Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

If pure digital is anything like how Nintendo did digital retail for the Wii (ie console-locked content), then you can count on me sticking to physical media.

And fiddling with the Wii today (or rather, my brother's) here's something I really fucking hope:

Being able to use a CONTROLLER to access the Wii U's menu, instead of hoping that the finicky wii remotes pick up your signal.

Every time I've had to borrow my brother's Wii (or just bring my Wiimotes to a new Wii) it takes forever to have the system recognize the remotes. I've wished that I could just use the GC remote or something to use the menu, but unfortunately, Nintendo never really implemented such an option.

If I have to wait 20 minutes of repeated attempts to try to get my Gamepad to be recognized, why even bother?

If pure digital is anything like how Nintendo did digital retail for the Wii (ie console-locked content), then you can count on me sticking to physical media.

And fiddling with the Wii today (or rather, my brother's) here's something I really fucking hope:

Being able to use a CONTROLLER to access the Wii U's menu, instead of hoping that the finicky wii remotes pick up your signal.

Every time I've had to borrow my brother's Wii (or just bring my Wiimotes to a new Wii) it takes forever to have the system recognize the remotes. I've wished that I could just use the GC remote or something to use the menu, but unfortunately, Nintendo never really implemented such an option.

If I have to wait 20 minutes of repeated attempts to try to get my Gamepad to be recognized, why even bother?

It's an interesting thought. If the tablet doesn't take time to be recognized, it would be a great way to interface the system: using the touch function to browse games on the system or the shop seems way more convenient than the Wii's interface. If there are those same connectivity issues as you describe above, that would put a big damper on the experience.

It's an interesting thought. If the tablet doesn't take time to be recognized, it would be a great way to interface the system: using the touch function to browse games on the system or the shop seems way more convenient than the Wii's interface. If there are those same connectivity issues as you describe above, that would put a big damper on the experience.

Never really had his outstanding connectivity issues.

No worse than when my PS3 controller doesn't want to connect - rarely but fixable.

yeah that won't facilitate piracy at all

There's gotta be some way they can get around that, though. I mean they want to keep their retail relationships in mind, and I'm totally cool with and I support that since I like having my box copies, but changing carts on my 3DS, with portability as its main selling point, is a huge pain in the ass. Granted it won't be that big an issue on an immobile console, but still...

Also yeah, I don't know if it's just because my sensor bar has taken more than a few good whacks, there's wireless interference, or I got a dud Wiimote+, but I had problems syncing the thing with my Wii and my wireless sensor bar for PC on a consistent basis. Seriously hope they deal with that for the Wii U.

Also I just realized that this system will be perfect for roommates.

Edited by Malaki-LEGEND.sys

Also yeah, I don't know if it's just because my sensor bar has taken more than a few good whacks, there's wireless interference, or I got a dude Wiimote+, but I had problems syncing the thing with my Wii and my wireless sensor bar for PC on a consistent basis. Seriously hope they deal with that for the Wii U.

Yeah, you should really get a female Wiimote +, they work way better and are much more reliable.

I can't say I've EVER had any sync issues with my Wii. I hit the power button on my wii mote, and after it boots up I'm in the menu pretty much instantly clicking on things.

I think you guys might have dud remotes, or dont have the remotes married to your console at all (red button on unit, and back of the remote) and its doing a temp sync each time or something. something's wrong!

BTW, the Wii U GamePad and Pro are wireless too so not sure how being a controller would fix it over the wii mote.

Also I doubt it is the sensor bar. Is just 2 IR LEDs, so it doesn't do anything but invisibly shine 2 dots non-stop. Has nothing to do with syncing, in fact you can use the wiimote completely without it (just wont be able to point). Syncing and data transmission is done via bluetooth in the Wiimote and inside the Wii itself.

As far as being able to install games and not use the disc:

The only way to avoid piracy is if every physical game came with a voucher for the digital version (and went online to verify/marry the key). This would be perfect solution, but too convenient for publisher alike to bother with. It helps the consumer too much with no benefit to themselves. They could also claim its like giving a 2nd copy free and blahblah

But yes, the reason you need the physical disc in the unit for the physical copies even after you install the disc is so that it can verify you actually own it for anti-piracy reasons

Edited by Crowbar Man

There's gotta be some way they can get around that, though.

