Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Yeah I'm sure there are. But if they never plan on playing it I wouldn't really call them gamers. Gamers buy games to play them. You'd be missing out on actually playing Last of Us which is a completely different experience than just watching the cutscenes. Heck, even games like Heavy Rain (which is almost entirely cutscenes) have some interactivity to them

If you don't want to play a game you probably aren't going to buy it therefore watching it on Youtube isn't a loss.

Conversely, if you watch a game on youtube, you may become interested in it and convert to a sale.

Anyway, Smash isn't a series you play for cutscenes in the first place, so really its kinda a wash. But blaming it on Youtube is absurd.

just gonna go ahead and say from my experience in translation, he didn't 'blame it on youtube;' that's just the easiest way to frame it in English.

if people are just going to watch things like that, i.e. cutscenes, on youtube, why not take that cg and put it into videos that are meant for out-of-game, general consumption? like the character intros that have been done so far? would that not be the best of both worlds? that's pretty much what he said. it's just aggressive wording, chosen by a translator and not him.

Because the people who paid for the game and/or actually want to play it, didn't "just watch it on YouTube." It is a way different experience to play a game (and get those scenes) than just watching it. Again this would be like saying why put a story in a game at all if people can "watch it on Youtube." Makes little sense.

In the end I think they just didn't want to spend the money. Though again they could of just used realtime scenes instead of FMV, its much cheaper. Oh well, its Smash so it really really doesn't matter anyway, its just the concept that someone would not do something because "oh no someone might see it on YouTube!".

Putting CG FMV in adverts (for "general consumption") that won't be anywhere in the game and/or the game obviously wont look like them is a little bit of false advertising, which Devs/Publishers seem to do all the time now, which is incredibly annoying. I wish people would stop using FMV in general honestly, especially in trailers.

News:

So Amazon is listing WW HD for $50 on Pre Order now.. here is hoping that is a placeholder price tag (like their $99) and the game doesn't release for $50-60. That is way too much for an HD rerelease. Especially a single game. GameStop is also listing it at $59.99 though. I'll be skipping this one sadly if that is the real price tag Wind Waker is great, but I can still play it on my Wii (with the Tingle Tuner) or on Emu in HD already. HD, Miiverse, Bloom, and faster Boat isn't worth $60 IMO :/ Was looking forward to it too

Edited by Crowbar Man

I wouldn't say that, they have tons of high quality titles on the way that are worth $60 (Pikmin 3 next week!), but this particular item is just an HD rerelease. A new coat of paint isn't $60 material. Most of the HD releases on PS3 are $30 for example, and often contain 2+ games, or even cheaper as single downloads. Hopefully this is a placeholder price but we'll find out in October I guess

Edited by Crowbar Man

I wouldn't be surprised if it releases at $60. Nintendo is a price gouger. The main problem being that their games rarely if ever actually feel like they hold the value of a $60 price tag. :cry:

Dude I am like the opposite of you lol. Every Nintendo game I've bought in the last year on the Wii U and 3DS has been very entertaining to me. I almost never regret ever buying their games, which is why I always buy them.

Recently I bought Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion and they're fantastic, I couldn't be happier with them. Their polish and classical game design (as in puzzles and exploration rather than shooting something) is so fresh by comparison of most of the market.

I've just never been dissatisfied with a Nintendo system, even the Wii had merits in its Nintendo games (but there definitely wasn't enough for anyone other than Nintendo fans).

I wouldn't be surprised if it releases at $60. Nintendo is a price gouger. The main problem being that their games rarely if ever actually feel like they hold the value of a $60 price tag. :cry:

This is interesting, considering Nintendo's practically the only triple-A developer left that releases games that don't require a bajillion bugfixes over the span of several years.

This is interesting, considering Nintendo's practically the only triple-A developer left that releases games that don't require a bajillion bugfixes over the span of several years.

Before you start making ridiculous claims like "nintendo never makes buggy games," please direct your attention to to youtube, and look up Nintendo game glitches. One such glitch break Animal Crossing so you can dupe items and never have to actually work at the game. Up until they patched it a year and a half later, Mario Kart 7's Maku Wuhu had a glitch that allowed players to cheat and end up way ahead in the race. Nintendo doesn't release perfect games.

