Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

To back your point, Chargin' Chuck originated in Super Mario World, and we haven't seen him since... until now, in 3D World.

I almost forgot about the fact that Chargin' Chuck is appearing in this game.:) I wonder what else they'll add into the game. Nintendo is really innovative.

back to wii U. yeah.

I think that the Wii U will do extremely well; because of it's price, and because of the games on it. I think that Nintendo will take the opportunity that Wii U presents, and will come out with some amazing games in the future. They've already done so, and it hasn't even been out for a year yet! :-D

Wii U needs a price drop like nobody's business, I have a feeling it'll either happen when the new consoles launch later this year or before that, as some incentive to buy a Wii U instead of the critically acclaimed PS4.

Why the choice not to support online multiplayer in Super Mario 3D World?

Mr. Hayashida: I think that we’ve always wanted to focus on being able to see the other players around you. I always thought that was fun

FAIL.

they just lost a sale

Edited by Brandon Strader

Wii U needs a price drop like nobody's business, I have a feeling it'll either happen when the new consoles launch later this year or before that, as some incentive to buy a Wii U instead of the critically acclaimed PS4.

FAIL.

they just lost a sale

What?

That sounds like a very admirable goal, playing in a room of friends is a much nicer image than playing with a bunch of random fools online shouting obscenities down microphones?

That's always been the goal of the Wii U, to bring people together and play. Sure it might not be the same case for big third party games (Black Ops had online multiplayer yeah?) but I imagine most of Nintendo's first party games will aspire to achieve that goal.

Though I'm sure some among this community may have behavior that can qualify as "salty" I hardly think you're in a position to claim that all of it is, nor do I think you are representative of the entire OCR gaming community.

I for one am glad they're not adding online multiplayer; not every single game needs it. Plus, there were complaints of input lag earlier with offline play; there'd be far too many complaints of that with online play.

I hardly think there should be online play just for the sake of online play.

EA's currently policy I hear.

And anything to distance from them is good.

Yes! EA has such bad ideas and Call of Duty doesn't sell at all and is bad! Nintendo should do the exact opposite of the Call of Duty franchise! Oh wait, they already do. It's 2013, not having online multiplayer is just ridiculous and yet another outdated concept. Nintendo's goal should be to make EVERY GAME as good as it can possibly be for everyone who will be playing them.

Yes! EA has such bad ideas and Call of Duty doesn't sell at all and is bad! Nintendo should do the exact opposite of the Call of Duty franchise! Oh wait, they already do. It's 2013, not having online multiplayer is just ridiculous and yet another outdated concept. Nintendo's goal should be to make EVERY GAME as good as it can possibly be for everyone who will be playing them.

I've barely played anything on a console online and I've had a great gaming experience so far. In fact most of the time when I went online I found it a detrimental experience.

Yeah, I don't really think "I prefer same-screen multiplayer to online multiplayer" is a legitimate reason to not include the latter. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and sometimes you can't be in the same room as someone you want to play with. Like if they live across the country, or you know them through an online community rather than having met them face-to-face.

For me, it depends whether or not you have available gamers close by. Up until my late 20's, there was almost always someone to game with, so I didn't care about online multiplayer. Nowadays, though, I prefer to have it there if needed, as most of my gamer friends have grown up / had kids / moved away.. It won't be a deal-breaker for me, and it's not the most important thing in the world for a Mario adventure/action game, but it would've been nice. Four-player local multi in a 3d Mario game is still pretty cool though, and I can't wait to have some Mario Kart matches with ocr folk. I think it would be nice if we could have our own racing group.

Call of Duty is published by EA? News to me.

I couldn't care less about Super Mario 3D World not having online multiplayer. If it did, I wouldn't use it anyway. That's just one of those games where it's best played with friends in real life.

I'm with Megadave. I really would've liked online multiplayer because all my gaming friends are too far away/assholes who don't want to hang out in-person anymore. You don't want the possibility of a laggy multiplayer experience? Play local multiplayer. For the rest of us, it's the only multiplayer possibility anymore. I get the feeling Nintendo uses that same "We really like the in-person multiplayer experience" excuse to get out of putting in the time and effort it takes to make that portion of the game.

