Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

So far I really like it! The menus are new and strange and intimidating, but I'll get the hang of it. The web browser is awesome, too. In fact, i'm typing this message on the gamepad!! It's as fast as my ipad. Sweet.

edit: now I'm editing this post while a youtube video is playing on the tv! This is awesome!!

Edited by Overflow

Picked mine up last night. I was gonna try to wait a week for a check to come through, but Gamestop was gonna give mine away if I didn't do it before the end of the day. Either way, so far I like NintendoLand a lot more than I thought I was going to. It's much more of a deep experience than they gave in Wii Sports, without being any less approachable.

After setting up the system, updating the firmware, and installing Netflix and playing with that for a while, I only really had time to play with the ninja star game. It's pretty dang fun, and I can see myself constantly trying to get high scores. I'm excited to go home tonight and play some more. I'm actually thinking about buying NSMBU as well. Not for a couple weeks probably, but just to say how much I'm loving the gamepad.

As an addition, the TV controls are interesting and what's there works well, but it's limited as to what it'll let me do. i.e. I can't set my DVR to record, or even access my DVR recordings, I can't control my TV volume because it's hooked into a stereo system, but I assume that'll be fixed once they release the TVii U stuff? I haven't really been keeping up on that news.

No time for Wii U impressions! Must play more NintendoLand! Also this browser is killer. ( I'm posting from my GamePad right now! ) Guess OCR won't be seeing much of me now that I have my new addiction.

and yeah, pretty sure the TVii thing will feature the DVR control stuff. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Also, is it possible you admins would add a Nintendo ID icon to the OCR forum profile? Thanks.

Edited by ocre

Funny how this console seems to offer everything the original Wii did and then some; Yet, the Wii was praised on its release, and this one is receiving mixed signals from the tech reviewers. Quite a few whiny tech articles out there. I think maybe some are legit (bricking during an update would make me flip) but people just seem to be whinier altogether these days, especially when you look at the positive reception from Wii U purchasers on gaming sites.

Mr.Review guy had to run an update and use an SD card in order to transfer his purchases from one console to another? Wow. Personally I applaud Nintendo for even giving that option to consumers.

If these are the biggest complaints that the tech reviewers can come up with then I'd say this console is a safe buy. Do any of these people even remember the issues other consoles have had with backwards compatibility? Some games not being compatible at all and uh...tossing it out the window altogether? No I don't think the console is going to be perfect but I'm still a little thrown off by the negativity. I can tell when critics are digging up dirt and I can smell it from a mile away. I'm open to criticisms from actual users (especially those on this site) but some of these reviewers online are lucky they have jobs. Just my two cents.

To me, part of the negative press comes from the fact that most people that visit gaming sites are "hardcore gamers that hate Nintendo". Then, the press can gain a nice amount of clicks by bashing anything possible!

Not to say the console is perfect, since there are some real problems (slow OS and that freezing thing), but I laughed when one reviewer complained about the placement of the buttons on the Gamepad.

I got it now. Had to set up my friends list before it would let me do anything. I sent both you a request.

Did you send it from the friends list or from miiverse? I've found it all works better miiverse. If you add someone from the friends list they won't be notified, but they will if you send them a friend request in miiverse.