Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

BioShock Infinite is a a "colorful" CoD clone full of violence and blood. I beat it already. Boring gameplay (remember my comments in the Infinite thread? still sticking to em) IMO at least.

So instead of it being a "Brown shooter" it is a "slightly less brown shooter". Not a good example. How the heck can you stick BioShock Infinite in a colorful happy fun game category anyways, you monster? (j/k lol)

No No Kuni is a pretty good example, but rare. It was made by Studio Ghibli for God's sake. How many games can say they have an entire animation studio behind it?

Thats it?

Heck i can provide more examples that actually fit:

KH3 (Coming sometime in the future on PS4/XBO)

Knack (Coming to PS4 exclusive, but looks like its just a colorful brawler. Nice Pixar like FMVs though?)

Ratchet & Clank (Kinda hard to call this series colorful though, its in space so mostly black, and he uses big guns and shoots things all over the place. Its light hearted at least, and the ONLY 3D Platformer series left outside of Nintendo)

This isn't a huge list

Edited by Crowbar Man

BioShock Infinite is a a "colorful" CoD clone full of violence and blood.

You lost all credibility.

Here's a few more

Devil May Cry

2007_10151268854108445_380129337_n.jpg

Tales of Graces F, Tales of Xillia, etc, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean 4 (or series), Bastion, Fez, Borderlands 1 and 2, Brutal Legend, Braid, Darksiders 1 and 2, Dishonored, Fable series, Hotline Miami, Mini Ninjas, Orcs Must Die 1 and 2, Remember Me, Scribblenauts, Sonic Generations, Sleeping Dogs,

224191_10151166560923445_1310809045_n.jpg

just to name a few. Some of those might have even been on a Nintendo console, but we're talking about developers, not systems. Sorting by budget is also irrelevant, some of these are indie, some of them are blockbusters, the budget does not affect how colorful a game is. They don't pay by the shade.

happy fun game category anyways

Maybe I misread the entire point of this conversation to mean colorful games, not fisher price games.

Tales of Graces F, Tales of Xillia, etc, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean 4 (or series)

RPGs (like No Ni Kun and KH3 mentioned earlier) still try to capture that colorful style. They are few and far between though compared to brown shooters and now "realistically styled RPG" that seems to becoming more and more popular. Nintendo did have Earthbound... they need more Earthbound :/ They still have Fire Emblem and Mario & Luigi though.

Borderlands 1 and 2, Devil May Cry, Brutal Legend, Darksiders 1 and 2, Dishonored, Remember Me, Sleeping Dogs

Most of these (sans a few "colorful" ones) are dark gritty games full of violence/bood and for the most part some of these are pretty realistic. The hell Brandon? Youre definition of "colorful" is a bit odd

Sonic Generations

Probably goodish example, but it wasn't exactly Nintendo level of polish or quality. Pretty damn good though!

Bastion, Fez, Braid, Hotline Miami, Mini Ninjas, Orcs Must Die 1 and 2, Scribblenauts

Oh hey, these are some of those indie games I talked about, and totally not AAA games made by big publishers. Right on! Why are you listing them though? :)

Maybe I misread the entire point of this conversation to mean colorful games, not fisher price games.

Well by colorful I certainly didn't mean completely colored in red blood. Monster.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Some of those might have even been on a Nintendo console, but we're talking about developers, not systems. Sorting by budget is also irrelevant, some of these are indie, some of them are blockbusters, the budget does not affect how colorful a game is. They don't pay by the shade.

Amount of violence and blood is irrelevant. Personal misrepresentation of games is irrelevant. I'm done here.

Bastion and Fez, AAA games

(Bastion is exactly the kind of game I LOVE though, I haven't played Fez yet)

And indeed my preference for more colorful art direction isn't anything to do with mood, a lot of my favorite games are not over the top happy, I don't believe a game having more mature or dark themes should relegate it to being dominated by brown and grey.

In the past Nintendo has even made good use of this, a lot of the foreboding and sinister atmosphere in games like Majora's Mask and Super Metroid comes from skillful color selections.

