Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

GMixer: Not sure why you take issue with me talking about the Wii U in the Wii U thread.

zircon: Wii Party U looks pretty promising for a Party style game. Guess we'll see when it comes out (I had some high hopes for Wario Ware and that didn't turn out hot after all)

Edited by Crowbar Man

**Super Mario 3D World <- Probably a Wii U "must have", but doesn't come out until 11/22

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - If you like MH at least. Online with other Wii U users, and local play with 3DS users.

New Super Mario Bros U - If you dont mind NSMB style, this one is pretty decent. Pass if you didn't like NSMBWii

Wind Waker HD - If you didn't get the WW bundle, and don't mind spending a lot for an HD remake

Thats about it if your going for ZombiU/101/Pikmin 3/Rayman Legends those are some of the Wii U's best offerings. Slim pickings unless you delve into 3rd party ports you can get elswhere

I'm not particularly interested in WWHD, personally. I loved the original Wind Waker, so I really have no problem with just popping that back in my Gamecube and playing it, rather than paying for the HD version, "improved" though it may be.

The Mario stuff I'll probably check out sooner or later, but for one reason or another, I'm not really super excited about them. I'm sure they'll be fun if I pick them up, but they're not really a system-seller for me.

As far as Monster Hunter... never gotten into that franchise, either, though I have seen some pretty

of it, so I might check that out too.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a modern 2D Mario with difficulty and stage design reminiscent of the games of yore, New Super Luigi U is always a good choice. I found it quite fun, though some of the secret exits were diabolically well-hidden, and the Star Coins were very well-placed, often requiring several runs through a stage before I finally got them all.

It was quite refreshing, honestly.

also sent you a request, wake

Ah you beat me to it. I've watched the trailer three times already. I haven't been this excited for a Mario game in a very long time. I'm glad that they're offering so many suits and power-ups this time around. Not just fire and tanooki, but those plus boomerang brother, doubles a la Ninja Gaiden 2, and a cat suit.

This game looks like everything I love about the different Mario games rolled up into one game. It's good to see that others are reacting positively as well. Almost all of the initial impressions that I've read have been very positive.

Also, my girlfriend rented Game and Wario for me - I think the game was getting mixed reviews because it is so difficult. It's the hardest mini-game / party-game that I have ever played, and requires quite a bit of skill to beat. I highly recommend the game - I loved the Wario Ware on Wii, and after actually sitting down and spending some time with the new game, I think it is a great follow-up. I have yet to see another Wii U game use the gamepad as extensively as this one.

On November 1st, the US Deluxe model (32 GB Black + Extra Stuff) bundled game (previously Nintendo Land) will be replaced with the Super Mario Bros U + Super Luigi U.

Nintendo Land is dropping form its (insane) $59.99 price tag to $29.99 ... which is still pretty expensive IMO. (Should of still of been included at least digitally in the Deluxe model IMO too)

Sadly, Wii Party U reviews coming in are not showing good signs. Not sure if anybody has picked this up to confirm. Looks another case of "You are basically buying another controller and get throwaway game" :/ I was hoping for a really nice Mario Party successor. ND Cube has been having a hard time taking over the "Party" series.. I miss Hudson :(

Also... not that I wasn't half way expecting it... bad reviews pouring in for Sonic Lost World (Which is out in PAL & Japan territories... US at the end of the month). What a let down.

But Super Mario 3D World continues looking more and more fantastic so can't wait!

Edited by Crowbar Man

I think 3D World will definately be a system seller. Heck, I wouldn't of thought Zelda WW HD would of pushed consoles but Wii U sales spiked pretty big with the release.. could of had to do with the price drop too though. We'll see how sales are when Mario 3D World comes out, but.. they've timed it against the release of PS4/XBO. That is some pretty poor planning IMO, it should of been this month to lure people away, not the same month/week/DAY. Pretty dangerous gamble

The Zelda bundle or the Mario (NSMBU+SLU) bundle, and Mario 3D World is a pretty powerful combo overall for the holiday, just unfortunate the big guys are unloading all the next gen this holiday too. Heck, lots of AAA titles across ALL platforms new and old are being released near the same date.

