Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

it only takes one second to break something. statistically speaking it wasn't likely to happen in one day but that certainly doesn't mean it didn't get forcefully broken.

it's pretty reasonable to be highly doubtful nintendo would put out hardware that doesn't work well. nintendo, snes, n64, game boy, game boy color, game boy advance, gamecube, ds, wiimote (though say what you will about waggle) and classic controller, and 3ds all have well working, functional, durable controls.

it only takes one second to break something. statistically speaking it wasn't likely to happen in one day but that certainly doesn't mean it didn't get forcefully broken.

it's pretty reasonable to be highly doubtful nintendo would put out hardware that doesn't work well. nintendo, snes, n64, game boy, game boy color, game boy advance, gamecube, ds, wiimote (though say what you will about waggle) and classic controller, and 3ds all have well working, functional, durable controls.

Yeah I recall my GBA taking some heavy hits back in the day from drops to thrown against the wall and it worked fine after them got plenty of life out of it.

http://imgmr.com/index.php/wii-u/news/3147-3d-enabled-on-the-gamepad

Some really interesting news; Wii U is 'technically' 3D capable, nintendo admitted a while ago, but they didn't want to make a fuss about it. Well according to ubisoft the gamepad is as well...

Interesting... But this throws up FAR more questions... Active or passive 3D? I have an active 3DTV so if i was to wear glasses would they work with the gamepad? I'm not sure.... if so, would wearing active glasses to look at the TV be ruined by having to look down at a non 3D gampad?

Also, assassin's creed III is only game confirmed, what about the other ports?

Arkham City was 3D capable for xbox and PS3, is it here?

Hmmm....

agreed.

this seems more like you wanting to find fault in some faulty design, brush, than admit that it's possible for it to have broken as quickly as it did.

it happens. *shrug*

I dont want to find fault, I did find fault. There is a difference Mirbs and Ocre.Most people seemed to gloss over the fact that I said Rayman Legends was fun. If I had to try to find something at fault with the Demo unit it is that it only has the one demo. No playable Mario also seems kinda lame.

Most demo things I see only really do one or two games but man when you bash the console for ages before getting your hands on one. Then when you are the only one to have a hand on one and give a negative review you can hardly blame people for doubting you.

You could just let people enjoy their happiness at a new console instead of coming in and stamping the big 'PC superiority' stamp everywhere.

http://imgmr.com/index.php/wii-u/news/3147-3d-enabled-on-the-gamepad

Some really interesting news; Wii U is 'technically' 3D capable, nintendo admitted a while ago, but they didn't want to make a fuss about it. Well according to ubisoft the gamepad is as well...

Interesting... But this throws up FAR more questions... Active or passive 3D? I have an active 3DTV so if i was to wear glasses would they work with the gamepad? I'm not sure.... if so, would wearing active glasses to look at the TV be ruined by having to look down at a non 3D gampad?

Hmmm....

According to a Product Manager from Ubisoft, the game is playable in 3D with the help of 3D glasses.

Depends on the glasses I guess

Most demo things I see only really do one or two games but man when you bash the console for ages before getting your hands on one. Then when you are the only one to have a hand on one and give a negative review you can hardly blame people for doubting you.

You could just let people enjoy their happiness at a new console instead of coming in and stamping the big 'PC superiority' stamp everywhere.

I said from day one until I try it, I will not be a believer. When I tried it it was pretty good. Then the hardware broke. Now I am not one to automatically assume that hardware is shit based on it being Nintendo, despite it's lackluster specs. However we have 3 tablet PC's and a 3DSXL that have lasted for a couple of months on demo with destructive kids and for the tablet controller to break after one day of use is pathetic, fanboy or not.

People can like things all they want too. Doesn't mean I have to keep my opinions to myself and let the fans clamour and acclaim that a single touch tablet face and a lame accelometer is a revolutionary thing. Saying that HD is a revolutionary thing. I will give Nintendo this. The idea to play a game on the tablet computer and not take up the tv is great. For parents that is a wonderful idea. However it is balanced by being on an itty-bitty screen. And I also said that the launch is awful. NSMBU looks exactly like NSMB2. Nintendo land looks like it could be fun, and the rest, save for scribblenauts, are all games that have already been out on everything else.