You're making a lot of excuses when Brandon has literally listed dozens of games that are colorful. The conversation was about art direction, not game genres.

Nintendo isn't the only game company that makes colorful games. Tons of AAA games and indie games use a very colorful, saturated look. Blizzard in particular loves to use lots of color in WoW, Starcraft, and Diablo III.

Counterpoint: Twilight Princess is exceptionally faded in relation to other Zelda games.

Sorting by budget is also irrelevant, some of these are indie, some of them are blockbusters, the budget does not affect how colorful a game is. They don't pay by the shade.

Err except when I said "outside of the Indie scene" and you list Indie games. :/ Indie games are more colorful because they are games usually created by people who want to make games the way they want rather than focused on what will sell. They make them more artsy and creative because that is what they wanted to do. I'm a very very large fan of the Indie scene and probably have played more indie stuff than AAA in the last couple of years

I'm done here.

Oh if we could only have such luck :/

DarkeSword: I dunno, I don't consider much of what he posted as "colorful", just dark gritty games that have a splash of color in them. Sleeping Dogs for example... what color does that have other than neon lights in the city? It isn't a colorful game. Its a dark realistic GTA alike. Most of the examples he provided are also full of violence, which I guess you can technically mix violence and color but it seems weird to provide these as an example when talking about Nintendo style games *shrugs*

When I think "Colorful" i think Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Crash, Spyro, Klonoa, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Tomba, Bomberman, Sparkster/Rocket Knight, a lot of JRPGs (like the ones he mentioned), Kingdom Hearts, several Treasure games, etc. These games are ACTUALLY colorful. Not... Darksiders, Sleeping Dogs, Brutal Legends, etc. The hell is "colorful" about those games?

He has also been heavily trolling, saying everything Nintendo makes looks bad and calling happy light hearted fun games "fisher price games" :/ I think he hates happiness

I do like the list of games he provided though. They ARE some examples of the industry doing something other than the status quo (kinda). It still is a pretty small list, spread across multiple companies, multiple consoles, and across an entire generation. But a good list of why obviously more than one gaming machine is needed to enjoy the full spectrum of gaming.

Bayo 2 is the closest thing to the kind of style Brandon likes on the Wii U published by Nintendo (developed by Platinum). (Note: he also says he likes the way Pikmin 3 looks. Yet he never says anything good about Bayo2/Pikmin3 while he bashes the Wii U over and over. Convenient!)

I wouldn't expect to see too much of these types of games he listed on the Wii U by Nintendo simply because those types of games aren't Nintendo's style. They aren't into hyper violent games, the only "violent" games Nintendo has published games have usually been 2nd (Rare, when they had them) or 3rd party (Platinum). If all you are interested in is violent games, Wii U is a pretty poor choice.

If you are interested in colorful happy fun that can be enjoyed by the entire family however, Wii or Wii U is generally your best bet as it will have generally more of that kind of content than PS3/PS4/XBO/360. Most of it by Nintendo themselves!

Edited by Crowbar Man

You know what would be nice for this thread. Not having the same two guys continuously argue with each other for the last three weeks.

Man, how about this system and its respective lineup of software? Isn't that just discussable?

Agreed, but I get bored. :-o

And when I said I was done here, I meant that day. ;-)

it seems weird to provide these as an example when talking about Nintendo style games *shrugs*

Angry birds? FarmVille? These are colorful Nintendo-esque games!

He has also been heavily trolling, saying everything Nintendo makes looks bad and calling happy light hearted fun games "fisher price games" :/ I think he hates happiness

I do hate happiness but I never trolled.

Bayo 2 is the closest thing to the kind of style Brandon likes on the Wii U published by Nintendo (developed by Platinum).

Nope, didn't like the first Bayonetta, no interest in the second one. Tasteless sexual exploitation and cruddy gameplay, a poorly made DmC clone.

I wouldn't expect to see too much of these types of games he listed on the Wii U by Nintendo simply because those types of games aren't Nintendo's style....... If all you are interested in is violent games, Wii U is a pretty poor choice.

