Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

There's no difference in video quality it's still 480p with no upscaling or any change from the original wii version

So me suddenly being able to see items that are meant to be picked up and fully differentiating those items from flowers in the scenery (a problem I had with the Wii), and it being very much brighter and sharper has nothing to do with a switch from AV to HDMI cables.

Ok Brandon. Thanks.

So me suddenly being able to see items that are meant to be picked up and fully differentiating those items from flowers in the scenery (a problem I had with the Wii), and it being very much brighter and sharper has nothing to do with a switch from AV to HDMI cables.

Ok Brandon. Thanks.

nope! absolutely nothing! :tomatoface:

You just posted an article that states that Wii U is upscaling Wii games.

The Wii U doesn't upscale Wii games with component cables, but does upscale with HDMI cables.

The term "upscaling" shouldn't be confused with other terms like "uprender" or "re-render", however.

Regardless of which region your Wii U hails from, the actual source image of Wii games can't be re-rendered on the new console - and this is the key point to be aware of.

The terms "uprender" or "re-render" could involve the use of higher resolution textures and added anti-aliasing/smoothing to produce a visually improved image. These techniques are employed by Wii emulators, like Dolphin, to create a vastly superior image compared to the original Wii and what the Wii U can do.

Redoing all the assets within a game to better suit high definition is something that simply requires a great deal of work and better suited to a re-release or dedicated team of fans.

But what the Wii U is capable of doing, in theory, is applying a small amount of anti-aliasing to create a smoother image, but Nintendo isn't doing so with Wii games at the moment.

Why do Wii Games Look Better using HDMI?

Any game in theory should, using HDMI.

But looking specifically at Wii games in particular, using HDMI cables allow a digital signal to be transmitted from the Wii U console to the TV, where as older cables like component and composite transmit it an analogue format. Analogue has a varying rate and can degrade when the image and audio signals are zipped along the cable to the TV, where as digital is regarded as a far more consistent and practically loss-less format.

The improved signal with HDMI also has the potential to produce deeper colours, improved clarity in places which leads to a generally better picture when playing Wii games.

This is why Wii games over HDMI tend to look improved, but they are not a true HD image.

HDMI connectivity is certainly something to consider, if not insist on, when purchasing a TV/display for gaming and media playback. If the option is available, then without a doubt - HDMI cables should be used over component, and as for composite, perhaps used as decoration on a Christmas tree.

Edited by Brandon Strader

The Wii U doesn't upscale Wii games with component cables, but does upscale with HDMI cables.

The term "upscaling" shouldn't be confused with other terms like "uprender" or "re-render", however.

Regardless of which region your Wii U hails from, the actual source image of Wii games can't be re-rendered on the new console - and this is the key point to be aware of.

The terms "uprender" or "re-render" could involve the use of higher resolution textures and added anti-aliasing/smoothing to produce a visually improved image. These techniques are employed by Wii emulators, like Dolphin, to create a vastly superior image compared to the original Wii and what the Wii U can do.

Redoing all the assets within a game to better suit high definition is something that simply requires a great deal of work and better suited to a re-release or dedicated team of fans.

But what the Wii U is capable of doing, in theory, is applying a small amount of anti-aliasing to create a smoother image, but Nintendo isn't doing so with Wii games at the moment.

Why do Wii Games Look Better using HDMI?

Any game in theory should, using HDMI.

But looking specifically at Wii games in particular, using HDMI cables allow a digital signal to be transmitted from the Wii U console to the TV, where as older cables like component and composite transmit it an analogue format. Analogue has a varying rate and can degrade when the image and audio signals are zipped along the cable to the TV, where as digital is regarded as a far more consistent and practically loss-less format.

The improved signal with HDMI also has the potential to produce deeper colours, improved clarity in places which leads to a generally better picture when playing Wii games.

This is why Wii games over HDMI tend to look improved, but they are not a true HD image.

HDMI connectivity is certainly something to consider, if not insist on, when purchasing a TV/display for gaming and media playback. If the option is available, then without a doubt - HDMI cables should be used over component, and as for composite, perhaps used as decoration on a Christmas tree.

Yeah I read the article. Like I said, you posted an article that says that Wii U upscales Wii games. Yet somehow you're trying to prove that it doesn't?

I think people will take notice when the new Mario Kart drops this year. A refurbished Kart with a real online network, full video, full voice chat, true 1080p. Yeah, the Wii version has sold like 33 million globally, so if people don't care then, then maybe we have a problem. Throw in Nintendo's other ip with the same features, especially less-used ip like Star Fox and F-zero, people will take notice.