Before you start making ridiculous claims like "nintendo never makes buggy games," please direct your attention to to youtube, and look up Nintendo game glitches. One such glitch break Animal Crossing so you can dupe items and never have to actually work at the game. Up until they patched it a year and a half later, Mario Kart 7's Maku Wuhu had a glitch that allowed players to cheat and end up way ahead in the race. Nintendo doesn't release perfect games.

not at all what he said. none of the things you mentioned unavoidably break the game, screw up gameplay, or (get this) affect the games they're in unless you *choose to use them for your own purposes.* The only truly game-breaking glitch that I can remember from a Nintendo game was in Metroid Prime 3 where if you save in a certain room after a certain event a door wouldn't let you out of where you were supposed to be. And Nintendo immediately was like 'hey don't save here' and it was never a problem again.

The examples you mentioned are nothing compared to the oft-broken AI and physics of Skyrim or pretty much anything made by Bethesda, the bugtastic Dead Island, Gears of War, Sonic Adventure 1 AND 2 (which people still consider good games somehow). All of these games are full of naturally occurring, don't-have-to-go-really-far-out-of-your-way-to-find, experience-breaking, if not game-breaking, bugs.

Does Nintendo make perfect games? No. Is Nintendo as a company leaps and bounds ahead of the entire industry in terms of not releasing a game until all the kinks are worked out? Yes. There have been approximately 3 games over the course of Nintendo's entire tenure that have needed a patch put out. Try and find another company with that kind of track record

Edited by The Derrit

So Amazon is listing WW HD for $50 on Pre Order now.. here is hoping that is a placeholder price tag (like their $99) and the game doesn't release for $50-60. That is way too much for an HD rerelease. Especially a single game. GameStop is also listing it at $59.99 though. I'll be skipping this one sadly if that is the real price tag Wind Waker is great, but I can still play it on my Wii (with the Tingle Tuner) or on Emu in HD already. HD, Miiverse, Bloom, and faster Boat isn't worth $60 IMO :/ Was looking forward to it too

Ouch. I think I might have to agree with Crowbar on this one. I absolutely adore Wind Waker, but $60 is way too much. I would think that $40 is pushing it for me, let alone $60.

In other news, I'm totally pumped for Pikmin 3, and have been making my way through EarthBound lately. Did anyone else buy it?

The only truly game-breaking glitch that I can remember from a Nintendo game was in Metroid Prime 3 where if you save in a certain room after a certain event a door wouldn't let you out of where you were supposed to be. And Nintendo immediately was like 'hey don't save here' and it was never a problem again.

Do you know if they fixed it in Metroid Prime Trilogy? : (

I'm playing all three for the first time.

Do you know if they fixed it in Metroid Prime Trilogy? : (

I'm playing all three for the first time.

They probably didnt. Nintendo really doesn't like to patch things. Can't be bothered.

Upon research, no they did not fix it. However the did remove "Damn" from the game. Kudos.

The funny thing is this is actually that the glitch I described is from the original metroid prime, not metroid prime 3. nice "research." That has bee fixed in the Trilogy collection. Another similar progress-blocking issue in 3 has also been fixed.

the rotating gate obstruction (seen in the original NTSC version) is replaced by an energy field.
They also edited the game is such a way to discourage speedrunning. Why?

because it was done by removing secret rooms and glitches. one might even call it.... a.. patch?!?!?!?!

seriously, pick one side or the other. criticizing the fact that nintendo never patches and then criticizing a patch in the same breath is really stupid

Also, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT I WILL BUY IT FROM YOU FOR LIKE A MILLION DOLLARS

Edited by The Derrit

Does Nintendo make perfect games? No. Is Nintendo as a company leaps and bounds ahead of the entire industry in terms of not releasing a game until all the kinks are worked out? Yes. There have been approximately 3 games over the course of Nintendo's entire tenure that have needed a patch put out. Try and find another company with that kind of track record

Pretty much everything I tried to convey in that other post but wasn't bothered to go into that much detail because I figured people would have that much figured out by now.

finally.

someone actually stated an entirely true statement about Nintendo.

Speaking of Metroid, since Metroid Prime Collection is out of print right now Nintendo should upload the Wii versions to the E-shop for like 10-15 dollars a pop. They've said for a while now that they were going to upload GC titles. Why not Wii and GC titles? And, for that, why not now? Well, they finally released Earthbound, which is a game that wasn't already released on the Wii VC, so I'm hopeful they will start mixing it up on the E-shop. I'm glad that they're promoting Earthbound like this.

Also, Pikmin's the number 2 game in the UK right now, and that's after #1 in Japan. I can't wait to see how it does in the US. And that's Pikmin. Imagine how things might pay out for Nintendo's more well-known titles.

Antonio Pizza: Yes they have been fixed.