Tell that to Nintendo. They shouldn't have marketed to Hardcore gamers if they had no intention of keeping it up. You guys talk like Nintendo is against hardcore games, so why is Black Ops 2 and ZombiU on the system, and others coming? :/

If you are interested in colorful happy fun that can be enjoyed by the entire family however, Wii or Wii U is generally your best bet as it will have generally more of that kind of content than PS3/PS4/XBO/360. Most of it by Nintendo themselves!

I strongly disagree with this assumption. There are more family friendly games on other consoles and PC as well, which gets most of the multi-platform stuff.

You know what would be nice for this thread. Not having the same two guys continuously argue with each other for the last three weeks.

Man, how about this system and its respective lineup of software? Isn't that just discussable?

the only somewhat relevant thing i can think of to discuss are these Year of Luigi wallpapers

that's relevant, right? there's some NSLU stuff there

ya know what

let Brandon hate what he wanna hates

if we all think he's stupid, well I guess that's just so nice for us

because he clearly isn't converting to the belief in the Wii U here any time soon

Maybe you need to stop caring so much about what he thinks of the Wii U. I have a Wii U and I love it, and I don't agree with Brandon on a lot of stuff, but you need to knock off this "he's stupid because his opinions are different from mine" crap.

I do really, really like my Wii u. And I will most-likely enjoy these games on it, and i have no problem with them apart from thinking they don't make full use of the HD and the amount of detail that the Wii U is capable of. It's probably too much to ask for a new 3d Mario game that has the level of graphical quality and detail of Ni No Kuni. Imagine the Ni No Kuni overworld in the style of Super Mario 64. I'd buy that in a heartbeat....

ni-no-kuni-4.jpg

also: http://firsthour.net/screenshots/ni-no-kuni/ni-no-kuni-forest.jpg

I mean I don't think the Wii U is capable of Ni No Kuni level of graphic quality but they could definitely work towards something with that much detail...

I do really, really like my Wii u. And I will most-likely enjoy these games on it, and i have no problem with them apart from thinking they don't make full use of the HD and the amount of detail that the Wii U is capable of. It's probably too much to ask for a new 3d Mario game that has the level of graphical quality and detail of Ni No Kuni. Imagine the Ni No Kuni overworld in the style of Super Mario 64. I'd buy that in a heartbeat....

To be honest, I'm also really bored with the NSMB style of aesthetics, but I'm wondering why you think the Wii U isn't capable of achieving the level of detail in Ni no Kuni. I didn't finish the game yet, but the game's detail seems to be more attributed to animation quality rather than how many polygons/horsepower of the system.

Angry birds? FarmVille? These are colorful Nintendo-esque games!
I do hate happiness but I never trolled.

Hmm.

"a poorly made DmC clone"

An incredible game as Bayonetta you call a poorly made DmC clone, yet you love Dante's Inferno which is literally a poorly made GoW/DMC clone. Hmm.

Tell that to Nintendo. They shouldn't have marketed to Hardcore gamers if they had no intention of keeping it up. You guys talk like Nintendo is against hardcore games, so why is Black Ops 2 and ZombiU on the system, and others coming? :/

I'll actually agree with you on this one. No they shouldn't of. It was an extremely dumb idea and did not push any units as a result. It may have actually worked if they had a decent CPU in the unit and the 3rd party ports worked well and the unit was the same price as other competitors, but none of this happened. Complete failure on Nintendo's part. And they are rectifying it by doing what they do best: Making Nintendo games.

I mean I don't think the Wii U is capable of Ni No Kuni level of graphic quality but they could definitely work towards something with that much detail...

Errm... No Ni Kuni was on the PS3 (Weak GPU, difficult CPU). Most of the "bad ports" on Wii U I mentioned, while chug compared to the 360 game, some still out perform or match the PS3. Wii U's issue is its CPU, not its GPU. No Ni Kuni isn't even a graphical powerhouse on the PS3 even, its strength is in its beautiful art, animations, etc. That just needs talent and disc space (Wii U has a 25GB disc). Some of its textures are pretty bad actually and it has a lot of blocky background models here and there. Great game though but if it can run on PS3 it can run on Wii U and then some. You've played Nintendo Land right? That is a game designed solely for the Wii U, even with its simpler style it should give you an idea of what the Wii U can handle in terms of sheer graphical prowess.

