Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Can I just say that I bought one on day one and am still enjoying it. If anyone bought it for any games other than what Nintendo is making it really misses the point. The reason why I buy Nintendo consoles is for Nintendo games, they're always amazing and you practically can't find them anywhere else. The Wii U is honestly a great console in my opinion since it's way more flexible in that you can be creative with how you control games or keep it simple. The difficultly with the Wii was that there was really no way around the awkward remote and nunchuck if you wanted to make a simpler game. But the gamepad is much more familiar while still being capable of cool new things such as using the controller as your POV.

So gang I have a question, and I'm sure this has probably been posted in the thread at some point, but due to the new Wii U Wiimotes being problematic on certain USB bluetooth adapters such as the internal on my laptop, I decided to grab a used Wiimote Plus for the original Wii on Amazon. My question though is will a nunchuck that is branded as a Wii U Remote nunchuck also work with an old Wiimote for the original Wii?

No such thing as a "Wii U specific" Wii (or Motion+) Remote or nunchuck. I'm guessing it is 3rd party and some companies just label it Wii U so people know it will work on Wii U just in case people don't realize Wii stuff works on Wii U. Nothing has changed as far as functionality or compatibility between Wii and Wii U on the Remotes and Nunchucks

The nunchuck attaches to the Wii Remote anyways

Edited by Crowbar Man

As much as I hate to admit this, that is a disappointment to me. That said, there's no telling what they will have in its place. The yellow devil is there in the trailer, and an adventure mode of some kind is confirmed, which leads me to believe that there will be character stages. There could be an entire series of stages with Mega Man theme, or a whole Metroid sub-section. My anticipation remains high for Smash U, although I will miss the Brawl-style scenes. Then again, after playing Subspace twice, I skip all the scenes after that.

And one could argue that forgoing the cutscenes will allow the developers to focus on stage design, enemy designs, balancing, perhaps extra characters and just polish in general, so it's not a total loss from my perspective.

Edit: Maybe even some decent online for Nintendo's flagship fighting game?

Everything Nintendo has been doing with their stance against Youtube remains idiotic. There is no way that having their cutscenes on Youtube somehow ruined the game for people who played it. If anything, having cutscenes and gameplay on youtube may have inspired people TO play/buy it. This is a game, not a movie. Even a movie can inspire someone to buy it once they watch it if they liked it enough. But most people play games to play games, not watch them. Especially something like Smash. Nintendo's entire stance of trying to control or shut down everything on Youtube unfortunately is one of those incredibly frustrating parts of Nintendo that sticks out when they "Don't get it."

That being said, the CG scenes were a little bit of a waste. FMVs are no longer impressive and haven't been since PS1 so why companies tend to use them constantly is beyond me. Wii maybe wasn't a good place for real time cutscenes but Wii U certainly would be. They could easily replicate a story experience in real time if they wanted to, so i'm not sure if by "cutscenes" they mean FMV or cutscenes in general. It would be cheaper so there wouldn't be an excuse of expensive really. If they are going to cut out any sort of mode beyond Melee's Adventure Mode well that will be unfortunate. But it is a fighting game so expecting anything story related is kinda bonus material and not the main course

Edited by Crowbar Man

Yeah, at this rate they better get that online down pact. Between having Namco/Bandai working with them (who have plenty of online fighters) and cutting out the story mode they will have little excuse to have the online mode be as shoddy as Brawl

On a side note, there is a Smash U/4 Thread already opened so probably more discussion on this should head on over there anyways.

So speaking of Wii U

There is a promotion to get a "free" $5 or $10 credit on eShop going on until Sunday ...

The catch is you have to add up between $50-99 to get $5 credit and $100+ to get a "Free" $10 credit.

So not exactly a great promo, but if you were already planning on buying the digital version of any of the upcoming big releases might want to take advantage of this promotion for what it is worth

Details:

http://club2.nintendo.com/rebate

Edited by Crowbar Man

I think it's hilarious that Sakurai thought that the story was important enough in Brawl that he just couldn't stand to ruin the surprise in the next installment, removing the mode entirely. It's completely absurd, and points to a serious mixing up of priorities!

I think Sakurai's complaint was that he designed the cutscenes to be a "reward" for advancing in Subspace, but since people were watching the cutscenes online, then they didn't work as a reward as he intended to. I'm too lazy to find the interview where he says that though :razz:

Doesn't change how retarded that thought is, though. No one loves a game because of the "surprise" of a cutscene. Content is king and the real reward.

Edited by EC2151

Plus if people did want to use cutscenes as a reward.. they obviously wouldn't go on Youtube to watch them. Spoilers are frowned upon for a reason. The only people who would watch it on Youtube: Don't care, already watched them, or simply curious.

I don't think a single soul said "I would of bought Brawl but i could watch the movies FREE on youtube so HA!" They don't even do this for heavy cutscene games because there is still usually some level of interaction in between scenes. Smash is not a game you get for cutscenes.

By the logic used here, you might as well not make videogames anymore because someone will stream some part of it on the internet. Dumb.

I just hope at the very least we get some sort of in depth Adventure mode to make up for the lack of "cutscenes." That and the online mode better rock :)

Edited by Crowbar Man

Well there are plenty of people that for example have watched The Last of Us entirely on youtube.

But let's be real here. Nintendo doesn't give a shit about high level play scaring people off, and they're just using youtube as a scapegoat. Sakurai has made it clear the long, crazy hours he's been working, and he's admitted to even having injured himself in his work. No, he just doesn't want to make a story mode due to the resource cost. Let's be quite real here.

I think it's hilarious that Sakurai thought that the story was important enough in Brawl that he just couldn't stand to ruin the surprise in the next installment, removing the mode entirely.

no see the point is that having a significant amount of development funds go into something that the large majority of players probably either skipped in haste or watched for free on the internet is actually - surprise - a waste of time and money for something that is completely inconsequential for a game

if one is the kind of person that's really disappointed that their video game isn't going to have enough non-interactive cutscenes you're probably bad at this whole 'video games' thing

Well there are plenty of people that for example have watched The Last of Us entirely on youtube.

Yeah I'm sure there are. But if they never plan on playing it I wouldn't really call them gamers. Gamers buy games to play them. You'd be missing out on actually playing Last of Us which is a completely different experience than just watching the cutscenes. Heck, even games like Heavy Rain (which is almost entirely cutscenes) have some interactivity to them

If you don't want to play a game you probably aren't going to buy it therefore watching it on Youtube isn't a loss.

Conversely, if you watch a game on youtube, you may become interested in it and convert to a sale.

Anyway, Smash isn't a series you play for cutscenes in the first place, so really its kinda a wash. But blaming it on Youtube is absurd.

Edited by Crowbar Man