Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

They just showed Super Mario 3D World on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon

"The big innovation of this game is the cat suit"

"HOW CUTE IS THAT!"

I hate how that's the ONLY thing that they consider an "innovation" in the game. Sure, new powerups are awesome and I'm always excited to see what the next one will be, but seriously? That's it? That's all you've added? Ugh.

I noticed that as well. Though I did like that Reggie pointed to the console and mentioned that it is an all new console - something he failed to communicate before. I still like Reggie. Dude's awesome. Cammie Dunaway, man she was bad...though I felt sorry for her.

I hate how that's the ONLY thing that they consider an "innovation" in the game. Sure, new powerups are awesome and I'm always excited to see what the next one will be, but seriously? That's it? That's all you've added? Ugh.

Yeah, that's it :D

I noticed that as well. Though I did like that Reggie pointed to the console and mentioned that it is an all new console - something he failed to communicate before.

Technically it's not "all new" from the last time he showed it on Fallon a year ago in 2012 XD HE LIES!!!!! Muahaha.

the reason i hate this line of reasoning is literally the only thing added from super mario bros. 3 to super mario world (considered like the two best mario games, of all time by plenty of people) was the addition of the cape and the spin jump. and the cape was only slightly different from the raccoon suit.

the reason i hate this line of reasoning is literally the only thing added from super mario bros. 3 to super mario world (considered like the two best mario games, of all time by plenty of people) was the addition of the cape and the spin jump. and the cape was only slightly different from the raccoon suit.

and Yoshi,

and multiple routes and multiple goal lines to end the levels,

and the ability to scroll the camera to peek at the level without moving,

and the ability to hold a second powerup in case you lost your first one,

and the ability to save games

and the exclamation blocks that can literally alter entire levels

Yeah, you're right, SMB3 and SMW are totally the same.

Edited by Cerrax

Yeah, I'd suggest playing Super Mario World again Derrit. There are tons of new things added to the game, the cape is probably the least impressive.

I would consider the 4 player co-op in a 3D environment to be the biggest innovation here since it hasn't been done yet in the Mario series. Also, first time Peach is playable in 3D :) And first time that she uses Mario style power ups!

Also, while I dont know why they couldn't of tinted the clear pipes green, the clear pipes give an interesting twist on an old standby, in that you can control the navigation in the pipes (a first) and enemies are roaming inside of them.

The Cat suit is pretty interesting though in that you can temporarily climb up the sides (both vertically and sideways, though vertically is much faster) of walls, along with faster running speed (i think), claw attack, and an areal to ground attack that isn't a strait drop down like the butt stomp (does this home in like Sonic? I don't know if anybody has mentioned if it does or not yet).From what I've heard/read several people who thought the Cat suit was dumb quickly changed their mind after playing the demo.

There is some interesting stuff here, nothing on the level of 3/World/64/Sunshine/Galaxy (for those who keep insisting its a part of those) but some cool stuff at least

I really really really hope they add a SMW/NSMB style map you can explore and multiple exit paths, because 3D Land was sorely lacking in this area

Wonder if we need our own Mario 3D World thread at this point

EDIT: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44192

In Depth Mario 3D World discussion can safely go here now!

Also, by "new console" hes trying to reiterate that the Wii U is a new console compared to the Wii, since there is still some confusion lingering even over a half a year later.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Yeah I think saying SMB3 and SMW are almost the same thing is quite a large exaggeration.

I mean, heck, just a change as simple as 8-bit to 16-bit totally changed a lot. It made it feel like a whole other world, honestly. And yes, I'm aware they remade SMB3 in the 16-bit format. But not in 1991, I don't think.

But when going from 3DS to Wii U, not a particularly big difference. It's basically the same thing just now on a bigger screen that's HD and a new powerup which makes you act like a cat. Really special.

Nevertheless, it honestly looks fun and I don't own 3D Land (because I don't have a 3DS), so I may as well go get it, since I'm planning to get a Wii U.

I'm a home console guy. I've never cared enough for handheld systems.

and how do you propose they do that

Exactly.

A change like that would be glorious, though I seriously don't know what they'd do.

Technology with gaming was moving so fast at that time. We were constantly learning new things and new ways to make things look better dramatically. 16-bit to 64-bit was another HUGE jump and 64-bit to stuff like PS2 or GameCube was another huge jump.

Slowly but surely, though, it has slowed down because trying to graphically enhance things by a ton is just not easy anymore. We've been stacking big boxes to the ceiling and we've been climbing them each new generation, but by this point we've pretty much hit the ceiling. There isn't really all that much more we can do in that area.

I'm waiting for holographic gaming. xP

and how do you propose they do that

It was like when they made Super Mario Galaxy

It was like when they used to make games that weren't the same as previous games

It's not up to me to give them ideas on how to creatively evolve. But it wouldn't hurt if they tried to make a new IP instead of new versions of existing games.

It was like when they made Super Mario Galaxy

It was like when they used to make games that weren't the same as previous games

It's not up to me to give them ideas on how to creatively evolve. But it wouldn't hurt if they tried to make a new IP instead of new versions of existing games.

Oh I see what you're saying.

Yeah I was hoping they'd do that too. Ugh.

