Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

The thing about the Wii U is when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros. when is Smash Bros.

It's funny because whenever someone asks Sakurai about that, it's like he gets really uncomfortable and says

"Um, well, dude we haven't even started that shit yet"

Guys guys. It's all good in the hood. You guys should get some rum. Everybody sing koom-bay-yah or I'm going to post a picture of Tingle cosplay. And you do not want me to do that!

I mean, we're all just a bunch of nerdy assholes right? You know what? I don't agree with 90 percent of what Brushfire says but he's probably a cool dude overall. Let's get along folks.

i'm lazy so my impressions are in chatlog form

[17:59] <Mirby> hold on

[18:00] <Mirby> i jacked like 3 things of Jones Soda that they had there

[18:00] <Mirby> HEY THEY SAID THEY WERE COMPLIMENTARY

[18:01] <Mirby> anywho

[18:01] <Mirby> got there a bit early

[18:02] <[NAME]> go on

[18:03] <Mirby> i'm tryin' to pull somethin' up

[18:03] <Mirby> hold yer horses my computer's bein' slow

[18:04] <Mirby>

408227_469594713080653_1000994559_n.jpg

[18:04] <Mirby> took this picture at the entrance

[18:05] <Mirby> first game i played was the Zelda Battle Quest within Nintendo Land

[18:05] <[NAME]> how did the controls feel?

[18:05] <Mirby> it's cooperative, taking elements from Four Swords such as hitting switches together

[18:05] <Mirby> oh they were tight

[18:05] <Mirby> very responsive

[18:05] <Mirby> I only used the Wiimote there, but it was fun

[18:06] <Mirby> everything had a cardboard-cutout feel

[18:06] <Mirby> when the bridge into the temple fell, you could see the top of it for a second and it was corrugated cardboard XD

[18:06] <Mirby> Next I watched a friend play the arrow game in Game & Wario

[18:07] <Mirby> you use the Gamepad to pull back arrows (the bowstring is wario's stache and the tip of the arrow is his nose) and tilt the Gamepad to aim

[18:07] <Mirby> you can also rub the tip of the arrow to create a sneezing arrow

[18:07] <Mirby> if the enemies, little Wario robots, get too close they'll jump on you and you have to smash them on the Gamepad's screen before returning to the action

[18:08] <Mirby> you can also hit landmines to get some nice combos, and there was a boss

[18:08] <Mirby> a giant Wario tank

[18:08] <Mirby> you had to hit the screws on his arms and in his nose to reveal his buck teeth

[18:08] <Mirby> which you shoot

[18:08] <Mirby> unfortunately my friend was devoured by the Wario tank, resulting in instant loss

[18:08] <Mirby> i tried Jimmy's game, the ski course

[18:09] <Mirby> you hold the pad sideways and tilt it slightly to turn; your view on the screen is top down

[18:09] <Mirby> i got the best score the guy had seen on the course; it was easy

[18:09] <Mirby> you also shook the pad gently once to get air off of jumps

[18:09] <Mirby> my reward for getting Gold was seeing Jimmy gyrate his hips in full cel-shaded HD glory

[18:10] <Mirby> i don't think i'm sleeping tonight

[18:10] <Mirby> After that I tried the Mario Chase game in Nintendo Land

[18:10] <Mirby> one person with the pad plays as Mario and has to outrun the other players, the Toads

[18:10] <Mirby> on screen, the toads see how close they are to Mario but aren't sure where he is

[18:11] <Mirby> i managed to catch Mario with 2 seconds left, and that was only because Mario got stuck running into a post XD

[18:12] <Mirby> From there I checked out Super Scribblenauts; just as fun as the other entries, the missions are fun, it's obviously open-world, creating new objects is awesome (i created a massive mosquito with its head and wings separate from the body rayman-style and christened it the Giganto Mosquito)

[18:12] <Mirby> i then rained death from above with prismatic crying gigantic wings and a large purple flamethrower