...Did anyone REALLY say that the tablet controller is "revolutionary"? All the Wii U is doing is what the Nintendo DS did back when it released years ago, except one of the screens happens to be your TV this time. Big whoop. I could say "Wow! This will let me keep playing whenever my roommates want the TV!", but I already have a 3DS...

If anything, the Wii U is just playing catch up with the HD generation. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but what we're going to see(again) is most of the sales of the system are going to be based on Nintendo software, and that alone is probably what caused the thing to already sell out nearly everywhere. The difference here is that Nintendo has created an environment in which third party games can now thrive as opposed to the vastly underpowered Wii... Until Microsoft and Sony announce/release their next-gen systems, which is a huge unknown variable to Nintendo's success with the Wii U.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If Skyward Sword were released back when the Wii originally launched, we would all be thinking about motion controls very differently right now. I feel like the same could be said about Nintendo right now with their releasing of the Wii U; we'd be thinking much differently about them as a hardware and software developer.

I think it's a bit more than premature to be completely gloom and doom about the system, but can you blame anyone for being a bit apprehensive about it?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it sounds to me like Brushfire is basing his general opinion of the system based on one almost-DOA gamepad. If this was a widespread thing, I'd agree with him. It's silly to think that all the gamepads will break so easily though.

...Did anyone REALLY say that the tablet controller is "revolutionary"? All the Wii U is doing is what the Nintendo DS did back when it released years ago, except one of the screens happens to be your TV this time. Big whoop. I could say "Wow! This will let me keep playing whenever my roommates want the TV!", but I already have a 3DS...

clearly you never played four swords adventures, or crystal chronicles

Just two things:

Saying that HD is a revolutionary thing.

I dont think anybody said Nintendo finally having resolutions higher then 480p is "revolutionary" for anything other than Nintendo's games themselves. Its only in Nintendo's world they've been stuck in SD-land. Sony/MS have been in "HD". Even then, its not just a bump in resolution either, the console itself is beefier in every spec than the Wii by a huge margin. This will lead to better games from Nintendo (Hopefully!).

NSMBU looks exactly like NSMB2.

NSMBU is a follow up to NSMB Wii, not 2. U and 2 are nothing alike, you'd have to have some pretty poor eyesight / understanding of the games to not notice any difference.

NSMB2: on a tiny screen thats 400×240. Max 2 players (only with 2 3DS and 2 copies of the game). Has a gold coin collecting marathon going on unique to itself

NSMBU: 720p. 4 normal players + a 5th helper on the GamePad. Traditional NSMB style play.

Both of them are in NSMB subseries (not REAL Mario games) so aesthetically they are identical (and not my thing) but that is about it. If you don't like the NSMB subseries: Don't play them. Wait for a real Mario game.

Edited by Crowbar Man

clearly you never played four swords adventures, or crystal chronicles

Derrit, the only thing you've managed to do is further my point.

Who talked about bad game quality? I never said that in my post. What I did say is that the Wii U does not by any stretch of the imagination create a paradigm shift in the way we play videogames/

I like how actual valid opinions are "hatehatehate."

Also do you even have money?

Yes.uh-huh

Let's try this then.

At Comic-Con all the GamePads worked for the duration of the con. Problem? Not saying your opinion is invalid, but your story, to me is one of those "damn that sucks" bad luck stories more than a "I thoroughly tested this thing and it's crap" story.

There are 1 star reviews for the best-rated computer parts out there, for example. And usually, it's for reasons exactly like what you said: faulty unit.

Not saying Wii U is the best thing ever. I've only tried it a few times at Comic-Con. I can say judging it on a broken demo GameStop unit is ROFL. I've seen broken PS3 and Xbox controllers. So freakin' what?

Edited by Neblix

If there is wide spread reports of the controllers breaking, then you'd have a point. A demo unit in public display is never a good judgement, not sure why you are trying to push that so hard. It is always disappointing to see something break in a short amount of time, but since there aren't any details of WHAT happened to it, take it with a grain of salt. Nintendo does have a good track record, after all. Anything can break if stressed enough

Edited by Crowbar Man

Just two things:

I dont think anybody said Nintendo finally having resolutions higher then 480p is "revolutionary" for anything other than Nintendo's games themselves. Its only in Nintendo's world they've been stuck in SD-land. Sony/MS have been in "HD". Even then, its not just a bump in resolution either, the console itself is beefier in every spec than the Wii by a huge margin. This will lead to better games from Nintendo (Hopefully!).