They make new IPs all the time, which are promptly forgotten because it turns out nobody ACTUALLY cares about new Nintendo IPs, or they're digital only so they don't count, or they're casual, or what people actually mean is they want one of Nintendo's old or less-used IPs to be remade instead.

I'm not saying wanting new IPs is wrong, but Nintendo hasn't exactly been resting on its laurels either. Games like Harmoknight, Pushmo, and Dillon's Western are all quality download titles and new IPs, Nintendo published games like Pandora's Tower and The Last Story, and even takes some risks by branching out their existing franchises into odd genres.

Plus we have no idea what all Nintendo is working on. Right now they need to sell as many Wii U's as possible, so they are hitting hard with some famous names and unique exclusives. Miyamoto (#1 think tank) is probably very busy finishing up and polishing Pikmin 3 to perfection. After he is done with Pikmin 3 we'll see what project he works on next. In the meantime, what exactly is wrong with more of a good thing, honestly?

3D Land was great, more of that is good right? New stuff to boot.

Mario Kart is always good. More of that is good right? New stuff to boot.

Smash Bros is always good. More of that is good right? New stuff to boot.

Pikmin is amazing. More of that is good right? New stuff to boot.

DKCR was good, more of that is good right? New stuff to boot.

Plus by default we can assume a Zelda is in the works, and Zelda is always an extremely high quality title. One could argue they are somewhat samey, but they generally tend to be different from each other to a large degree. They chose to focus on the 3DS Zelda at E3 instead (since its near complete), which even being a "remake"/sequel to LttP has completely new elements. Plus an HD version of a classic is being released to tide fans over (Zelda: Wind Waker HD), which is obviously not "original" and just an old game in HD, but that is a popular thing to do these days (its 10 years old anyways, and won't play on Wii U ). Its a shame they didn't add more content, but they did more to the HD game than most companies do with HD ports.

And look at what they are publishing:

Bayo was great, more of that is good right?

Wonderful 101 is a completely new IP.

X we don't even know much about, but already looks different than XenoBlade, and amazing.

They also captured an exclusive from Sega:

Sonic: Lost Worlds, which looks great so far, and completely original (well, to Sonic at least)

Its not like Nintendo is making yearly installments with little to no differences and/or poor quality either, or releasing a partial game with DLC to buy to complete it. Nintendo's software still screams quality 90% of the time, and quality takes lots of time. Not to mention they are doing all of this this while simultaneously maintaining an EXCELLENT library on the 3DS.

So just give them time. Just relax and let the fun roll in :)

Edited by Crowbar Man

Remember when everyone was excited about skyward sword, but then at E3 they showed the Wii U Zelda tech demo...

Sure, I was still hyped for Skyward Sword, but you got the sense bigger and better things were on the horizon.

I'm not surprised they didn't usurp Wind Waker HD in the same way. We may or may not see Zelda U before the end of the year, but to expect to see it before WW is out seems a little churlish to me.

After all, not long to wait :)

I love Journey and Bastion, but they aren't system sellers nor "blockbuster" titles. They are games made by smaller indie companies who have room to experiment. Indie games ARE where the more unique games are coming from these days. If you're looking for truly unique experiences look to the indie scene not a top tier publisher. That being said, Nintendo still pulls out some amazing new ideas in both their old IPs and their new IPs. A lot more than most big publisher/devs who have almost all stagnated into making cookie cutter boring products.

If you read Thalzon's post, they've started experimenting on new IPs on 3DS (Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, HarmoKnight), I'm sure they will get experimental on Wii U once sales pick up on the system itself. Right now it doesn't even benefit Nintendo to get experimental on their on console if nobody is buying the console. They need system sellers. They know familiar titles (like Mario) are system sellers.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Nintendo still pulls out some amazing new ideas in both their old IPs and their new IPs. A lot more than most big publisher/devs who have almost all stagnated into making cookie cutter boring products.

This is the opposite of what I've witnessed or how I feel about Nintendo. :dstrbd:

They wouldn't even have to be 'experimental'. They could just do ANYTHING apart from making the same games over and over...

Who are you comparing them to?

EA, ActiVision, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, Sega, Microsoft, 2K, etc

Have all stagnated and create pretty much the same products or complete garbage over and over again.

Ubisoft has some samey stuff but they are trying new IPs all the time or doing unique things with their old IPs.

Sony to their credit manages to find some talent here and there to keep their console interesting, but overall it is hit or miss with them.

EDIT: forgot to mention Valve since technically they are a publisher. Valve is probably the only publisher/dev on the same level as Nintendo IMO.

I don't know of a single publisher that consistently releases high quality and innovative material as Nintendo. And they double as the developer of those products 90% of the time!

Edited by Crowbar Man

I don't compare Nintendo with other publishers because they're not on par, they're still catching up. The fact that they're releasing the best Sonic title in recent time is sad, and the fact that they had to save Mega Man from being a fat, alternate box art mess. They're not on the same level as EA, Activision, Konami, Microsoft, 2K, etc.

Can't tell if your praising Nintendo over the other publishers or saying they are beneath everybody else. You seem to have worded it both ways in multiple posts!

I found it very depressing that Nintendo has treated Mega Man with far more respect than Capcom has lately :/

Edited by Crowbar Man