Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Sure, the outlook is bleak, but your argument that ubisoft should drop wii u is irrelevant. You are comparing almost brand new console to consoles that have been out 7 or more year.s In that case you could also put xbox one and ps4 on that chart and put '0' next to it. There are katrillions of 360's and ps3's out there, and when the install base for any console grows, so will overall sales. That chart failed to list that information, so on paper it looks as if it supports your argument.

I am not suggesting that Ubisoft drop support. They ARE doing it. Also, flawed logic. Saying that we should put the Xbox One and PS4 on that listing is dumb because they aren't out yet. WiiU IS out. It has been out for quite some time. They created the exclusives with/for Nintendo under the expectation that the system would return some of their efforts (mostly with money, you can't turn in a good metacritic score for store credit at your local Publix). The consumer base has ignored the WiiU. They continue to do so. When you have big box publishers jumping ship, and EA and Ubi are two of the biggest, what is to stop the smaller publishers from following suite. They see the WiiU as toxic for their pockets. And they will pass those savings on the consumers.

The chart means almost nothing. It doesn't account for the number of their games available for each system, the length of time the system has been out, or the install base, as Megadave mentioned. Just as with Pikmin 3, each big release will see a gradual increase in the userbase.

Even so, I don't forsee the Wii U selling at original Wii numbers but nothing will change that. The Wii popularity boom was a one-time thing. However, I think it's gonna be real interesting to see how the next generation pans out. Big budget games are being released less frequent than before, and the indie game craze is picking up steam. Every day, I see more and more indie devs announced to be Wii U-licensed and that'll be good for all of us.

I mentioned this quiet a few times: Big publishers tried to put games on the Wii U to cash on a possible repeat of the Wii. That didn't happen. So publishers (Well mostly just EA) are pulling support because they are only interested in large numbers. Ubi isn't pulling support by the way, they are making plenty of games on Wii U. They still have quite a few big titles coming out on Wii U (Watch Dogs, Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell: BL, AssCreed 4, etc), just nothing exclusive as of right now. Saying they dropped support isn't true.

I don't care anyway because I probably wouldn't get the Wii U version of any 3rd party multi platform game myself. Anybody who bought a Wii U solely for 3rd party games is a bit goofy anyways (Completely ignoring reviews/facts and trends/history and the impending new consoles)

Multiple times mentioned this too: Nintendo is the only one that can get Wii U's numbers up. No 3rd party will magically rescue them. Nintendo is attempting to repair the situation by releasing a bunch of their hits here in the near future. This is bound to increase sales. Once the numbers go up, some publishers/devs might return/invest more into the Wii U.

Nintendo is at fault for the Wii U nose diving because instead of creating a bunch of quality titles, they released a few tech demos and tried to let 3rd parties have the spot light. Terrible idea. You can get these games elsewhere, and better. "You can get the same games here, they run almost as good (sometimes maybe not), only we are more expensive" isn't a good campaign

No I do not think they will ever reach Wii numbers at this point, and probably wont even nearly reach PS3/360 numbers. Third party support may not even return, especially once devs start dropping 360/PS3 level games.

But as long as there are good games made / published by Nintendo (and any 3rd party who takes a chance on the machine), who cares?

For example: Pikmin 3! Finally!! Its coming and I can't wait!

Also in case you guys didn't see earlier:

EARTHBOUND on Wii U VC is out today!!

For those who haven't experienced the magic of this game, HIGHLY recommended.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Denial sure is strong man.

Ubisoft took a gamble on the WiiU and lost. Despite the well received nature of ZombiU, the consumers ultimately arent backing the WiiU. That could very well change, but the outlook is still bleak.

well recieved? it got 7s and 8s and several 5s and 6s. it's a below average game both in terms of survival horror and shooting.

if zombiu was put out on another system and just changed the cool double screen stuff to pause menus, it would tank. horribly. there are tons of games who have done what they tried to do much better. zombieu is one of the few games i've sold back to a retailer. it wasn't very entertaining.

There are rumors of Nintendo acquiring Atlus. I hope they do. Atlus is a good company and since Nintendo are lacking 3rd party support they might as well beef up there first party:

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/07/atlus-for-sale-rumor/

Any of you guys picking up Pikmin 3? I'm thinking I might get it.

Atlus is a good company, but what is to stop Nintendo from kid-friendedly nerfing Atlus's more adult offerings like the Persona series?

Because Nintendo must mean SUPERKIDDY FUNTIMES YAY automatically and all second-party devs that they own must make their games adhere to some SUPERKIDDY FUNTIME policies automatically to be under Nintendo's wing. Totally.

Except said policies don't actually exist.

Nice slippery slope there, Brush, but it appears you've slipped down it yourself.

