Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

All Nintendo would have to do is... I dunno, make it, or something. They don't need the original creator to continue it. I mean look at Square Enix.

i agree with you in some cases but it takes a special type of crazy to mastermind an earthbound game it wouldn't be the same if they just slapped some familiar names on it and said HEY MOTHER 4

I have no skin in the game either way, but I found this to be an interesting article, as someone who runs a brand...

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/05/18/wii-u-two-years-of-negative-brand-momentum/

It makes a strong point. The WiiU has been surrounded with negativity since years before their release, partially because of the negativity surrounding the original Wii over the last few years. Regardless of the merits of the system, its games, etc., it's hard to argue that the WiiU is in a very bad place when it comes to branding, both in and out of the industry. Nintendo needs to seriously rethink the way they are marketing and pitching the system.

I have no skin in the game either way, but I found this to be an interesting article, as someone who runs a brand...

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/05/18/wii-u-two-years-of-negative-brand-momentum/

It makes a strong point. The WiiU has been surrounded with negativity since years before their release, partially because of the negativity surrounding the original Wii over the last few years. Regardless of the merits of the system, its games, etc., it's hard to argue that the WiiU is in a very bad place when it comes to branding, both in and out of the industry. Nintendo needs to seriously rethink the way they are marketing and pitching the system.

What still confuses me is, they put all this effort into the social features of the system...but they're only social within users of the system. The idea of viral marketing and social proof (Facebook Like, Google +1, Shares in general) is for users to share their experience with other users in their social circles and hopefully increase social awareness which in turn will hopefully increase the userbase. By having a social network that exists exclusively for other people who already own the console seems...inane.

And THEN going as far as to take down Let's Play videos. I mean...which one of my friends own a Wii U and/or have shared something from in-game? Heck if I know!

Social media marketing they are not.

They're not taking down videos. They're just adding ads and claiming the revenue (which morally is questionable on its own).

But they aren't taking them down. Any videos that were removed after Nintendo started doing this was the choice of those who made the videos in the first place. But Nintendo hasn't had any taken down.

They're not taking down videos. They're just adding ads and claiming the revenue (which morally is questionable on its own).

But they aren't taking them down. Any videos that were removed after Nintendo started doing this was the choice of those who made the videos in the first place. But Nintendo hasn't had any taken down.

And even then, they've only done anything to videos of Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario 2, and New Super Mario Wii U.

You can assume whatever you want.

Just like the uninformed people saying Nintendo are taking down videos(or imposing copyright strikes) assume that to be true and are wrong. I'm pretty sure Nintendo know what they have to do (release games people want) to make people aware of Wii U. It's hard to be percieved in a positive light when you have almost every media outlet painting every piece of Wii U bad news as the doom of the company.

As for Miiverse not letting you share your posts with Facebook or Twitter, there's some merit to the criticism.

For example, I like to draw on Miiverse and then I have to take a few extra steps to share those drawings with my friends on twitter. One point in Nintendo's favor is that they recently opened up Miiverse to be accessible on the web from a computer or smartphone. So it's basically another social network now (though you do still have to register an account on a Wii U system). Anyway, now that it is on the web, you can share things more easily across social networks (and Miiverse has seen many many changes since te system launched. I'm sure we will see more that open up more sharing possibilities.)

Edited by ocre

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/GregLastowka/20130517/192424/All_Your_Nintendo_Lets_Plays_Are_Belong_To_Nintendo.php

Here's a decent article by a dude who actually has some professional knowledge about the sort of issues surrounding it, weighing in on reasons why Nintendo flexed their muscle the way they did.

It is worth noting, Nintendo has always been extremely careful about Mario's representation. Charles Martinet has said he never ever says anything crass or "out of character" in the Mario voice, ever. There was the whole bit with Wreck-It Ralph a while back, as well. Nintendo realizes how big an icon Mario is, and goes through extremely great lengths to maintain his image and iconic status.

It's just never really been that big an issue until this thing.

Edited by Lyrai

(release games people want)

The major problem with the WiiU is that Nintendo has done precisely the opposite of this.

I'm sure several of you are excited for Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 and all, but no one bought those games to begin with, so why all the money and/or dev-time sunk in to them?

I'm sure several of you are excited for Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 and all, but no one bought those games to begin with

I'm... not really sure what you mean by that. Either no one bought games that haven't come out yet (which is nonsensical) or no one bought the previous games in those series (which is untrue)?

For comparison Tomb Raider sold about 3 million copies (more than Wii U itself) and Tomb Raider was considered a disappointment.

That is potentially an entirely different discussion about cost of production, market penetration, etc.

If something costs $10, and they sell $10 at 1 dollar, that's a disappointment. If something costs $2 and they sell 10 at 1 dollar, than that's not so bad.

Whether or not something is successful is going to be based on ROI, regardless of what the number of sales is, and there's a LOT of factors in that.

tl;dr: SE saying TR is a disappointment is irrelevant.

we already know SE sets unfairly high sales goals and never meets them because they're so high

which is part of the reason they're restructuring and stuff.

but yeah, topic for another discussion.

so... yeah..

Mutant Mudds Deluxe was resubbed to Nintendo after they sent it back requesting a few fixes; still looks good for a June release.

So even Nintendo tells people NO (resub)

So apparently some company is pitching another crowd-funded endeavor for Wii U. Looks kinda cool.

Actually, it's just Nintendo of America's genius KickStarter parody ad for Game & Wario (which will retail for $ 39.99 on June 23). Pretty dang funny cause not only does it make fun of KickStarter but also the people who start KickStarters that don't even need the money (Wario is rich).

Edited by ocre

Bayonetta: 1.35m copies Worldwide by March 31, 2012

Pikmin: 1.18m copies worldwide to-date, approx.

Only source I can find for Pikmin 2 is VGChartz and they're about as trustworthy as EA. They claim 1.6m copies worldwide, counting both GCN and Wii New Play Control.

As far as Bayonetta goes, I would say that's a pretty good total for a brand new franchise by a Japanese developer these days.