Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

I haven't really been following Nintendo but I hear that their E3 showing for the Wii U is not very strong. Do you agree or disagree?

Disagree. Just in the direct, they showed off:

Mario 3D World

Mario Kart 8

Bayonetta 2

Super Smash Brothers

Wonderful 101

DKC: Tropical Freeze

Monolith Soft's new game

Wind Waker HD

No real surprises or anything here, but that's still a very solid lineup.

Not to mention Pikmin 3 and Yarn Yoshi on the way. I'm probably forgetting some things, too.

As far as new announcement stuff, not strong IMO, but Wonderful 101 still looks cool as does WWHD.

Tropical Freeze really caught me though. Mario Kart looks good but didn't blow my mind or anything.

I think I'm using Watch Dogs and Destiny as benchmarkers. They really kind of blew my mind and nothing Nintendo showed came close.

Since when has Nintendo cared about looks. Expecting mindblowing graphics out of a Nintendo game is like expecting a walrus to fly. You can wait all you want, but you're better off enjoying it for what it is than for what it isn't.

That said, I'm really looking forward to a lot of things announced. Those Developer Directs revealed a lot too. :3

I haven't really been following Nintendo but I hear that their E3 showing for the Wii U is not very strong. Do you agree or disagree?

if by 'strong' you mean 'new star fox' then yes I agree it wasn't very strong

if by 'strong' you mean 'brownshoots' then get out

Can't agree with it not being strong. I think Nintendo easily had the best showing at E3. Outside of a few notable exceptions (Watch Dogs, Rayman Legends, The Evil Within KH3, MGSV, etc) everybody elses' showing was a lot of bombastic long winded CG/FMV trailers without even showing gameplay or if they did it was rather boring gameplay. Mostly FPS and racers too which bore me to death these days.

Worst part about all the Non-Nintendo showings: The best looking/most exciting games shown at E3 were multiplatform (Watch Dogs, KH3, MGSV, The Evil Within, Rayman, etc), some even on PC. Heck, Watch Dogs/Rayman are some of the few 3rd party games coming to the Wii U as well, and they are old hat by now (shown a few e3s ago). So out of the big 3, Nintendo was the only one really showing exclusives

Disappointed no price drop but its still early. Good games finally, but without a price drop its going to be rough fighting against a $400 PS4 this holiday season (or 360/PS3 for that matter)

Edited by Crowbar Man

I agree. They've got a handful of games coming out this year but nothing that's really too appealing... nothing about new Wii U Zelda at all, they probably should have covered that. The best stuff coming to Wii U this year is multi-platform, like DuckTales remaster. Out of the list Dexie posted, the only ones that really seem like must-haves are Smash Bros and Wind Waker HD. So I'd say no, it wasn't strong at all... it was so weak I think they made a good decision to just release it separately from E3.

Pikmin 3

Bayonetta 2

Wonderful 101

Zelda Wind Waker HD

Mario Kart 8

Super Smash Bros

DKC: Tropical Freeze

Super Mario 3D World

Xenoblade 2

Super Luigi U

None of those games excite you Brandon (Outside of Smash/Zelda HD)? Why did you even get a Wii U? These games are EXACTLY why you'd buy a Nintendo product. If none of these got you excited, you really did make a poor choice purchasing the Wii U.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Yeah. I don't see the complaints either. Nintendo showed footage of more titles than they have at any E3......ever. Usually it's a couple of titles per system, a drawing of a sword or something, and Miyamoto flailing his arms around. This time, they skipped all the corporate "this is how much money we make" drivel. They just showed a bunch of games, and let people play them.

I'm absolutely ecstatic about playing the games they showed. Yes, I would've liked to see Starfox, Metroid and F-Zero but Nintendo can't release all their ponies at once. Still, after this E3, I am very glad I bought a Wii U.

Dude.

Chargin' Chuck returns in Super Mario 3D World.

CHARGIN' CHUCK

ANGLJENAGLKENAGLKHLKAEHGLKEAHGLKEHAGLKEHAKLGE

seriously that guy hasn't been seen since SMW. i only hope that he'll inexplicably throw baseballs or shovel dirt despite full football attire just like old times.

Frog suit confirmed as well. They need online multi though. Still going to get the game and play it to death though.

Since when has Nintendo cared about looks. Expecting mindblowing graphics out of a Nintendo game is like expecting a walrus to fly. You can wait all you want, but you're better off enjoying it for what it is than for what it isn't.

1. Watch Dogs and Destiny had more than looks going for it. They were showstoppers because they were all-around good.

2. Nintendo cares about looks. Obviously not in the sense of photorealism but LoZ's constantly changing style is proof. Wind Waker's "look" blew my mind at its E3 showing way back when. I think you're an experienced enough gamer to know "photorealism" does not equal "graphics."

I don't think it was remotely possible for Nintendo to look strong at E3, considering that their competitors were unveiling their new consoles.

The only way Nintendo could have "won" E3 would be if they had announced that the Wii U was getting a price drop down to $149. Also, the Nintendo 3DS would now cost $99. Starting tomorrow. And of course, early adopters would receive 10 free games.

1. Watch Dogs and Destiny had more than looks going for it. They were showstoppers because they were all-around good.

2. Nintendo cares about looks. Obviously not in the sense of photorealism but LoZ's constantly changing style is proof. Wind Waker's "look" blew my mind at its E3 showing way back when. I think you're an experienced enough gamer to know "photorealism" does not equal "graphics."

The graphics for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. amazed me. I thought it was prerendered videos. I was astounded by the improvement since their last console releases.

I only meant that as in "don't expect super photorealistic graphics out of every single thing on the system"

mostly because a lot of nintendo properties (like Mario) would look weird with those.

i'm actually quite excited for Watch_Dogs.

I've never expected photorealism from Nintendo. What I do expect is a striking style like Journey's or WW though. I didn't like TP as a game but I'm a huge fan of its crazy style.

None of their games pushed that boundary and instead went with the same line of thinking that first conceived in Galaxy and finally realized in Nintendo Land. It's a plastic cartoonish look that, for me, has overstayed its welcome.

I agree Smash and Kart look great, by the way. Smash is definitely the best it's ever looked, def the game that overhauled its style the most.

I agree Smash and Kart look great, by the way. Smash is definitely the best it's ever looked, def the game that overhauled its style the most.

Definitely. I thought the Mario Kart gameplay was pre-rendered video, but I was amazed when I finally (after like a minute) figured out it was the actual gameplay.

And yeah, Smash Bros. was crazy good as well. Pumped for Mega Man and I seriously can't wait to get a kick out of Wii Fit Trainer. That's just going to make me laugh. The graphical improvements seriously like change the look of each character, though. Link still looked like Link, but the graphics made him look so much different. It was rather cool.