The fact that Nintendo long ago moved away from the kiddy image is one thing. Add on how Atlus has been able to get their games on Nintendo consoles when they choose to with (very minor) alterations for several years now (several SMT games were on DS and we did just get SMTIV on 3DS), and with Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei on the way...

Pretty sure if Atlus was bought by Nintendo, it would remain business as usual.

Atlus is a good company, but what is to stop Nintendo from kid-friendedly nerfing Atlus's more adult offerings like the Persona series?

Well, I don't see that happening at all. Have you seen Samus gigantic boobs and ass in Other M? Have you even played Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, which has plenty of allusions to racism, sex, and other "grown-up" topics. Heck the latest Fire Emblem on DS has downloadable bikinis for some of their characters. And don't pretend you don't remember what Nintendo did with Rare on Conker's Bad Fur Day. Go ahead,and troll if you want man, but at least get your facts straight.

Still, it's possible that Nintendo would tone it down a bit, but Nintendo are often surprisingly quite naughty themselves. Too bad we never got Captain Rainbow in the US.

Edited by megadave

Well, I don't see that happening at all. Have you seen Samus gigantic boobs and ass in Other M? Have you even played Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, which has plenty of allusions to racism, sex, and other "grown-up" topics. Heck the latest Fire Emblem on DS has downloadable bikinis for some of their characters. And don't pretend you don't remember what Nintendo did with Rare on Conker's Bad Fur Day. Go ahead,and troll if you want man, but at least get your facts straight.

Still, it's possible that Nintendo would tone it down a bit, but Nintendo are often surprisingly quite naughty themselves. Too bad we never got Captain Rainbow in the US.

250px-Fire_Emblem_Radiant_Dawn_Box_Art.jpg

Rated Everyone 10+

I am not saying that is what is going to happen. I, and you know too Mirbs, that the Big N likes to stay away from M Rated games. They have published them in the past. Look at Eternal Darkness. Published by Nintendo, Rated M, Fantastic. But the acquisition of Atlus would/could jeopardize the great games and etablished franchises that Atlus has given us.

Internally, Nintendo generally doesn't like to make M titles. They have 2nd parties (ie Rare (once upon a time), Silicon Knights, etc) and publish 3rd party (Platinum) material for M rated stuff. If Nintendo did acquire Atlus, they would more than likely become a 2nd party, therefore no issue with M rated material.

But... does an M really make a game any better per se in the first place? Seems like a lot of people are obsessed with a game having that M on it.

Also as mentioned, Nintendo generally doesn't go out of their way to acquire large companies. So rumor probably isn't going to happen. Atlus and Nintendo do have a pretty cozy relationship right now either way

Edited by Crowbar Man

.....sigh. You're probably right. Don't take this the wrong way, but I want you to be wrong. This is just what Nintendo needs right now to help get itself turned around. But if they can continue developing for Nintendo and Sony then I'm okay with that too. As long they don't go under because of their parent company.

But... does an M really make a game any better per se in the first place? Seems like a lot of people are obsessed with a game having that M on it.

Sometimes it's refreshing to play games with mature content in it, eg System Shock, Deus Ex, Resident Evil, House of the Dead: Overkill, etc. You know, because games don't have to always be inoffensive. If the next RE game was E for Everyone, wouldn't it make a difference?

Nintendo just needs to release some damn games to help get itself turned around!

The 4th can't get here any faster

Sometimes it's refreshing to play games with mature content in it, eg System Shock, Deus Ex, Resident Evil, House of the Dead: Overkill, etc. You know, because games don't have to always be inoffensive. If the next RE game was E for Everyone, wouldn't it make a difference?

Yeah, but M rated games aren't exactly rare these days. There are an overabundance of them. Fire Emblem is fantastic as an E or T rated game, there isn't a need for it to be M for example. I'm just saying games don't have to be M to be good. I wouldn't play Dues Ex, RE(4 and earlier), SS2, MGS, etc just because they are rated M. I play them because they excellent well designed games

Also, judging by RE5 and RE6, it would take a miracle to make the next RE game good. Being E would probably be the least of its problems.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Because I am an adult, and sometimes I want games that I can relate to on an adult level about mature things.

That said, down with this: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/17/phoenix-wright-dual-destinies-rated-m-due-to-various-crimes-a/ (which is not an Nintendo title, I know)

Ah yes, obviously you can't have anything mature and on an adult level without being rated M. Everything below M is childlike and not worth playing, because you sir, are an adult. :-P

In my experience, most M rated games are generally the most immature games. Blood/Gore/Violence/Cursing does not make a game "mature" IMO. I don't know how being obsessed with playing M rated games would make you an "adult" either honestly. Seems kinda childish... or a condition.