It is all over every bit of Nintendo Press stuff.

NSMBU is a follow up to NSMB Wii, not 2. U and 2 are nothing alike, you'd have to have some pretty poor eyesight / understanding of the games to not notice any difference.

The game share almost the exact same art assets as 2.

NSMB2: on a tiny screen thats 400×240. Max 2 players (only with 2 3DS and 2 copies of the game). Has a gold coin collecting marathon going on unique to itself

To say that a coin collecting marathon is unique to itself is false. Many games count arbitrary stats. Like any shooter ever made. Any driving game ever made. Any game with a leaderboard ever made.

NSMBU: 720p. 4 normal players + a 5th helper on the GamePad. Traditional NSMB style play.

Or how it is really going to be played: Four players and the asshole whom is not going to do anything but grief. Ice flower all over again.

Both of them are in NSMB subseries (not REAL Mario games) so aesthetically they are identical (and not my thing) but that is about it. If you don't like the NSMB subseries: Don't play them. Wait for a real Mario game.

Saying NSMB is not a real mario game is also dumb. Mario Party and Mario Kart are not real Mario games. They dont have the platforming elements that traditional Mario games have. If anything one could argue that the 3D mario games aren't real mario games by your logic as they dont fit into the 2D platforming model.

But no I dont understand game mechanics and am a complete idiot because I don't let game devs phone it in. Which is exactly what Nintendo does these days.

It isn't the same as the DS, and that should be pretty clear just by looking at the launch games.

First, the Wii U has the multiplayer element that the DS doesn't have. I believe that is has been called "revolutionary" by the press, not the fact there are 2 screens.

Second, since the two screens are completely independent, you can create puzzles with them (like the scanner on ZombiU). You can also the gamepad's motion features, which is obviously impossible on the DS.

I believe it is pretty clear that the Wii U allows for a lot more stuff than the DS, and not only because of better hardware.

Other thing I find funny is the criticism of NSMB series. Sure, they are very traditional games, but that is exactly what they are supposed to be. I understand the criticism of the art style, because I hate it too, but the gameplay is just what it's supposed to be: 2d platforming. I don't think people despise the Donkey Kong Country games for being the same thing one after the other, or the NES Super Mario Bros trilogy, or other series that are mainly iterations of a formula.

I'm not saying it's "teh suck", people. You can read through this thread to see several things that have me excited for it in fact, but I think it's a bit premature to say the thing is a "revolution" a la Wii. The asymetric gameplay ideas that can come out of the dual screen solution, as well as being able to stream the game to the tablet thus eliminating the need for a TV in some instances is great, but Nintendo has been kicking around the dual screen idea since the Game n' Watch, which was iterated on with the DS, the 3DS, and now the Wii U.

Derrit, the only thing you've managed to do is further my point.

Who talked about bad game quality? I never said that in my post. What I did say is that the Wii U does not by any stretch of the imagination create a paradigm shift in the way we play videogames/

i see your thought process but those are two games, pretty much nothing else ever capitalized on it like those did. it's an untapped paradigm, if not completely new. if it's brought to the mainstream in a constructive fashion, i think it will be game-changing (no pun intended) especially to in-home multiplayer, which desperately needs it. i don't wish the days of internet gaming to end, but i really hope that 4 player multiplayer doesn't become irrelevant, as it increasingly has been lately.

To be fair, arguing that NSMB2 is substantially different from NSMBU is INDEED rofl.

It's the game New Super Mario Bros.

For Wii U.

@Crowbar:

A change in resolution and the number of players allowed is not substantial difference at all. If one read this thread alone they could assume it's actually even just a port based on what you've listed.

The game is the same. 2D Mario platforming with bright art style, very low gravity value, and cooperative play. The music will probably be the same/similar.

The only thing different will be the levels. You may as well argue that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was substantially different from 1. It wasn't; it may as well have been an expansion. The engine was identical, they added some new items and made all new levels and music. Some people have done that before; they called it Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

I'm fine with all of that, though. I personally like the "more of the same" if the same was good. Just saying Brushfire wins here by a landslide.

Edited by Neblix