The only way they could make it work is if they made retail copies of games also include serial keys, a la PC gaming - which would not only excessively damage the used game market but would still facilitate even heavier piracy than exists right now.

one time use digital voucher codes are already currently used in many products (PSN/XBLA/Steam game codes/vouchers, DLC with retail package, RE6 Collecter's giving digital versions of older games, etc.), they don't facilitate piracy because they have to be verified online to redeem, the product is tied to an account/console, and immediately expire.

It would only hurt the used market doing it this way only in the fact you cant full install used games without the disc in the unit (like the way it currently works). That's not a big deal. Publisher's wouldn't care about damaging the used market anyways, they hate the used market

BUT like I said in the previous post, a voucher code to get the digital version of the game is like giving away basically a second copy. This probably wouldn't but up their ally

Edited by Crowbar Man

There's gotta be some way they can get around that, though. I mean they want to keep their retail relationships in mind, and I'm totally cool with and I support that since I like having my box copies, but changing carts on my 3DS, with portability as its main selling point, is a huge pain in the ass. Granted it won't be that big an issue on an immobile console, but still...

Also I just realized that this system will be perfect for roommates.

Geez man how lazy can you get? XD

Carts have been a part of portability since....well forever, it also legitimises the accessory industry with all them neat little carry cases/protectors.

I understand the PSP GO tried going full digital but for me cartridges have always been a mainstay of portable gaming and it's never been a real problem to take the tiny bit of effort to swap out a game for another. Indeed there is a tiny tiny tiny bit of satisfaction to be gained from the 'click' of slotting a new game in there. Typically if I'm going on a trip I'll choose about 3-4 games stick one in and take the others in a DS carry case and it's no hassle at all.

Oh man, you don't know me bro. I can be pretty damn lazy. :-P

It isn't a huge deal breaker for me, but at least on my 3DS, I'd love to not have to worry about extra cargo in my pocket, but I'll getting myself a nice bag soon anyway, so I guess that won't be an issue.

Were you able to snag the Card Case 18 from Club Nintendo? That helps out a lot too.

one time use digital voucher codes are already currently used in many products (PSN/XBLA/Steam game codes/vouchers, DLC with retail package, RE6 Collecter's giving digital versions of older games, etc.), they don't facilitate piracy because they have to be verified online to redeem, the product is tied to an account/console, and immediately expire.

yeah nobody pirates pc games

Guess you are going to ignore what I actually said? You are probably thinking of the old style cd Keys, and completely ignoring anything i typed.

The system I'm talking about (digital vouchers) is already in place and being used in the console world (I gave examples). Its safer from piracy because of the online digital authentication, one time use, and being tied to an account/console. Its is actually safer than disc based authentication (360 had that defeated long time ago).

Besides, If you want to get technical, you can pirate anything. Carts, Console disc games, PSN/XBLA/WiiWare/digital games, etc. Nothing is 100% safe from piracy. Its just varying degrees of difficulty.

But you can't realistically pirate a digital voucher code itself. Unless you are SUPER GREAT GUESSER and guess one in a few tries lol. You'd wind up banned before a brute force would find anything

You can't even realisticly pirate old style CD keys on the PC for online use if there is a log on/authentication process for multiplayer games. Most PC pirated material is offline only or private / emulated servers.

Disc based authentication COMPLETELY fails here, because you CAN play online on consoles with pirated version (hense why the digital voucher code for multiplayer arrived, to defeat both used games and pirate games). Just sometimes if they figure it out your console and/or account gets banned. Still works for X ammount of time just fine

None of this is Wii U related, but please: Read whats typed before responding.

Now uh any Wii U news?

Edited by Crowbar Man

Guess you are going to ignore what I actually said? You are probably thinking of the old style cd Keys, and completely ignoring anything i typed.

Malaki originally said;

Console publishers, for God's sake just let me buy a game at retail, then let me install the bloody thing on an HDD without needing the CD in the drive.

I assumed he was talking about buying games that are on a DVD, which can then be installed to consoles and played without the DVD itself. Maybe he can clarify.