Budgets can only be stretched so far

Edited by Crowbar Man

Yeah, at least for me, Nintendo lost the gamble. I'm gonna have PS4 and Knack on day 1 :-)

Everyone kept saying, oh Pikmin 3 will be a system seller, oh Wonderful 101 will be a system seller, then these games came and went, I think Pikmin 3 shifted something like 480,000 copies and The Wonderful 101 something around... 60,000 copies? Worldwide? Definitely not a system seller, and it bombed particularly hard in Japan.

It's at the point where Nintendo needs to do something huge to save the Wii U. Revive an old IP, or bring a full fledged HD Pokemon RPG to the Wii U. Maybe even release a Pokemon MMO on PC. And basically... release their games on other consoles and systems.

Wonderful 101 was also timed poorly... releasing it at the same time as Pikmin 3, obviously people mostly went with Pikmin 3. Pikmin 3 did pretty well for itself, those aren't COD/GTA5 or even Pokemon numbers but considering how many Wii Us are out there it did pretty well. Its only a few months old and its sold nearly half of the total worldwide sales of Pikmin 1 did its entire GCN lifecycle, and there were 20 million GCNs... there are "only" 4 million Wii U's so far. System sales spiked a bit in every territory it released, it just didn't stay that way unfortunately.

Also, the whole "release games on other consoles/systems" probably isn't going to happen any time soon, if ever. Nintendo has stated in the past they would rather close up shop than that happening, and despite the low sales, they are still doing well for themselves. They are very profitable in their business. After all the money they made with the success of the DS/Wii last gen they could probably suffer through a couple of generations of "failures" before worrying. 3DS for example is doing great right now

What probably should happen IMO is for next gen Nintendo should release some sort of hybrid console/handheld that is completley portable but can still properly hook to a TV (and can use additional controllers, etc), pulling all their strength & IPs into a single focus. Right now they have an incredible lineup on the 3DS and a pretty weak one on the Wii U. Heck, they'd sell more Wii U's just having a 3DS adapter at this point.

If people could go to ONE spot to get ALL Nintendo stuff, and that platform had both benefits of console AND handheld, that platform would be awesome.

One can dream...

I'm still rooting for the Wii U though. Mario 3D World looks fantastic, and then we still have Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, and most importantly, the next Zelda. Tons of other Nintendo IPs that can be brought back to life, or even new IPs are possible. Biggest issue we're still having is the same issue Wii U has been plagued with this whole time: Not enough Nintendo.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Yeah, at least for me, Nintendo lost the gamble. I'm gonna have PS4 and Knack on day 1 :-)

Everyone kept saying, oh Pikmin 3 will be a system seller, oh Wonderful 101 will be a system seller, then these games came and went, I think Pikmin 3 shifted something like 480,000 copies and The Wonderful 101 something around... 60,000 copies? Worldwide? Definitely not a system seller, and it bombed particularly hard in Japan.

It's at the point where Nintendo needs to do something huge to save the Wii U. Revive an old IP, or bring a full fledged HD Pokemon RPG to the Wii U. Maybe even release a Pokemon MMO on PC. And basically... release their games on other consoles and systems.

Not sure why you post as if your enjoyment of the system depends on sales of games you didn't buy.

Also, I very much disagree about Super Mario 3D World not being a system seller.

Because it's important. My enjoyment of the system is based on it.. existing, and striving, and having third party support, and having good releases from Nintendo.

1) It does exist.

2) Striving?

3) How many times do we need to discuss that the third party support it's getting are sabotaged half-hearted efforts? For a recent example: Who is going to buy the Wii U version of Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag when Ubisoft is doing exclusive DLC on PS4?

4) Nintendo is releasing good games for it.

Also: Wow.

It's at the point where Nintendo needs to do something huge to save the Wii U. Revive an old IP. Maybe even release a Pokemon MMO on PC. And basically... release their games on other consoles and systems.

Yeah, those things sure sound like things that would 'save Wii U'.

Edited by ocre

3DS has a really nice library of both niche and exclusive titles. Pokemon X/Y, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey series, the Mario RPG type games (Dream Team I guess being the latest one, but also Sticker Star), and so forth. That's why I bought one, and I'm enjoying it so far. But to me the Wii U library and even upcoming offerings all look pretty lame, with the exception of 3D World.