Again this coming from a guy (also "adult" I guess?) who plays M rated games regularly (I don't pick them because they are M, they just happen to be). A games ESRB label shouldn't matter.

I thought the previous PW games were pretty dark / mature as is. Either the ESRB is cracking down or something weird has been added to this new one.

(psst, also, not only not Nintendo, but not even a Wii U title, way off man)

Edited by Crowbar Man

Kettle sure is black around here.

I admit I'm a big Nintendo fan. I don't think they're better than the other two bigwigs. I just see them as a company that is very important to gaming, which I am passionate about, and want them to succeed. I don't troll the Xbone and PS4 threads, so when someone like you trolls this thread, I feel that it's my duty to defend the subject matter, aka Nintendo's console.

You're probably thinking that every single console in my room in a Nintendo console, and that's not true. I've been revisiting Dead or Alive 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 on my 360 and I've also been very deep in the Neo-Geo fighting games of yore.

Nintendo is very important to gaming, just like Sony and Microsoft. Yes, I want Nintendo to claim a piece of the pie, and I want them to be successful, and I want to see their new console be successful. Nintendo fans have had to deal with losing a lot of 3rd party support, so to me, it's nice to see the haters get a taste of their own medicine. Not necessarily a random Sony fan. One of my closest friends is a hardcore Sony fan who will have the PS4 day one. I have no problem with that. So, if Nintendo acquires Atlus, and throws a "bit of salt" around, and a troll like yourself gets butt-hurt about it, then I'm all for it. As for my Sony buddy, he can bring his PS4 over, we can play PS4 games. We can play the next Persona on Wii U. Or not, because really, it's just speculation.

Brandon Strader criticizes Nintendo for the right reasons - he thinks they are making bad decisions. He has the right to express his viewpoint. He's genuinely pissed off at Nintendo and the decisions they have made. And I'm cool with that. You on the other hand, can kinda be a turd sometimes. But if that's what floats your boat, then go ahead. You're not getting to me. I enjoy trolling your trollness. Have a lovely, peaceful sleep.

In my experience, most M rated games are generally the most immature games. Blood/Gore/Violence/Cursing does not make a game "mature" IMO. I don't know how being obsessed with playing M rated games would make you an "adult" either honestly. Seems kinda childish... or a condition.

Excuse me? Most M rated games? Surely you're joking.

Nope! Take some simple examples: GTA series, Saints Row series, Conker's Bad Fur Day, nearly every single FPS made from Doom foward (especially Duke), Mortal Kombat, heck you can probably throw any action game with tons of gore in there (God of War comes in mind) in there. "Mature"/"Adult" games generally aren't mature in content.

Most games that deal with things in a mature/adult manner actually get rated Teen (Most Japanese style RPGs for example).

Obviously there are M rated games that aren't quiet as immature (HL2, MGS, Deus Ex, SS2/BioShock, Mass Effect, etc) but those are fewer compared to the giant mass of M rated titles.

so is this supposed to be satire or what

Doesn't look like it. :/

Brandon Strader criticizes Nintendo for the right reasons

Err... I wouldn't go THAT far.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Nope! Take some simple examples: GTA series, Saints Row series, Conker's Bad Fur Day, nearly every single FPS made from Doom foward (especially Duke), Mortal Kombat, heck you can probably throw any action game with tons of gore in there (God of War comes in mind) in there. "Mature"/"Adult" games generally aren't mature in content.

Saints Row is a bit satirical and ridiculous, I'll give you that, but GTA is a good example of a game with truly mature content like what you'd see in a rated R movie. Harsh dialogue, a lot of complex adult situations, there's a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor in there, and that's OK.

Some other games with mature ratings:

Halo series, BioShock series, Assassin's Creed Series, Crysis series, Max Payne series, The Last of Us, Spec Ops: The Line, the Metal Gear Series, The Elder Scrolls series, all the Guilty Gear games, most of the Shin Megami Tensei series, Borderlands, Gears of War, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect series, Parasite Eve, Diablo series, Catherine, L.A. Niore, Dragon Age series, Prince of Persia series, Fallout series, Heavy Rain, Nier...

These games have adult themes and yes, blood, gore, sex, and some adult humor. I enjoy these deeper themes where people die, you feel actual consequence, etc.

Because I am an adult, and my gameplay experience goes beyond games with little or no dialogue, little to no plot, where things of not much circumstance happen, etc etc etc.

Some titles can pull off mature stories without having an M rating, some can't, and some don't even try. That's ok.

but...

A) If you think that most rated M games are all for gratuitous blood and gore (with no actual substance), you're lying to yourself.

B) If you don't think adults want games with adult themes...well...I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Ramaniscence