Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Because it's old and like I said, you can get it cheaper both from online retailers and used. People would be more likely to spring for a used game than pay an unfair price. Quality is irrelevant.

Actually quality is always relevant. And not all games sell as low as Shadows of the Damned where they have to go in the discount bin by week 2. EA had to recoup costs and retailers had to eliminate stock so the price fell. That's what happens when no one buys your game.

In the case of New Super Mario Bros U, it was released alongside the Wii U because it was relatively easier and less costly to develop than something like Shadows of the Damned and can pay for its own development and bring in a nice profit too. 2D Mario sells (New Super Mario Bros on the DS sold for YEARS at full retail price.) Hence no price drop.

You're complaining about Nintendo not price-matching online retailers. Psh.

(EA) are probably one of the only developers who would have really brought something innovative to a Nintendo console...

Excuse me? EA? Are we living in the same universe? EA generally doesn't do anything innovative to begin with, how could they be the one of the only developers who could of brought something innovative to a Nintendo console?

Suda51 works with any publisher who is willing to pay for his games to be developed. He has never stuck with a single publisher. EA has only published ONE of his games. He can make more games on the Wii U even if EA never picks him up again (He is currently working on Killer is Dead, published by Xseed in the US. Not on Wii U yet, but Grasshopper hasn't made any Wii U games yet)

EDIT: Oh yeah not to mention some of Suda51's games were on Nintendo's platforms as exclusives until ported elsewhere (Killer 7 (GCN), No More Heroes 1 & 2 (Wii)) or hes ported a lot of his games to the DS. And none of those games were touched by EA

Also, Platinum Games is making a few exclusive games on the Wii U (Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101) if you like Suda' stuff their stuff is generally better and just as over the top. (I love Suda's crazy ideas, but generally his games don't turn out very well in the gameplay department)

As far as thei eShop, yeah that needs quite a bit of work. Their DRM system is very broke compared to others doing the same thing. It is a step in the right direction compared to the Wii. As far as the prices, unfortunately the big 3 (PSN/XBL/eShop) do not make their prices very cheap on their virtual stores, you won't see any great prices like you get on Steam or other digital stores

Edited by Crowbar Man

As far as the prices, unfortunately the big 3 (PSN/XBL/eShop) do not make their prices very cheap on their virtual stores, you won't see any great prices like you get on Steam or other digital stores

I think PSN is actually making good steps forward in this regard with their weekly sales; sometimes you find some pretty good games on there in the $5-15 range

Yeah PSN does seem the better out of the 3 in terms of pricing, especially if you get PSN+ its pretty awesome (free games!). Hoping they continue that with PS4 and the other 2 make their prices more competitive

Ocre : Yeah sums up Brandon's statements so far. Is he serious or is he trolling at this point?

Edited by Crowbar Man

I'm not going to discount the nice discounts (see what I did?) of PS+ for titles you buy, but as for the 'free' games/instant game collection titles, I think it's worth noting that they disappear as soon as you stop paying your monthly subscription.

And lets not forget that we(yeah, I have a PS3 too) won't be able to transfer our owned PSN game content over to the PS4, the deal gets a bit less sweet.

Brandon: You're right, I did tell you that, several months ago when websites were reporting it. Apparently they got it wrong.

Edited by ocre

It is unfortunate all your free goodies disappear when you stop subscribing. But discounts + free games + beta stuff + extra other stuff is still a pretty nice deal overall (Compared to MS who charges you just for the priveldge of online play and using your own services you've already paid for elsewhere **grumble grumble** . Cross chat and better servers, but :/)

As far as the content moving over to PS4 well, that too is unfortunate, but the PS4 is a completely different architecture. Going forward from PS4->PS5 is more than likely going to continue with x86 based processors, so this shouldn't be an issue next next gen. Hopefully at least!

I can almost garuntee that unless MS has some magic, XBLA games might not work on the next Xbox either (switching from PPC to x86). Guess we'll find out on Tuesday

Either way, all those services are STILL superior to the way the eShop works... next gen platform? You can't even move content over on the SAME platform without special magic/permission from Nintendo due to the content being completely tied to your console and not an account :/

I hope they fix that because it effects both the 3DS and the Wii U and holding many people back from touching their digital services, which have improved dramatically in their offerings and usability over the WiiWare/DSi Ware outing but still have this MAJOR flaw. Nintendo has mentioned in the future this might change, but for now it is what it is.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Now that right there is a pretty damn valid complaint!

Our purchases should definitely have been tied to our 'Nintendo Network' accounts. Total missed opportunity there and it's a big one because if your console stops working those games you downloaded are gone. Part of why I always go physical over digital on 3DS.

Speaking of EA... Have some lovely tweets that (former?) Senior SE and Architect of EA Games Bob Summerwill tweeted earlier today (and promptly removed along with any indication that he is affiliated with EA Games)

ngjiCSq.png

X9LtDTh.png

Source

Now all I have to say is...

Gen4 of consoles was the 16-bit era. You know, SNES, Genesis, etc.

Which EA actually DID support Nintendo during.

So not only does he hate the Wii U, but he also is a complete moron. Consoles didn't begin with the PS1, dumbass.

funny, already covered that topic here

And we already know Wii U is technically more capable than the Xbox 360 contrary to what most 360/PS3 to Wii U ports would indicate. Need for Speed Most Wanted (port was developed by Criterion and not some outsourced team) for instance makes use of higher resolution textures more in line with the PC version than the past gen "HD twins". Just an example of a more optimized port.

Ubisoft doesn't have a problem supporting Wii U (though the higher ups at the company ordered Rayman Legends go multiplatorm(understandable). They are doing Wii U versions of Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4 and more. Ubisoft know it takes time to build a userbase for any system and their employees have more respect (and common sense) than to publicly burn bridges with lies and childish insults.

Edited by ocre

Ill be buying a wiiU for one reason, and one reason alone, EARTHBOUND. Ya I dig the first party nintendo games, but I hardly ever play them. Any chance to support earthbound and in some vain hope influence them into bringing Mother and Mother 3 to the US I will happily do.

I have a feeling the only reason they discontinued their Online Pass program is because Sony/MS might have something similar up their sleeve next gen for all games by default (Sony already does something similar on a few games)

I wouldn't count on it being out of the goodness of their hearts yet.

Edited by Crowbar Man

I have a feeling the only reason they discontinued their Online Pass program is because Sony/MS might have something similar up their sleeve next gen (Sony already does something similar on a few games)

I wouldn't count on it being out of the goodness of their hearts yet.

Yeah, was just about to post that that's what some rumors are buzzing about.

On the thread topic, I find it kind of funny that Nintendo doesn't understand that all they had to do to ensure health for the Wii U launch is put a main series Pokémon game on it (I know, I know. "Pokémon games are for portable devices." "GameFreak doesn't know how to make 3D games.").

Edited by ocre