Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Ok I'm gonna be straight up and 100% honest with you guys here, so be gentle;

I won a Wii U on eBay yesterday. :3

It was listed as New, and is the Deluxe Set 32gb black one. It was a good $90 or so cheaper than the same is listed for on Amazon.

I messaged the seller to ask if it had Nintendo Land in it (which it SHOULD if it is truly a NEW as listed Deluxe Set) and he said, and I quote in full:

sorry, this set does not include the nintendo land game. my son has the wii u and nintendoland sucks anyways...recomended titles to pick up would be tekken tag 2, ninja gaiden 3, obviously super mario and zombie u rocks...thanks for the business and tis will ship out monday morning...please leave me positive feedback once youreciee so i know yougot the item and i willreturn the favor...thx again

So what am I supposed to think here? :<

Is this not new but actually USED or would someone open a new package to take Nintendo Land out? (Which would still make it not be new, technically)

Ok I'm gonna be straight up and 100% honest with you guys here, so be gentle;

I won a Wii U on eBay yesterday. :3

It was listed as New, and is the Deluxe Set 32gb black one. It was a good $90 or so cheaper than the same is listed for on Amazon.

I messaged the seller to ask if it had Nintendo Land in it (which it SHOULD if it is truly a NEW as listed Deluxe Set) and he said, and I quote in full:

So what am I supposed to think here? :<

Is this not new but actually USED or would someone open a new package to take Nintendo Land out? (Which would still make it not be new, technically)

It's obviously not new. I would be very cautious upon receiving it, and if it doesn't work I would register a complaint with Ebay and try to get your money back along any channels you can facilitate that. Good luck!

First, Capcom started charging premium fees for on-disc Downloadable Content, then Sony filed a patent for a device that cuts off used games, now Nintendo's selling Europe a damaged product! What has the video game industry come to, where they can just try and rip us off every chance they get?

It's obviously not new. I would be very cautious upon receiving it, and if it doesn't work I would register a complaint with Ebay and try to get your money back along any channels you can facilitate that. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, and no kidding :< I work hard for my money! I can't just throw it away. Good thing for eBay buyer protection, if this ends up being faulty and the dude fights me on getting a return. I gotta have hopes that it is legit though, I want to roam the Miiverse with ocre.

I'd be willing to bet that the PAL 50hz thing has some legal BS associated with it. Something like that version has already been approved to be released in that region.

I can assure you, I am not associated with it in any way.

Furthermore, this is a Europe only issue isn't it? So it doesn't really affect a lot of us here in the US, no offense. :-D Is the Wii U region locked so the Europeans wouldn't be able to play the US version? I don't know if 17% slower would be too noticeable, maybe it would, but maybe it would be better in a weird way. I'm sure they wouldn't release something that could be seen as inferior to another version. :3

I would have thought people in Europe would prefer the 50hz version since that's the version they would have played when they were younger. It's like if you grew up with Super Mario Bros on NES, and then one day found out you had been playing a version that was faster than it was supposed to be. Would you want to play the slower version you've never played, or the way you originally experienced it?

Furthermore, this is a Europe only issue isn't it? So it doesn't really affect a lot of us here in the US, no offense. Is the Wii U region locked so the Europeans wouldn't be able to play the US version? I don't know if 17% slower would be too noticeable, maybe it would, but maybe it would be better in a weird way. I'm sure they wouldn't release something that could be seen as inferior to another version. :3

It is inferior. No one disputes that. You can feel and see Balloon fight is broken in 50hz.

Europe, Australia, New zealand and a few others.

Go here and watch the videos, especially the Sonic one:

http://imburningout.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/nintendo-virtual-console-50-hz-matters.html

WiiU is region locked so we have no alternative. And trust me, alter the tempo of the music by 15% and you will notice it.

Also, nostalgia isn't that strong.

You weren't playing Super Mario too fast, you were playing it as its supposed to be played.

An analogy; you have a cheap car. You love it but one day someone buys yiu a Ferrari. After a few years you go back to your old car and realise just how bad it was. You didn't know 1st time around but you do now.

How would you feel?

Edited by Swifthom

I would have thought people in Europe would prefer the 50hz version since that's the version they would have played when they were younger. It's like if you grew up with Super Mario Bros on NES, and then one day found out you had been playing a version that was faster than it was supposed to be. Would you want to play the slower version you've never played, or the way you originally experienced it?

Maybe 1 in 10 would agree.

However Mr Iwata designed Balloon Fight in 60hz. Its the first game on the vc because he wants to share it with a new audience.

I dont have Blloon Fight as Mr Iwata intended it. What i'm playing is a pale imitation.

I dunno about you guys but the part about them making the dungeons not linear and 'bringing the series 'back to the basics' immediately puts the first Zelda game to mind.

Too bad Aonuma doesn't like the early Zelda games, so bringing things 'back to the basics' will probably mean something like making it more 'basic' (more hand-holding).

TP and SS, to me, show that Aonuma needs to let someone else take charge of a Zelda game.

If you tried to play a PAL game on your NTSC-U TV, there would be serious frame-skipping (every tenth frame), and the music would be glitched or played slower.

