Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

lol in the long run it actually sold more than both PS3 and 360
these are the same people who thought the Wii - the best selling console of last generation - was going to bomb because it didn't have any 'hardcore' games

just in case clarification was needed

It sold in tons of nursing homes purely for Wii bowling.

That's, not true....

Nintendo sells because it's family oriented. They always have been, right from the start.

They're also extremely innovative. Every console that they've made has featured a new design for their controller.

Off-TV play is also something that I like, because it takes into consideration that there is often more than one person who will use the TV in households around the World. (Also, it's family oriented, and it looks fun :)).

Edit:

The Wii sold because of the gimmicky controllers and a promise of quality motion gaming that was barely delivered on, depending on what you're into.

If the Wii had such gimmicky controllers, then why did the Playstation come out with this? :lol:

78px-PlayStation-Move-in-Hand.jpg (Wii would like to copy).

Edited by Cosmic Sounds

The official site for the Nintendo Wii (http://www.nintendo.com/wii) says this:

"Wii is more

than a game machine.

Wii is social and active entertainment

that brings the whole family together.

Power-up your family game night with the Wii™ system."

Brandon, you made it sound as if the Wii was only successful because it sold in nursing homes. It sounded this way because it followed your sentence (which sounded negative) about "gimmicks" being the reason as to why it sold.

I was simply stating that Nintendo aims to be family oriented :), and is where most of their sales come from.

The goal of selling to families is even stated by Shigeru Miyamoto here, for the Wii U: http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/43651/wii-u-can-unite-families-miyamoto/.

Edited by Cosmic Sounds

The Wii sold because of the gimmicky controllers and a promise of quality motion gaming that was barely delivered on, depending on what you're into. It sold in tons of nursing homes purely for Wii bowling.

Meanwhile, a massive chunk of the Xbox 360's numbers can be chalked up re-releases and replacing RROD'd systems.

Sure, the Wii sold a lot because it looked great. Heck, for the first few years, it WAS great. I thought the console was killer. But once other great games started releasing for the PS3 and 360, and ports for all three systems were always better on the PS3 and 360, the Wii started to look like a fail. I think their biggest "no no" with their console was throwing in the same graphics card as the GCN. Like, really? After you saw that both the PS3 and 360 are capable of HD graphics and you guys put in the same graphics card you used for your last system? That was a little pathetic.

But listen, when you've got Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Twilight Princess, NSMB Wii (before it got old), Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros. Brawl, and even in the early days with Wii Sports, I think that the Wii was worth my time. It may not be as great as the other two consoles technically speaking and third-party gaming-wise, but when it came to first-party games, Nintendo did quite well.

Unfortunately the games for the Wii U look more like Nintendo is saying "well gee guys this stuff worked last time so I guess let's just do it again and put a different name on the box". Come on, Nintendo, please don't be pulling infinityward stunts.

On the bright side, the games they've announced nevertheless look fun. I just was disappointed I didn't see anything brand new (the site of MK8 and Smash Bros. 4 made me quite happy, though).

I think Brandon is trying to let everyone know he doesn't like Nintendo--at least not for the past 7 years. That's what I'm getting from his statements lately. :-P

Brandon, you made it sound as if the Wii was only successful because it sold in nursing homes.

That's not what I said, but ok.

I think Brandon is trying to let everyone know he doesn't like Nintendo--at least not for the past 7 years. That's what I'm getting from his statements lately. :-P

I like Nintendo, I'm just disappointed with their constant string of terrible decisions.

I like Nintendo, I'm just disappointed with their constant string of terrible decisions.

I can agree with that, especially with the Wii U now, but the decisions made during the Wii era were really not all that bad. I still think their golden years (in my opinion) were from SNES to GameCube. Sure the NES was really successful, but it's probably because I didn't grow up with it and I wasn't born during the time NES was big.

So who downloaded Super Luigi U? It follows the same routes and stuff as NSMBU, but the levels are way intense. You get 99 seconds, and star coins often involve split-second decision making and reflexes, or else you won't have enough time left on the clock to make it to the end.

Sadly the bosses are the exact same. Ah well, can't have everything.

So who downloaded Super Luigi U? It follows the same routes and stuff as NSMBU, but the levels are way intense. You get 99 seconds, and star coins often involve split-second decision making and reflexes, or else you won't have enough time left on the clock to make it to the end.

Sadly the bosses are the exact same. Ah well, can't have everything.

is it fun?

I can agree with that, especially with the Wii U now, but the decisions made during the Wii era were really not all that bad. I still think their golden years (in my opinion) were from SNES to GameCube. Sure the NES was really successful, but it's probably because I didn't grow up with it and I wasn't born during the time NES was big.

Not to get too far off topic, but the NES was huge. It was the Playstation of it's generation. It completely trounced all of the competition, had a massive library, and single-handedly turned the entire industry around.

The NES was released in the same year as the Atari 5200 and the Commodore 64 to give you some perspective on that. They were ALL the same generation of console. It was then followed up immediately by SNES.

If anything was the "Golden Age" for Nintendo, it was NES to SNES, or maybe NES to N64, but seeing as N64 got 0 Metroid Titles and 1 flagship Mario title followed up by like 8 Mario Partys, I'd say the former.

Seriously though what was that dinosaur robot tank game? Because I approve of anything that has all three of those things.

Monolith's next game (Project name is just "X", they made the "Xeno" series, this looks like a spiritual successor to XenoBlade, if not just XenoBlade 2)

If you haven't seen the full trailer

Edited by Crowbar Man

Not to get too far off topic, but the NES was huge. It was the Playstation of it's generation. It completely trounced all of the competition, had a massive library, and single-handedly turned the entire industry around.

The NES was released in the same year as the Atari 5200 and the Commodore 64 to give you some perspective on that. They were ALL the same generation of console. It was then followed up immediately by SNES.

If anything was the "Golden Age" for Nintendo, it was NES to SNES, or maybe NES to N64, but seeing as N64 got 0 Metroid Titles and 1 flagship Mario title followed up by like 8 Mario Partys, I'd say the former.

I thought the same thing. You took the words out of my mouth though. The NES to SNES was amazing, and only Sega could pose a remote threat during those years.. I don't mean to discredit the later consoles, but yeah, it was the golden age if there was one. I like the N64 but imo that was the dawn of the Sony age. I don't know what you would call this age though. Maybe the WTF age? Anyway....

Monolith's next game (Project name is just "X", they made the "Xeno" series, this looks like a spiritual successor to XenoBlade, if not just XenoBlade 2)

If you haven't seen the full trailer

Am I the only one who got a really, really strong, last-quarter-of-FFXIII-vibe off of the actual gameplay portions of this?

Rightrightrightrightright I know. That's what I'm saying. NES was a huge deal and I'm completely aware of that.

I'm simply stating what I felt to be the golden years, because I grew up with N64-GameCube (I guess I could say SNES to GameCube, but not as much).

Also, even though there was only one main title Mario for N64, it also was a HUGE success and they were working on Mario 64 2, but that didn't happen.