[18:12] <Mirby> which i later swapped out for a giant magenta laser

[18:15] <Mirby> the interface on the touch screen was great; you saw everything that was on the TV screen, and it was easier than ever entering words into the notepad

[18:15] <Mirby> you also were able to drag and drop the items you created whereever necessary

[18:15] <Mirby> i then checked out NSMBU

[18:16] <Mirby> it was fun; we did a stage with a baby red yoshi, who inflates like a balloon

[18:16] <Mirby> this enables you to basically get a floating double jump

[18:16] <Mirby> i called dibs on luigi before it was my turn and the guy running the booth ensured i got him too :D

[18:17] <Mirby> also, unlike NSMBWii Player 1 isn't always Mario

[18:17] <Mirby> but yeah, the person running the Gamepad was someone i befriended and that really allowed me to see the teamwork aspect

[18:17] <Mirby> asking him for platforms to a Star Coin and getting them

[18:18] <Mirby> then i went on to check out The Wonderful 101

[18:18] <Mirby> which was fun, really fun

[18:18] <Mirby> very intuitive gameplay and over-the-top wackiness

[18:19] <Mirby> there's two types of attacks: X and A

[18:19] <Mirby> X attacks are weaker but they recharge your battery meter, required for the stronger A attacks

[18:20] <Mirby> you can recruit civilians to your cause by drawing a quick circle (mine were never complete loops) and maneuvering that with the left joystick near civilians

[18:20] <Mirby> when the line turns prismatic they join your troops

[18:20] <Mirby> you can also change attack form with a quick line (sword) or right angle (gun)

[18:21] <Mirby> enemies get a pie chart representing their health, sometimes with layers on it much like the colors of KH1's enemy health bar

[18:21] <Mirby> it's quite entertaining to run circles around enemies (such as a giant tank) and just pulverize

[18:21] <Mirby> when you go into a building the action switches to the Gamepad's screen

[18:22] <Mirby> which looks just as good as on the TV

[18:22] <Mirby> maybe a bit crisper actually

[18:23] <Mirby> although the ZR and ZL buttons were quite sensitive, something i discovered drawing a quick circle and then bumping it accidentally

[18:23] <Mirby> canceling the circle

[18:23] <Mirby> i was like WTF but the guy told me that's what it was

[18:23] <Mirby> some guy in a mario suit showed up

[18:23] <Mirby> took a picture with him

[18:23] <Mirby> trying to break a plush block with my hand but it WOULDN'T STAY STILL

[18:23] <Mirby> XD

[18:31] <Mirby> i also tried out the Metroid game in Nintendo Land

[18:31] <Mirby> sniping the young kid controlling Samus's ship via the Gamepad

[18:31] <Mirby> seriously, as far away as possible, direct hit

399614_469664296407028_195250312_n.jpg

302289_469664326407025_96349380_n.jpg

548488_469664349740356_1458264707_n.jpg

also lizz was there. :D

Nice, Mirb! You got to play three titles I didn't!

In the spirit of posting hands on impressions of Wii U games and hardware, I'll be relinking my Wii U Experience experience here. My impressions cover several NintendoLand minigames, Rayman Legends, ZombiU, NSMBU and the Pikmin 3 'challenge mode demo'.

Edited by ocre

also, BY THE WAY, since this double standard seems to go completely un-talked about all the time, just about every 'first party' game on a sony or microsoft system is actually just published by sony or microsoft, and developed by an aquired developer. nintendo is really the only hardware company with consistent, significant in-house software development.

I'm cool, Derrit, not maddened by the response. Funny how you pointed out my flaws, actually.

I don't care if Brawl has gay elements (save the gay tripping), so much as I hated stupidity. Of course, I forgot to mention the backward compatibility for the handhelds, which was cool. And no, I'm not planning to buy something I hate; rather, I wanna like Nintendo, but will fall out if they remain weak.

