Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Wii U really isn't failing as much as everyone is making it look like it's failing.

it's not doing great, but it's really not failing. and I have a feeling it will do much better this holiday season. additionally, quite a few extremely successful franchises are releasing the next installment in their series next year, like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. if people still get attracted to that stuff like they always have in the past, I can guarantee you the Wii U will be doing better.

but I'm also not expecting the Wii U to be extremely successful compared to the Wii either. The Wii was ridiculously successful and it's going to be hard to one-up it, whether or not anyone thought it was a good console or not hehehehe

I'm gonna need to get one of these soon. I could plug it into a computer monitor that supports HDMI input, right? I've been using a CRT for gaming up to this point, never really watch TV, and would prefer not to buy a new TV if I can get away with using stuff I already have. Who here has experience with this? Is it worth doing? Are there issues with that kind of setup? I don't know anything. I literally don't know anything. Help me.

I'm gonna need to get one of these soon. I could plug it into a computer monitor that supports HDMI input, right? I've been using a CRT for gaming up to this point, never really watch TV, and would prefer not to buy a new TV if I can get away with using stuff I already have. Who here has experience with this? Is it worth doing? Are there issues with that kind of setup? I don't know anything. I literally don't know anything. Help me.

it works i've been doing it with my 360 for years, no lag issues, looks pretty. you'll have to sit further away than you're used to though to play the wii u games what with the controller and all that might be interesting to get used to

I think Wii U is already well into its flop period, and is now in the recovery phase. I don't know if Wind Waker HD or Super Mario 3D World will be enough to pick up sales but it's a good start. Nintendo needs to really buckle down and start producing higher quality, faster, and with much more diversity, to make up for the lack of 3rd party development. I remember when the gamepad was being shown off by Nintendo as a way to play FPS games and that they were going to have hardcore games and such. Not saying Nintendo needs to make hardcore games, but a new IP, maybe focused at teens, would not be unwelcome.

Microsoft and Sony are already locked in a death struggle over the 15-35 male gamer demographic, Nintendo doesn't need to try to muscle into that territory. They need to keep doing what they've been doing with the Wii and the 3DS -- leveraging their system's unique mechanics, and their IPs, to offer something that you can't get on any other console. That basically means more first party titles -- Nintendo's always done well with first-party stuff, and it's games like Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros that sell Nintendo consoles.

We'll have to see how it does during the holiday season, given that it's the cheapest of the next-gens by $100. I still don't think that the Wii U has a solid system-seller, but it's slowly amassing a respectable library even without a single must-have title.

Edited by Native Jovian

I don't think a $100 difference is that big of a deal. I don't think that's why PS4 outsold Xbone presales, if Xbone had been the better overall presentation / console it could have easily been on top. So I don't think being $100 cheaper is going to be what helps WiiU sales... I think the new Zelda (not the remake) will be one of the first steps on the path... or Smash Bros, whichever comes first. :o

I don't think a $100 difference is that big of a deal.

You are not the average consumer. A price advantage isn't going to move consoles by itself, true, but the fact that the Wii U is $100 cheaper than the PS4 and $200 cheaper than the Xbox One is going to make a lot of difference to people who are just buying "a new game player" rather than knowing specifically which console they're interested in.

Edited by Native Jovian

You are not the average consumer. A price advantage isn't going to move consoles by itself, true, but the fact that the Wii U is $100 cheaper than the PS4 and $200 cheaper than the Xbox One is going to make a lot of difference to people who are just buying "a new game player" rather than knowing specifically which console they're interested in.

^^^^^this.

it works i've been doing it with my 360 for years, no lag issues, looks pretty. you'll have to sit further away than you're used to though to play the wii u games what with the controller and all that might be interesting to get used to

Hmmmmmmmm, sounds good. Thanks.

I've watched the Mario 3D World trailer several times now. Looks amazing. The last two home console games I bought were Skyward Sword a couple of years ago and the La-Mulana remake about a week ago. Meanwhile I'm constantly running out of space on my 3DS. :P

To be honest, I don't give a crap about the price point, but then again, I'm not the right demographic to care.