I'm with Megadave. I really would've liked online multiplayer because all my gaming friends are too far away/assholes who don't want to hang out in-person anymore. You don't want the possibility of a laggy multiplayer experience? Play local multiplayer. For the rest of us, it's the only multiplayer possibility anymore. I get the feeling Nintendo uses that same "We really like the in-person multiplayer experience" excuse to get out of putting in the time and effort it takes to make that portion of the game.

I feel the same way, man.

And honestly, I've played enough twitch games over WiFi to know that online multiplayer is highly possible without game-destroying lag. Heck, I started out with Counter-Strike over dialup. It wasn't the best but it never bothered me until decades later when I finally got DSL and realized what "twitch" meant. But so many people had dialup back then it wasn't such a big issue. I now have 50mbps Cable and usually have a ping of anywhere between 20 to 60 depending on the server.

I think another side of it is that Nintendo servers have always been notoriously slow. Even with my 50mbps it took like 4 hours to update the Wii U when I first got it. I'm someone who can download like 2gb in 30 minutes, so that's just not good on their part.

If you CAN'T provide a good online service..... chop out online capability. It seems like Nintendo's stance is to not even bother trying. But as mentioned already, it doesn't look like they put a considerable amount of effort into 3D World.

I'm really hoping Nintendo steps up their online for their upcoming games. Mario Kart Wii had the best online they could've made while they had all the friend-code BS, and Brawl was the worst of their online. MK Wii was, still is, nearly lag free. I expect little to no lag this time around, and I bet the new MK will have good online, but I want them to bring it to other games. If they release Starfox, Metroid, and/or F-Zero with online battles and races with fully-fleshed features (co-op, versus, leaderboards, clans, etc.), you bet your ass that people will take notice.

If they don't then even this lifelong Nintendo fan will facepalm. I love Nintendo, loved their E3 games, but am really expecting a true online experience this generation. I think the company will win back many lapsed fans if they step it up.

Kotaku just posted this article. I know, I know: nobody likes them anymore. However, it's got an interesting quote from Fils-Aime in there regarding the gap between Wii and Wii U sales:

Wasn't the Wii, I asked Fils-Aime, far ahead of where the Wii U is right now? It had Wii Sports. It played an ace card right away.

"I think it's inaccurate to use the word 'far'," he said. "If you look at it from a U.S. perspective, this point in time vs. where we were with the Wii life stage, there's a difference of about 1 to 1.5 million units. Over a potential lifespan over 40 million-plus units, that's not a lot." Based on Nintendo's public sales stats, the gap is even tighter than that, with 2.37 million Wiis sold by the end of March 31, 2007 in the Americas and 1.52 million Wii Us sold by March 31 of this year, both consoles having launched in the prior November. The Wii, of course, was out of stock everywhere. The Wii U has been struggling through a soon-to-be-ending software drought.

I tend to believe that the Wii U doom and gloom theorists are blowing things out of proportion, so this helps that out a little bit. Any thoughts?

Kotaku just posted this article. I know, I know: nobody likes them anymore. However, it's got an interesting quote from Fils-Aime in there regarding the gap between Wii and Wii U sales:

I tend to believe that the Wii U doom and gloom theorists are blowing things out of proportion, so this helps that out a little bit. Any thoughts?

A rougher economy has to be taken into account as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had a decent job and the ability to just waltz into a store to pick up a Wii back then, but can't say the same today.

There are also those who wanted to wait until details for all of this current console generation to be detailed before making a decision. Some might even wait until all three consoles are released. Wii U sales jumped quite a bit when the Xbox One was announced.

I tend to believe that the Wii U doom and gloom theorists are blowing things out of proportion

these are the same people who thought the Wii - the best selling console of last generation - was going to bomb because it didn't have any 'hardcore' games