Or, there wouldn't be any color.

50hz has traditionally been the power output of European TVs, whereas 60hz was USA and Japan. Europe got a bum deal because compatibility issues are always out the ass. You would -know- if you were playing a 50hz game, because it would piss you off.

I've never played Wind Waker before (GASP!!) so I don't think I'd honestly know the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz.

I've been playing DmC at 23Hz. :/

And it's fluid and amazing looking.

I'm excited to play Wind Waker for the first time in HD remake form.

By the time of the gamecube most PAL games could run 60hz. Dont confuse this with choppy frames per seconds, its another issue entirely.

All i'm saying to people not affected by this is, what if Nintendo was forcing you to play a nerfed game. Seriously, look up the side by side comparison videos, it shows just how atrocious this is.

And this isn't just about refresh rates.

they slow everything down. Everything.

Including load times...

Edited by Swifthom

Since the refresh rates of the TVs across the two regions are different, the way color is actually programmed to display is dependent on a specific refresh-rate (50hz vs 60hz) - if you mess with that you won't get a normal picture.

A small, small number of PAL games contain both a 60hz and a 50 hz option, but those are really only a handful. Some TVs being manufactured today are being built to display both types, but they're not in the mainstream by far.

I don't know why everyone is excited for this. Has Aounuma ever lived up to the promise of "changing the Zelda formula in a meaningful way"?

this is a stupid thing to say, a) because why wouldn't they be excited, the last few zelda games made have ALL been critically acclaimed and well received by oh I dunno, everyone, and B) the gameplay in Twilight Princess was markedly different than any of the N64 games, and Wind Waker was even MORE markedly different. unless your definition of 'meaningful way' is turning it into skyrim, all you're doing is spouting filth and hyperbole from your mouth.

like seriously. the only way you can tell me that's not true is if you say 'i didn't like (insert wolf/boat/new items/new dungeon design comment here), it wasn't meaningful/they should have kept it the same.' in which case you're just being a complete hypocrite.

the reason things like this garner responses like this from me is you can't just throw out your opinion as the truth, and expect it to be acceptable, in any instance of life. clearly the zelda formula HAS been changed, in significant ways. if you don't like it, whatever. but you not thinking so does not make your comment correct or acceptable just because you said it as fact. that's what politicians do.

Edited by The Derrit

Sorry for being the uneducated one, but could someone please describe what's going on with all this Hz business? Or link an article?

http://imburningout.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/nintendo-virtual-console-50-hz-matters.html?m=1

My blog explains why we should be up in arms, not why it happens.

Please have a look at the videos, it all becomes much clearer when you see it.

Back in the day TV sets came in 2 entirely different systems. NSTC refreshes at 60 frames per second but only has a certain number of pixels. In Europe we have PAL, only 50 frames per second but more pixels - so a better resolution. There's issues converting back and forth (squashed images vs motion blurriness) but only minor stuff.

That is until video games came along. Rather than reprogram games designes for 60 fps, most publishes just slowed the entire game down. Until the Sega Dreamcast no European gamer ever played a full speed american/ Japanese developed game. Only a fEw were coded properly (Donkey Kong Country, made by Rare who are British) but there's a reason Europeans can be accused of being anti Nintendo. We aren't lying when we say they've always screwed us over.

Of course PAL tvs have been capable of running 60 fps since 1995, and since HD came along the whole thing is a non issue. Still, as we were screwed first time around, and Nintendo want to be authentic, we get screwed again.

Balloon Fight on the European Wii U runs approx 20% slower than it should. The music is slow, the animations are slow, the character moves slowly...

And chances are unless Nintendo acknowledge this is an issue, all NES,SNES, N64 games on the Wii U VC will follow suit. Look at my link to see the videos, and some side by side comparisons.

Programers on twitter have agreed, the 50hz thing was a bodge because at the time technology couldn't handle it. Now however, on a brand new 'superior' console, there really is no excuse.

EDIT: oh, and if anyones wondering, the upside for a nerfed frame rate is supposed to be a higher resolution image.

Back in the SNES days games just stuck bars at top / bottom of screen, squashing the whole game. So it runs slow and looks squashed.

Yay :)

EDIT 2: This also affected Sega Consoles (until the dreamcast) and the PS1.

It's something that was grin and bared before, but now Nintendo is overcharging us (on the international exchange rate a EU virtual console is approx 1.8 times the cost of 1 american purchase) for inferior goods.

And their only reason why is laziness.

There was grumbling about the Wii VC being 50hz, but nothing came of it. Now we have a HD console that is no better, and proof they really don't listen to their fans.

Edited by Swifthom

Well, I gots me one. The deluxe version with Ninty-land and SMBU. Pretty sweet. I played for over 4 hours last night. I won't be able to get it online until I get back home Friday. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I've heard about the update issue, so I'll be careful with that. But, are there any features that I want to take note of? I want to get the most out of the console. Also, the lady of the house is a tv nut. Are the services like Hulu pretty good?

I'll register my handle this weekend. Please add me when I do! :-P