While, yes, the Wii U has been amassing a library, I really think Nintendo has lost it's touch. None of what they've been releasing or announcing has interested me. The majority of what they've been catering to are gamers who are stuck in the era of 2D platformers. Mario isn't even a series anymore so much as it is a genre now. Super Mario 3D world is a disappointment to me. I have yet to see any bit of a new Zelda game, but even so, I don't doubt that it could be a disappointment as well. The new DK game is also a 2D platforming drop-in-the-bucket. Honestly, a new Metroid Prime game would be about the only thing that would interest me at this point. I'm really tired of the "famury game-purae" trend Nintendo has been going with since the middle of the Wii's life. They just don't seem to care anymore about trying to be revolutionary and new, and it really bothers me.

At the same time though, I'm also peeved at developers. The Wii U isn't under powered or anything, but developers of AAA games refuse to make ports to it. GTAV for instance could have been made for the Wii U, and it would have attracted a lot of people!

I just wish that Nintendo would change it's image at least. They're capable of doing much better than they are now...

At the very least, at the very, very, very least... a 700MB+ firmware update should have fixed the extraordinarily laggy system menus. The whole thing just feels glacial to me, and moving between two very rudimentary options screens shouldn't trigger ANY sort of loading/wait time whatsoever...

Yes, games are more important, but I can't shake the feeling every time I use the system that it's just S....L........O...........W......................, and it affects my overall perception. No amount of fun menu music can compensate; I'd rather have COMPLETELY SILENT menus that actually function & respond... and I love music. :tomatoface:

Edited by djpretzel

gamers who are stuck in the era of 2D platformers.

I stopped taking you seriously after reading this part.

However, it's pretty much agreed that the system menu loading times are ridiculous and baffling as to why they exist. Didn't they say they were gonna release 2 updates to resolve the issue (1 Spring, 1 Summer)? I remember the Spring one but what happened to the Summer update?

Mario isn't even a series anymore so much as it is a genre now. Super Mario 3D world is a disappointment to me.

How? It's not even out yet. Did you play it at PAX or something?

I have yet to see any bit of a new Zelda game, but even so, I don't doubt that it could be a disappointment as well.

Why? Zelda is always great. Skyward Sword was really good, save for a couple of interface issues.

I'm really tired of the "famury game-purae" trend Nintendo has been going with since the middle of the Wii's life.

Nice casual racism.

yeah '100 dollars isn't a big deal' doesn't say much other than to show how little you understand about the weight money carries in middle to low-class families

100 dollars is a very big deal

Dude do you think I'm rich or something? Cause I'm really not. I'm just good at budgeting my money. I make minimum wage. :-P

How? It's not even out yet. Did you play it at PAX or something?

Why? Zelda is always great. Skyward Sword was really good, save for a couple of interface issues.

Nice casual racism.

Played it at PAX yeah, but also just don't like the newer Mario games, because they've dumbed it down "to it's roots" to appeal to the "retro" and "casual" gamer. That's fine, but they also took out a bunch of the challenge and secrets the older ones had. They're ok games, but they don't excite me, and I think they're milking them too much. When I first heard about 3D Land I was excited, because I was expecting a new 3D Mario adventure game like SM64. When I realized it was 2-1/2D I was hesitant but got it anyway. Overall I thought it had a decent amount of levels to unlock, but it was WAY too easy (the fact that you are given an invincibility suit if you die too much REALLY ticked me off), and it was very forgettable. This one is basically just 3D land with a few changes, none of which are very interesting. Cat suit is ehh... It should have been on the 3DS, but even then, I really had hoped we would get another Galaxy or Sunshine...

The new Zelda I'm actually interested in! I was a little surprised they didn't make a Majora's Mask remake but I love Wind Waker and thought it looked nice! They did mention that this new Zelda would try to go back to the original formula, in that you don't need to defeat the dungeons in a certain order, but I'll need to see how and if they go through with that. Skyward Sword was probably my least favorite in the Zelda series, but it had elements I liked. Flying was fun :3

I was having a hard day. What I mean is I'm tired of Nintendo's conflicted goals. The Wii U was released with a goal of attracting more of the hardcore gamer demographic, yet they're still putting emphasis on casual gaming, with a continued lack of support for AAA titles. To be fair, they've shied off from emphasizing this as much, or at least have tried too, but they still do it, and it bugs the hell out of me. NINTENDO! GAMES THE WHOLE FAMILY CAN ENJOY! EVEN GRANDMA IS HAVING FUN!