As far as the jokes go about using drugs when naturally creative minds need a kick, I am saying that it's disappointing when you play a game and realize when they started getting lazy. There are methods of inspiration out there. As an antithesis to laziness: I'm not saying that a game like Melee lacked lazy aspects, but through the fourth wall, you could see producers who had too much fun in your mind when you experience the details of the game, especially when the game scores you based on gameplay, plus the names they develop, such as "Pratfaller" or "Run, don't walk".

Edited by Salluz

I apologize. Didn't know that I could bother you so bad, ol' shoes. Adios. Dude, weed is some good shit. So is a woman. Hell no I can't quit.

There are many things that you can make light of - but there are certain topics, like homosexuality, that are out of bounds. I remember a reddit "joke" where someone asked a guy living in Aurora what the gun ranges were like there. Surely people who make jokes have many other topics to choose from.

Also, repeating things that "someone else said first" sounds like a schoolyard game. Or maybe presidential politics. Both are low levels of discourse.

THE TOPIC:

nintendo-wii-u-black.jpg

...But I'll entertain y'all once more:

There are many things that you can make light of - but there are certain topics, like homosexuality, that are out of bounds.

I respect your adult approach. Thank you, earnestly.

Also, repeating things that "someone else said first" sounds like a schoolyard game. Or maybe presidential politics. Both are low levels of discourse.

Or a repeated joke? You're right, I'm quite lenient. I'll replace "gay tripping" with "drug tripping" because it won't offend the druggies.

I said I was sorry, Derrit. Still talking silly?

'brawl taunts called it gay, i'm just quoting them clearly i'm not using gay in a derogatory way because someone else did it first'

good thinking we all totally believe you

Look, I'm sorry. I'm bi, and so is my wife. Got any more reasons to flame? Are you running out? If you lack a reason to hate me, I can give you a few. However, if you have a list, it's probably some old wrinkled written record of posts I made in the past that you didn't like when I was a paradoxical Christian. Funny how some things change and others don't.

Now back to your topic. Nintendo disappointed me and I finished my point. You're not so disillusioned it seems? You were discussing the Wii U, correct?

Edited by Salluz
No need to swear (much).

So for those who have played a Wii U, I have a question. How bad is the disconnect from the tablet screen to the TV? At first, I blew it off as troll bait, but even Extra Credits mentioned it in their latest episode. I'm not sure I understand why there's such a huge difference between this dual screen experience and the experience of playing a DS, but I've never played it.

So for those who have played a Wii U, I have a question. How bad is the disconnect from the tablet screen to the TV? At first, I blew it off as troll bait, but even Extra Credits mentioned it in their latest episode. I'm not sure I understand why there's such a huge difference between this dual screen experience and the experience of playing a DS, but I've never played it.

Just to clarify, are you asking about the lag between the action on the tv and the corresponding display on the tablet? I'd like to know this as well. I haven't played a Wii U yet, but I'd expect little to no lag. I'm envisioning this to be akin to the Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles experience, where the main action is on the tv and some correlated information (e.g., maps or inventory) is displayed on the tablet; I haven't been keeping up, though, so I don't really know the extent of the interface between the screens.

Optimistically, the WII-MEETS-3DS concept is a good move.

Whatever the case is with the Wii U screen solo quality versus the TV, it's more important that the hardware and internet are decent than the software, which can be updated easily. Not equipping hardware with longevity will force people to have to buy again, which spoils the word of mouth value of the system, causing people to avoid it.

As long as the hardware is good and the internet functions, it'll be alright.

Just to clarify, are you asking about the lag between the action on the tv and the corresponding display on the tablet?

No, I was referring to people saying it's hard to focus on two screens at once.

On your question, most sites I see report that lag isn't an issue at all, but I'm assuming that's in the developer's hands, to a certain extent. If they push the system too hard, then wouldn't the wireless display functionality start to suffer as well?