Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

I would've loved for Nintendo to make NSMBU with online multiplayer. If that was the case, I would have actually bought it. I have a couple friends that I'd love to play through with, but they live roughly an hour away from me so it's not like I can drop by there often enough to make it matter. I get the feeling that the programmers at Nintendo don't have enough experience in programming online games so they avoid it at all costs.

Yeah. I was actually shocked to hear that it didn't have online play. The game looks great and eventually I will probably get it anyway. Just a bit of wasted potential there. I'm sure the game is good though, just not as good as it could be. At least the local multiplayer will be good, as its predecessor on the Wii was a blast.

Thoughts on the new Mario welcome here. How would you compare it to quality of the Wii version? Does it make any strides, and would you consider it a valid purchase for someone who has played and mastered the Wii game?

It's a lot better than NSMBW. The level design is more spacious, satisfying and above all, accommodating for the multiplayer aspect. The Flying Squirrel Suit is the best jumping/flying powerup in any Mario sidescroller, because it manages to be satisfying like the Cape or the Tanooki Suit, but without giving you the ability to skip nine-tenths of the game. The boss fights are a bit more challenging (and harder to cheese), and the music is a bit better than NSMBW (though not by much, unfortunately). Oh, and the team in charge of the art clearly heard all the complaints about the New Super Mario Bros. series having drab art, because they kick it up a few notches in this game.

All in all, I'd say this entry is the best in the NSMB series, and definitely one of the best Mario sidescrollers.

I'd agree on most points with Bleck, but I wouldn't say it's one of the best Mario sidescrollers. It's a solid experience, but not one of the best for me. I wish the music was more lasting. Granted, I've only really played it together with buddies so I didn't have much time to listen to the music, but it sounded kind of generic to me.

The levels are much more spacious, and longer as well. However, for me, bosses are pretty simple (only played up until just after Iggy, so if they get harder, I wouldn't know). The levels are challenging enough for me though. I did notice that they used 16 bit Yoshi sounds in lieu of Yoshi's Story stuff, which was surprising given that the GBA port of Yoshi's Island did the opposite.

Edited by Calpis

I like NSMBU as a game but the soundtrack is kind of lacking, especially the rehashed castle/tower/ghost house/underground/water themes. Come to think of it, the only new music is probably the overworld theme and the map theme.

NSMBU is great but it could have been even better if they'd applied the same production values as say, Galaxy 2, especially in the area of soundtrack.

At the moment 'anything' that was on the original Wii will only work on the TV. I 'hope' they find a way to shift the view to the tablet, but it's not confirmed.

I really hope they do sort that :P

As for floor, not tried, but I was pleasantly surprised when I decided I needed a drink, took my tablet to the kitchen and carried on playing whilst the kettle boiled.

I only realized what i'd done 'after' I was back on the sofa, didn't occur to me at the time this was a momentous moment and something that was impossible before.

Gameplay SO immersive I don't have to pause to make a cup of tea :)

yeah, wii software won't work with the tablet controller. it's basically the same as gamecube games being incompatible with the wiimote; they aren't programmed to utilize technology that didn't exist at the time of the game's creation. yeah i suppose there could be an update to support it, but then it wouldn't exactly be a wii game.

then again, they've been pulling games from the Wii VC (like all three DKC games) so maybe they're just updating and rereleasing for Wii U VC in a format that WILL support the tablet and the Pro controller.

I usually take spring to be April 1 through June 30, not January 30 through April 29. I think Pikmin 3 will take about 2 months longer you expect, ocre. Personally, I think it'll take until June (the last month of Q2, and if you ask me, the last month of spring.)

To Mirby: It's my understanding that it's too expensive to run servers for both Wii and Wii U, so it would make sense if they were just moving Wii Virtual Console games to the Wii U's VC.

Edited by GTAHater836

Shigesato Itoi actually already said that if a Mother 4 game is made, he won't be involved with it. He said something about wanting to see the series made by someone else.

EDIT:

Don't wanna double-post, but I wanted to share this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/05/wii-u-revolutionizes-social-gaming

Really awesome article. I personally don't care for trophies/achievements so I think that's why I like the Miiverse system. It's not annoying, and I actually use it of my own free will because it's as non-intrusive as it can get.

Edited by Calpis

That wasn't a bashing of the Wii-U, just pointing out something rather.... stupid.

So "night" is only four hours long in Germany? Not say, 8 P.M. to 5 A.M.? And given that I seriously doubt you can only go to a brick and mortar game store to buy Diablo III between 11 P.M. and 3 A.M., I think it's a rather moronic "law."

Edited by The Coop