Brush: I'm not sure where you got the "they didn't fix it" and they "can't be bothered". Metroid Prime has a couple different versions, all of them fix the save glitch issue, which is well past fixed on the Trilogy version (which has fixes for all 3 games). You cant "patch" a GCN game so no idea how they were supposed to "patch" it. They probably would of offered to replace the disc with one of the new versions should you contact customer service with proof of purchase and sent in the old one. Nintendo is good about that kind of thing. They even offered to fix peoples save file when a similar glitch creeped up in Other M.

The Wii also did not have a very good system set up for patching. Heck, each game loaded different versions of its "OS" so there wasn't even a real central OS running on the thing. The 3DS I do not think at the time had a good system set up to patch games, I think that has been fixed now (lots of games now have new content and DLC) but I could be wrong. I know Luigi's Mansion needs some fixes for its online mode.

The Wii U for sure has this down pat now so expect glitches from Nintendo to be pretty minimal (like usual) and quickly ironed out (instead of disc/cart rereleases)

Either way these were very out of the way glitches you had to just be very unfortunate to save at a certain time and go to a specific area to trigger. Not something during a normal gameplay. Not saying Nintendo is perfect (most of their online outings have been glitchy in the past) but they do offer a level of polish and testing most people don't bother with

Edited by Crowbar Man

Shoddy in the days of the Wii maybe, but perhaps you should come to the present a bit. It's quite simple and hassle-free to download a patch via the 3DS eShop, and I'd imagine it's just as simple on the Wii U's eShop. They've improved considerably since the days of the Wii, so perhaps it's time to stop judging them for past mistakes that they've obviously learned from.

To be completely fair, on the topic of patching... Nintendo's games aren't nearly as complex or complicated as most games being released today. It's understandable that they would require less patching, not to mention their very shoddy online service that would make downloading patches a hassle.

the complexity of game systems within a game has exactly zero to do with the programming involved and the level of quality control required to bug-test a game. example: metroid prime vs. borderlands. do both have physics? yes. do both have complex 3d environments that interact with both AI and the player? yes. do both have collision detection? yes and kind of sometimes, in the case of borderlands. does the AI do what it's supposed to? once again, yes and sometimes kind of. structurally speaking they are the same because they are 3d, free-movement games. you can't just say 'it's simpler so it's easier for nintendo' because it's not simpler OR easier. at all. and the same goes for pretty much ANY GAME that's not a 2d platformer.

on top of that, even if you WERE right, it's a pretty moot point. it's like saying 'chess is less complex than calvinball, so no wonder it doesn't need any patching; chess is dumb and simple.' an elegant system that works all the time is 150% better than a 'we made all these crazy, off the wall, unbelievable interactions! but sometimes they don't work and make the game go crazy. have fun!'

don't be an apologist for shoddy quality control as a way to try and act like nintendo games "are too simple." because you're a) wrong and B) wrong again. the fact that companies would complain about patches being difficult to put out (which is a legitimate gripe) pretty much exposes the entire rest of the industry for being okay with putting out a game that's got bugs all over it still.

just to bring this entire debate full circle: TL;DR

you guys: nintendo games are glitchy. me: no they aren't. you guys: nintendo never patches their games. me: they have when they've needed to, but they pretty much never need to because they have the best quality control. you guys: nintendo doesn't need to patch their games because they're too simple. me: your logic is flawed and inaccurate, and even if it was accurate is a completely moot point.

there's no other angle you can take at this you're just wrong in every direction. you've even argued opposite sides of the same point to try and find a new way to paint nintendo in a negative light. i mean, come on. you should be embarassed.

Edited by The Derrit

To be completely fair, on the topic of patching... Nintendo's games aren't nearly as complex or complicated as most games being released today. It's understandable that they would require less patching, not to mention their very shoddy online service that would make downloading patches a hassle.

I think simplicity is part of the complexity. When you have a great game that's really simple, that takes more thought than one may think. And Nintendo STARTED a lot of what we see nowadays, and they did it right the first time. They caught on to the idea of 3D gaming and how to do a game in the 3D realm quickly and nailed it better than anyone else. No competition. Super Mario 64 practically founded many of the 3D perspective ideas (with OoT following up) and Super Mario 64 was an absolutely outstanding game. Personally it's still my favorite game of any game.

Lately, it seems to take a lot less to "patch things up" with a Nintendo game, but they still try to perfect their stuff as much as they can, and I can see it. It may not be a great game, but they try their hardest to polish it up.