Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

I don't live in the states but most reports I've seen indicated they are selling. I was told that they 'had' sold out the first wave and nintendo was continously resuppling.

Was anyone actually in a shop on Black Friday? Were there thousands of unsold wii Us or did they turn over their stock? In which case does that make their low (ish) numbers due to supply rather than demand.

If Nintendo are playing the long game it makes sense to me to only advertise the system when you have units to sell. They know the hardcore (served by ign, destructoid et al) are already being informed. Why poor money down drain advertising wii us to the larger market until they have stock to shift?

In the UK although we had 'some' adverts from nov 1st I've seen many, many more over this weekend.

As I said I can't comment about the states but that's the larger, overall impression I've got from the web. Nintendo's launch has hardly been glorious but if they are still limited units that are still being churned out that could explain timing.

To be honest Nintendos plan from here to christmas looks okay, its next year that will be critical. We need some big news soon...

I want you to know that I was actually considering taking your post as something other than your usual "I hate everything" spiel until I got to this part.

For as much money as Nintendo pours into its console Zelda games, I just don't think they get the same return on their investment. Apparently SS was the longest Zelda to develop (and probably as a result the most expensive). Shouldn't all that time have ensured more than 3 million copies, if Zelda is as popular as it is? I'm curious. DKCR sold more! Now that the WiiU is out, do you think we'll see any real explosion of Skyward Sword sales?

Wii U sold out during pre-orders from what I've read. They only sold 400,000 because they only produced 400,000.

Eh, but why can I walk into a gamestop and see a bunch of Wii U's? I think there's two competing stories here: Nintendo trying to create a false 'fierce demand', and the story that's actually in stores and markets across the U.S. I only know what I hear, though.

The major point I was trying to bring across that the WiiU is not going to be anywhere near as scarce or in demand as the Wii was - it was (if I recall) close to two years before Wii's started sitting on shelves instead of flying off them. That is one hell of a momentum and I don't think Nintendo could have seen that coming. They can try to manufacture that demand, but it won't work the same way. You can infer what that might mean about the success of the WiiU relative to the Wii.

The problem again is a case of marketing - I don't think Nintendo communicated that the WiiU 'made' the Wii 'obsolete' and the WiiU as the new 'must-have.' The fact that the Wii sold so much I think points to that; I think that is a mishandling of a launch. Yes, the WiiU sold "more", but should it not have been that close? Heck, what does that say about the 3DS, then?

Eh, but why can I walk into a gamestop and see a bunch of Wii U's?

Because Nintendo specifically produced a larger number of systems, so that consumer demand wouldn't consistently lead to the console being sold out and subsequently price gouged horribly, just like they said they were going to?

That's kind of a stupid assumption to make. The people who work on the software are not the same people who work on physically producing the system; assuming that Nintendo deciding ahead of time to produce a larger number of systems is what caused there to be a software "issue" doesn't make any sense.

And besides, the day-one patch taking forever wasn't actually Nintendo's fault - in fact, it's particular the fault of the people who insist that gaming consoles need also be media centers.

I would just assume that if you need to produce more of something, you need to start producing earlier. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the increased production run might have cut into the actual development time.

And while I agree that the whole TVii thing is stupid and unnecessary - I feel that the Wii only became a "netflix box" when Nintendo decided to stop supporting it like they had been doing up to 2010. I understand that they were starting to shift work on the WiiU but that would have been the perfect time to let younger less-experienced devs work on low-cost projects to keep on generating interest.

i seem to notice a trend of nintendo trying to start fresh with their approach to online capabilities but everyone still damning them for their mistakes with the wii.

really, they've made strides to make the experience much better.

@swifthom: though i'm not sure about the EU date, Rayman Legends was confirmed to launch on February 26th, 2013. not sure which region(s) that's for, though i'm guessin' it's the NA date.

The thing about online gaming is that who cares about online gaming. The only games truly worth playing online are various shooting games that are only for the Xbox 360 or for PC.

I would care much more about online gaming if it was with a group of friends. The fun factor is only limited with strangers.

Imagine a cooperative RPG with people that don't shank you for loot. Heavenly..

People want online because they're too lonely to invite their own friends over. :<sarcasm for you hater types

Honestly the older you get, the harder it is to get friends together, unless you have a huge circle of friends who happen to love the same type of games.

Which I uh... nope. Living in rural areas is not helpful either.

Edited by Modus

I would've loved for Nintendo to make NSMBU with online multiplayer. If that was the case, I would have actually bought it. I have a couple friends that I'd love to play through with, but they live roughly an hour away from me so it's not like I can drop by there often enough to make it matter. I get the feeling that the programmers at Nintendo don't have enough experience in programming online games so they avoid it at all costs.

The only thing I'm not liking about the Wii U is that the gamepad has lessened my excitement for 3DS games that I was previously excited for. (firstworldproblems). Oh well. I'm totally getting Zombii U in the next week or so. Do we have a Pikmin 3 release date yet?