1080 p 16-player online Star Fox with voice chat and video? Yeah, people will give a crap. I know people who haven't touched a Nintendo product since the N64 who would buy that day one. So yeah, the Wii U is sucking pretty hard, but I'm holding on to mine as I get the feeling the company is starting to get it together. 3rd party support could still use a lot of work though, although I love how indie developers are gravitating to the system.

It doesn't upscale the Wii games above 480p, make it HD, or really change anything apart from the clearness lost by using inferior cables on the Wii.. how is it a true upscale?

It's rendering 480 video while the console runs in an HD resolution. It's inherently applying anti-aliasing to the image. It's upscaling the signal. That's what upscaling is.

The image will be sharper on HDTVs in 1080p even if its just upscaled from 480p. This is because a lot of HDTVs do not upscale internally very well, and they do even worse job with analog cables (which was the only option on Wii). Also if he was using standard composite that came with the console vs the superior component cables there would be a larger leap because average HDTVs really do not handle Composite signaling well at all either.

No, the game itself isn't being rendered in a higher resolution

Yes it is upscaled to higher resolution.

No it will not create a gigantic difference but being HDMI + upscaled will definitely make it look better on your average HDTV.

I wouldn't consider it Anti Aliasing per se, that enhances the original image, this just makes the image clear as possible and defeats bad upscaling from your TV. Its like... AntiTVAliasing.. or something!

Anywho, its the clearest picture you can get from Wii games outside of Emulation. (which you CAN rerender in higher resolutions)

Edited by Crowbar Man

Brandon. I was playing the game on the Wii when I bought the new console. I switched. I started playing the game again. CLEARLY THERE WAS A DIFFERENCE ENOUGH FOR ME TO SAY SOMETHING.

I never said "HOLY SHIT HD". I merely got excited at the difference. If an upscaled game looks so much better, I thought, holy cow I can't wait for an HD Wind Waker. Because seriously, I'm excited now that I've actually seen a difference.

You're trying to sound smart and 'educate' me when I already knew it wasn't true HD. This is why we can't have nice things, Brandon. Stop killing my buzz.

As a sidenote, I fixed the issue I had with my external hard drive not being recognized by the console to format it. I used one of my other external hard drives and it worked...I now have 1tb hooked up to my Wii U. BECAUSE LOL.

Edited by Irish
because I can.

summer releases, eh?

looks like we should expect news on Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, The Denpa Men 2, and possibly even Project X Zone and/or Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Also hopefully a more concrete release date for Shantae VC. And wasn't Shantae and the Pirate's Curse slated for a Summer 2013 release initially?

Oh I'm excited for Wii U stuff.

I just don't have one. Therefore naturally I'm more excited for 3DS stuff since I have one of those.

I don't see why I should be more excited for games on a system I lack than ones on a system I actually have. :P

edit: and i JUST now realized this was the Wii U thread. i tend to forget that when general Nintendo news is posted here. :/

Edited by Mirby

I tried playing The Last Story on the Wii U because of all you people saying it upscales but I was met with the same muddy image you'd see on the regular Wii. You guys must get excited over almost nothing. I AM DISAPPOINTED WITH YOU BOTH, AND NOW THE WII U AS WELL! SO CONGRATULATIONS!

Either you are expecting it to vomit rainbows and Call of Duty or maybe I am just excited over nothing. The difference may be small to you, but it was huge to me.

There. Difference of opinion. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!

also your opinions suck and most of the time are wrong anyway...

I tried playing The Last Story on the Wii U because of all you people saying it upscales but I was met with the same muddy image you'd see on the regular Wii. You guys must get excited over almost nothing. I AM DISAPPOINTED WITH YOU BOTH, AND NOW THE WII U AS WELL! SO CONGRATULATIONS!

Either you didn't understand your own articles you posted (upscaling does not make any graphical difference) or you aren't really looking close enough (you really really have to be looking for a difference). It is possible your TV didn't even cause bad internal upscale issues with your Wii, especially if you were using component 480p on both. Irish could of been using 480i with regular composite AV cables for his Wii for all we know (he hasn't mentioned what he was using on his old Wii). Heck its even possible your TV isn't even displaying a sharp enough image to begin with TO tell a difference. All is possible, but it really isn't that big of a deal either way. He noticed a difference, you may have not. There is a potential to see a sharper image depending on multiple factors.

Graphically, there isn't any difference.

Edited by Crowbar Man