fine. You don't even have to look at one if you don't want to.

Some things are difficult to avoid, like bad music, bad food, bad air, traffic, bills, etc.. and they are worth complaining about.

Going out of your way to bash (not criticize, but bash by ignoring anything positive about) a game console is pointless because you can avoid it by simply not going to the store, buying one, and then hooking it up to the TV at your house. Sure, it's okay to criticize a console, especially if you're a fan of the console maker and would like to see improvements. But if you hate Nintendo, and don't ever plan on buying anything they make, then why do you give a crap? *

Imagine that you are in a gym full of people lifting weights. A guy comes in and says "Hey. Weightlifting is for fags. You should all get in a canoe instead!" Everybody looks at the guy and thinks "Dude. If that guy loves canoeing so much then why isn't he at the canoeing center like, on a river somewhere? I'm just trying to pump some iron here" Take it with a grain of salt, but c'mon.

* because a Nintendo fan killed one of your family members when you were a small child, or you enjoy trolling

I feel like we need to properly define some terms here.

Upscaling is when you take a fixed render resolution (like, say 640x480) and forcibly expand it to fit a larger resolution (like, say 1920x1080). Conversely, this process is also called subsampling. This process only improves the end picture insofar as it fills your display; the picture is still essentially the exact same as the original render size (in this case, the 640x480). The only thing that would happen if no upscaling occurred would be the picture would be surrounded by a black box with the original picture sitting in the middle.

Native rendering is the case in which the picture is made at the same resolution as the end display; in which case no scaling is necessary. With this method of rendering, many more details can be observed in the picture thanks to the increased render size.

For an example to illustrate the point, I'm going to use some screenshots from the PC version of Dark Souls.

This is an example of a subsampled 1080 render: [1]

This is the same shot rendered at native 1080: [2]

It should be fairly obvious that the natively rendered picture has the advantage of sharpness and increased, well, picture resolution.

There's a third case called supersampling, but that's largely irrelevant to game console discussion.

Edited by Gollgagh
verb conjugations :B

Everyone, it's the hottest topic about whatever we're talking about at the moment.

I can't have a day go by without someone either citing one method as the other, or trying to figure out the ideal display setting for their device/console/TV.

Thanks, Gollgagh. Now I can point them towards here and have it all sorted out for me.

Once upon a time Nintendo tried something new. Luigi's Mansion is a great example of them trying something new, as well as Paper Mario. Both excellent games that tried to break the normal formula. But now Nintendo gets a free ride as far as innovation is concerned. No one seems to care that they just dont try anymore. Because the release a waggle stick that doesn't work well or a gimped tablet pc that more than likely wont work very well, Nintendo gets to ride on the way of stupid customers shelling out there money because they don't know or care to know.

Much like Squeenix has lost their way with development, Nintendo seems to be phoning it in. If that is what they want to do, that is fine. I just really hate that they are going that way.

And no, I don't hate Nintendo. Gamecube was my favorite system from that cycle, and my 3DS gets a lot of play. I hate they the have become complacent.

Once upon a time Nintendo tried something new. Luigi's Mansion is a great example of them trying something new, as well as Paper Mario. Both excellent games that tried to break the normal formula. But now Nintendo gets a free ride as far as innovation is concerned. No one seems to care that they just dont try anymore. Because the release a waggle stick that doesn't work well or a gimped tablet pc that more than likely wont work very well, Nintendo gets to ride on the way of stupid customers shelling out there money because they don't know or care to know.

Much like Squeenix has lost their way with development, Nintendo seems to be phoning it in. If that is what they want to do, that is fine. I just really hate that they are going that way.

250px-Metroid_Other_M_Cover.jpg

Edited by Overflow