Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

3DS has a really nice library of both niche and exclusive titles. Pokemon X/Y, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey series, the Mario RPG type games (Dream Team I guess being the latest one, but also Sticker Star), and so forth. That's why I bought one, and I'm enjoying it so far. But to me the Wii U library and even upcoming offerings all look pretty lame, with the exception of 3D World.

3DS will be 3 years old (in NA) in March while Wii U is barely going to be 1 year old next month.

This time around in 3DS's life, we were barely getting Super Mario 3D Land & Mario Kart (and Resident Evil Revelations) after a while of just Ocarina of Time & Star Fox 64 3D.

I wish we were getting Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze in December as previously announced but it's kind of good they delayed it to February to avoid the crowded holiday. (No one should be shrugging off DKC; the original game -as well as the 3DS port- did very well, not to mention it's one of the best games on the platform.)

Yeah, and it's sold something like 4 million... square enix would probably consider that a failure, haha. But to be fair square enix isn't doing so well.

And how long has Pokemon XY been out, again? The games will have great sales legs for a long while to come. Same can't be said of SquareEnix's properties these days. Also, Square Enix considers million-sellers (even after several months on the market) failures because they overestimate their sales projections compared to their production budgets, meaning they spend too much making their games than they realistically make on them.

Nintendo doesn't have that habit (at least, software-wise, har har).

Edited by ocre

Nevermind, ignore my post. Just leave it here and I'll say that the PS4 is a good-looking console, and that the experience that both Wii U and PS4 are offering are completely different, so I think anyone who has the money would do well to partake in both consoles. I was going to hark on PS4's online fee, but 50 dollars a year isn't that bad.

Edited by megadave
forget a few words to clarify what I'm trying to say

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't pay much attention to this Nintendo Direct when it first aired in September but looking back at it, the Wii Fit Meter really seems impressive. It's not just a pedometer, but also measures physical intensity, categorizes the type of physical activity you're engaging in, & even has a pressure sensor to measure elevation to more accurately measure expended calories.

Makes me want to look into getting it myself.

I didn't pay much attention to this Nintendo Direct when it first aired in September but looking back at it, the Wii Fit Meter really seems impressive. It's not just a pedometer, but also measures physical intensity, categorizes the type of physical activity you're engaging in, & even has a pressure sensor to measure elevation to more accurately measure expended calories.

Makes me want to look into getting it myself.

I quite enjoyed Wii Fit Plus a few years ago, and as I already had the balance board I decided it was worth shelling out for a fit meter in return for a free copy of the game. last night I installed the download (it took a while :-x) and Monday will be my first day out wearing it.

It'll be interesting to see what it registers from my day to day routine.

I'm also curious as to how well it will be able to distinguish between me walking and using public transport, so 24 hours from now I'll be able to give a full report on how it can handle: walking up and down hills, sitting in a car, sitting/standing on a train, sitting on a tram, stairs from 1 floor to 1 floor, elevators up 3-4 floors, sitting in an office and working behind a bench and all the minor derivatives in-between.

The game itself looks good, they've got most of the old activities plus some new ones that are designed to feel more like 'games' to draw you in. We'll see how long that remains fresh for. It's all presented with several minor organisational tweaks to make this feel like a far fuller health package than it offered previously.

It still announces your overall fitness by BMI however which for anyone with built up muscles is a sad, sad, sad thing :puppyeyes:

I really want to try the new wii sports bowling and tennis, but I'm thinking of waiting until the whole package comes out. I prefer disc games and am almost positive the disc will come out after all sections are released, must like windwaker hd and ducktales remastered. I'm glad that they included online play. Online wii bowling sounds awesome.

Nintendo are doing weekly eShop sales for Virtual Console titles for specific characters, including Link, Mega Man, Mario and DK.

This week's special focuses on Zelda games for 3DS & Wii U VC:

[Wii U Virtual Console] The Legend of Zelda — $3.49 (norm $4.99) Zelda II: The Adventure of Link — $3.49 (norm $4.99)

[3DS Virtual Console] The Legend of Zelda — $3.49 (norm $4.99) Zelda II: The Adventure of Link — $3.49 (norm $4.99) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX — $3.99 (norm $5.99)

Also, though this would kinda be news for 3DS more than Wii U:

eShop balances for 3DS and Wii U can be combined into your Nintendo ID following an update that will be released next month. Finally!

Now... if only they had stuff tied to an account... come on Nintendo!

Also:

Pikmin 3 DLC Mission Mode Round 3: 4 New Treasure stages and 4 new Enemy stages, featuring brand new levels instead of remixed old ones and play as Captain Olimar & Louie! (You have to find/rescue Louie in the stages and he becomes a Captain afterward!). Getting really addicted to the Mission Mode, wish they had some new story DLC though. After the update, 2 of the 8 will be available for free!

Edited by Crowbar Man

Brandon: NES games have been $5 since the original Wii (a price I've always thought too high IMO, especially since it doesn't vary depending on quality)

$3.50 is its sale price... which honestly isn't much of a sale IMO, should be like $.99 but meh, cheapest it'll probably get if you want these.

Plus... Zelda DX and Zelda I are amazing games. Zelda II is an odd one but decent. Worth it I guess if you haven't played it a billion times already :)

I would like to point out that the original prices for these games, even back in the 80s and 90s, was often $45 and higher.

$5 for a digital game that has been modified to run correctly on current hardware, with extra software features to make use of said hardware (like soft-saves and multiple save slots) is hardly a terrible price to pay.

And you're complaining about having to pay even less than that?

I have to assume you people start rioting when Steam has a sale and games are only 75% off.

And I'd like to point out that I can pay $15 or less for $60 games that came out just a few years go. Brand new amazing indie games cost anywhere from $5-15. And that I've probably played all these games a billion times, when they came out, and on emu

$5-10 for a ROM in an emu is pretty steep if you think about it. Especially considering there still is no account based system for Wii/eShop. Heck they even charge you extra to "upgrade" (just stick the ROM in the Wii U version of the emu). In some cases back on the Wii they were even too lazy to get the emu working with all features, like Star Fox's lack of rumble and Mario Kart 64's lack of Ghost Saves (both you can get with non-Nintendo emus). No idea if they plan on fixing those issues with the "upgrades"

Plus, EVERYTHING is on a static price, no matter the quality, so even garbage you wouldn't pick up at a garage sale for 0.10 is $5-10.

I just think just about all the VC games should start about half their prices to make them worthwhile. A $1.50 discount isn't much to celebrate.

In Comparison: Sony only charges $6 for PS1-era games, have an account based system, AND they work on PS3, PSP, Vita, and hopefully PS4 once they port the emu. That is a value/service worth paying for.

Edited by Crowbar Man