Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A price drop to 299 for the deluxe model was just announced, and there's going to be a Windwaker bundle some time this holiday. Also, Windwaker is due October the 4th but the digital download will be out in September.

No word on the the regular 8 gb model yet. Hopefully it will be phased out.

Edit: Also Mario 3D World on November 22 and DKC:TF on December 6th.

Edited by megadave

PhotoAug2812149PM_zps622650da.jpg

*Wind Waker HD Bundle comes with a download code for Wind Waker HD, a Wind Waker themed GamePad and the Hyrule Historia art book) all for the same price as the newly discounted system (starting September 20th) - $299

Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze switched release months, with SM3DW coming out in November & DKCTF coming out December 6th.

All you need to know.

Edited by ocre

I played The Wonderful 101 at the Wii U Experience last September, and it's incredibly good. I've been hyped for it ever since (after being meh on it before playing it).

It's getting good reviews right now, which is great. I recommend everyone at least check out that demo.

I live in Europe and own The Wonderful 101 since 2 days. Yesterday I was a bit sceptical, didn't try the demo, and I'm not that much into the typical superhero/cartoony stuff. But after another play session today, all I can do is highly recommend it. Lots of humor, great visuals, it's all eye candy and the bosses are awesome. Dare I say it, reminds me of a child-friendly form of God of War. Definately worth the money :)

I live in Europe and own The Wonderful 101 since 2 days. Yesterday I was a bit sceptical, didn't try the demo, and I'm not that much into the typical superhero/cartoony stuff. But after another play session today, all I can do is highly recommend it. Lots of humor, great visuals, it's all eye candy and the bosses are awesome. Dare I say it, reminds me of a child-friendly form of God of War. Definately worth the money :)

Same here.

Yesterday I played the first 'proper' level (not the training bit) and struggled through feeling fairly 'meh'.

Today I played the second level and it 'clicked', replayed the first level and died 5 fewer times and the level was completed fifteen minutes faster.

And in addition to that I had TONNES of fun.

I've been sort of waiting for a price drop to pick up a Wii U, but... I'm still not sure there are enough games to make it worth it. About the only things I'd be really interested in are ZombiU. Pikmin 3, and Wonderful 101. I'm sure that there will be more stuff that I'm definitely interested in eventually, but if I'm going to spend $300 on something, I want to be able to enjoy it now.

I guess we'll see how I feel in a month.

Well, they've put themselves out of an immediate danger zone by distancing themselves from PS4's price but I still think $300 is a little pricey ($250 would be the "sweet spot" for most). But bundling WW with a price drop was probably a great move on their part. Also moving up 3D World from December to November is a pretty interesting move.

Sad news is $49.99 price tag confirmed for even the digital version of WW:HD.. *sigh* I'll pass :/

Edited by Crowbar Man

I've been sort of waiting for a price drop to pick up a Wii U, but... I'm still not sure there are enough games to make it worth it. About the only things I'd be really interested in are ZombiU. Pikmin 3, and Wonderful 101. I'm sure that there will be more stuff that I'm definitely interested in eventually, but if I'm going to spend $300 on something, I want to be able to enjoy it now.

I guess we'll see how I feel in a month.

ZombiU & Pikmin 3 are out now. Wonderful 101 comes out soon. I would recommend waiting til September 20th, getting the Wind Waker bundle for $299.

Side note: Crazy that Wii U will be $200 less than Xbox One.

And I'm not sure why $50 for full featured remastered & retooled Wind Waker is a bad deal. Are full featured games less valuable now for some reason? Do you bat an eye when Disney doesn't sell Aladdin on BluRay for $10?

Edited by ocre

ocre: Most HD collections are $30, and come with multiple games. Digital versions of those HD ports are often only around $10-15 for a single game.

$50 for an HD port of a single game is wayyy too pricey in comparison. $50 is the price of a NEW game created from scratch where actual work was needed to be done.

No real work goes into an HD port. Calling it "full featured remastered & retooled" is a complete stretch. Its slightly touched more than an average HD port but not a gigantic amount. I was happy Nintendo was putting slightly more effort into it than most HD ports, but I didn't know it was coming at a premium price tag. Expected at MOST the usual $30

Now I'll have to skip it or wait for a price drop. :/

Edited by Crowbar Man

Just to put things into perspective:

- PS4 ($399) + 1 game ($59.99) = $460

- Wii U(WWHD bundle - Digital Wind Waker HD + Hyrule Historia) + Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze ($49.99) + Sonic Lost World ($49.99) + Super Mario 3D World ($59.99) = $460

- Xbox One ($499) + 1 game ($59.99) = $560

*prices before tax & PS+/Xbox Live subscription costs.

Has this been mentioned anywhere? $59 (MSRP is $54.99 so might even be cheaper) and you get physical version of the game AND a limited edition Ganondorf statue?

...might pick up WW:HD after all!

Still my opinion that the $50 for just the digital version is a total rip.

Edited by Crowbar Man

ZombiU & Pikmin 3 are out now. Wonderful 101 comes out soon. I would recommend waiting til September 20th, getting the Wind Waker bundle for $299.

I... know? I'm saying that I'm not convinced that paying $300 for a system that has three exclusives I care about is worth it. Yes, there will certainly be more eventually, but that's an argument for buying it later, when they come out, not now, when they haven't.

I don't really care about HD Wind Waker. Wind Waker works just fine on my Gamecube right now, and I don't feel the need for an updated version.