Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Agreeing here. I enjoyed Corruption despite its linear nature and some tacked on motion control BS, and the original Prime was one of, if not my favorite GameCube game ever. Prime was pretty much the perfect Metroid experience in three dimensions.

Echoes pissed me off way too much for me to fully enjoy. Even more backtracking, very few shortcuts to be found, and worst of all was Dark Aether. While interesting at first, it quickly lost its novelty when you got locked into every other room where you were forced to fight a bunch of Ing and you were restricted to the areas that were lit up. Conceptually, Dark Aether and its toxic atmosphere were awesome, but in practice, it was just a huge nuisance. What's sad is that Echoes is, for the most part, a wonderfully put together, atmospheric game, but it suffers a lot coming off the original Prime's footsteps.

I'm just here to say that i couldn't have said it any better than you just have. Thank you.

Anybody considering investing in Ninty stock? I'm willing to bet that there will be long lines and empty shelves this release. I don't know if the turnover will be as good as last time but its bound to be profitable. I could be completely wrong. Call it a hunch.

Edited by megadave

So people are ranting and raving about how awesome the various menu themes of the Wii U are, and I have to fight to keep myself from listening to them. I loved discovering the Wii's Weather Channel Night music and I can't wait to discover the music on the Wii U menu. It's a special treat that only Nintendo delivers. Just another level of polish that other companies never have.

Since we're so close to the systems debut in 3 days, can I get a show of hands for those that are getting the system day 1 and what launch games you plan on buying? I will be getting the Deluxe model with NSMBU and ZombiU.

@Overflow: Yeah, I'm probably looking forward to exploring the UI and all the menus and everything maybe even more so than playing the games! Can't wait to dig into it.

Edited by ocre

My situation is a bit odd. I have a system preordered, but I preordered late so it might be two weeks before it arrives. However, the store I work at is getting 2 systems, so I've laid claim to one, and they'll get the one I preordered when it arrives.

And yeah, getting the Deluxe system. Mario U is definitely on the agenda, as is Scribblenauts Unlimited and Rayman Legends.

I can't help but feel like this is the console that Nintendo should've released 6 years ago. Right now things look pretty peachy with full feature ports of big hitters like CoD and AC3, but once the next console gen is out, it will be back to severely neutered ports/shovelware, such as what happened with the Wii.

Maybe the first/second party exclusives will tip people over though, as Nintendo is wont to do. Actual modern games are better played on a PC anyway.

I can't help but feel like this is the console that Nintendo should've released 6 years ago. Right now things look pretty peachy with full feature ports of big hitters like CoD and AC3, but once the next console gen is out, it will be back to severely neutered ports/shovelware, such as what happened with the Wii.

Maybe the first/second party exclusives will tip people over though, as Nintendo is wont to do. Actual modern games are better played on a PC anyway.

Tech specs didn't matter when it came to putting 30 million sales between Wii and the much more capable "HD Twins". I think the Wii U is going to be in a good place against the phantom "true next gen" systems from Microsoft and Sony, if those companies don't want to take a heavy loss just to secure that bleeding edge tech leap, which has been shown to not be such a factor in success- the PS3 trounces the Wii; the Vita trounces the 3DS; the PSP trounces the DS)- and Nintendo are said to be selling Wii U at a loss. The head start alone will help them more than hurt them. And let's not forget how powerful Nintendo's franchises are.

Funny to me how people always pretend Nintendo is at a disadvantage.

Nintendo literally is at a disadvantage by having lower tech specs though. I wasn't trying to argue whether or not it will be a commercial success, as that's a poor metric of quality anyway.

What I'm saying is that when the next PS/Xbox come around, 3rd party developers will start using those specs as a standard, which means that the Wii U will, again, be stuck with mediocre ports or spinoffs of big 3rd party games. That is an issue and a disadvantage to me.

Don't be surprised to see prices on games go up and less risks being taken in game development, though. If the specs of both the 720 and the PS4 are through the roof compared to the Wii U, game dev costs are going to go up in direct proportion, and speaking personally, I don't really think most people care if audio/video fidelity don't dramatically increase from this generation. That doesn't mean people won't pick up MS and Sony's next console, but I believe that they're both going to focus much more on features than specs, and that isn't a huge stretch, given the continued push that all 3 are making with stuff like media streaming and other living room experiences.

I picked up my reserved Deluxe just a minute ago.

Time to get home, set it up, update the firmware for Miiverse, set up my NinID, explore the OS and eShop over and over again then play something.

I'm about to finally play a game but I did get to reg my NintendoID! It's starkweatherTD

Add me on Miiverse, you dregs!!

Edited by ocre

I picked up my reserved Deluxe just a minute ago.

Time to get home, set it up, update the firmware for Miiverse, set up my NinID, explore the OS and eShop over and over again then play something.

I'm about to finally play a game but I did get to reg my NintendoID! It's starkweatherTD

Add me on Miiverse, you dregs!!

Why not "ocre"?