Its really hard to tell if you aren't trolling all the time Brandon. I feel bad if you aren't though :/

Neblix;

I am looking forward to all the happy colorful beautiful games coming out for it

Look if you want to put Sleeping Dogs and happy go lucky colorful family oriented games in the same category you can. You'd be wrong, but you can. I made a giant list of games I was referring to.

Again, here is the list of games I was refering to:

Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Crash, Spyro, Klonoa, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Tomba, Bomberman, Sparkster/Rocket Knight, a lot of JRPGs (like the ones he mentioned), Kingdom Hearts, several Treasure games, etc.

I even forgot Rayman.

No violence doesn't negate color, but you know... when you pick games that aren't even particularly colorful (a splash of color on a gritty bland background isn't colorful) AND are full of violence, when I was referring to the style Nintendo uses (obviously) its a bit odd.

Edited by Crowbar Man

ni-no-kuni-4.jpg

also: http://firsthour.net/screenshots/ni-no-kuni/ni-no-kuni-forest.jpg

I dunno...

x_1.jpg

X seems to be lookin' quite nice

x_2.jpg

I think for a title this early in the Wii U's life span...

x_3.png

It shows that it can easily reach the levels of Ni no Kuni, and beyond, once devs get a bit more familiar with the hardware.

also your link leads to an ACCESS DENIED page, fyi

edit:

here have a pikmin 3 shot too

zlCfzRDRdBwPwPPCsy

Edited by Mirby

Crowbar, are you sure you are not confusing "Colorful" with "Cartoony?"

Also:

col·or·ful

/ˈkələrfəl/

Adjective

Having much or varied color; bright: "a colorful array of fruit".

Full of interest; lively and exciting.

Synonyms

picturesque

Saints Row The Third had loads color in it, but you seem to think that cartoony is the only way colorful can happen.

Brushfire: I agree with you there, Saints Row is a pretty colorful game. He didn't list Saint's Row. Half of what he listed was bunch of dark gritty games that only had small splashes of color here and there. Big difference. Saint's Row still has an overall dark tone to it though

I don't think Saint's Row is happy go lucky family oriented fun at all =p

I listed the games I was talking about that more so matches the definition. A whole bucket load of games. I don't know why you keep listing a dictionary definition of just the word colorful. Even that barely matches the games that were listed. You guys are being very nitpicky. I've come up with a whole giant list of games I was refering to and all you guys keep doing is bringing up games full of blood and violence. What is wrong with you guys? lol

Its a pretty sad state though when you guys can't find many AAA high quality big publisher games that ARE NOT full of blood and violence.

Keep in mind, I just finished Last of Us (I loved it). I'm not saying these games aren't good, or beautiful works of art on their own right. They are clearly a different type of game than say, Mario and Sonic. 0_o

Again that is why I have multiple consoles. The blood filled / gritty games on PS3/360 (and soon PS4/XBO). The happy go lucky fun family oriented games on Wii & Wii U. Sometimes you can get one on the other, but this is generally how it works for a majority of the library.

Moving on:

Super Luigi U! Pikmin 3! Someone talk about the actual games on the Wii U. Too much negative vibe

Here is a bunch of "bad graphics":

WiiU_Pikmin3_scrn11_WP.jpg

Super-Mario-3D-World-Wii-U-Official-Screenshots-Nintendo-004.jpg

WiiU_MarioKart8.jpg

screen-5.jpg

Super-Mario-3D-World-7.jpg

WiiU_DKCountry_scrn05_E3.jpg

Platinum:

Bayonetta-2-14.jpg

the-wonderful-101-gif.gif

Edited by Crowbar Man

Super Luigi U might be too hard for me. I made it up to Iggy's castle and feel simultaneously agitated and exhausted. The levels would be a challenge enough on their own, but then you have the frickity-frack 99-second timer. And these are nintendo seconds, not real seconds. So it's really more like 60 seconds to finish a level. Fun but not for the faint of heart.